• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Damage Control

poconovfr

Keep pounding away - thats what I'm going to do. Now that racing seasons over we should get one side of Cliffy w/bumps and Asp back as well. I won't be silent at the pass holders party.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Wonder if Art will show up for the pass holders party. lol I think we've all been on him about lots of stuff all year.

jrmagic

That was some real heavy rain Saturday evening and overnight... Magic aint looking so magical but hopefully this storm will give us some more cover to keep things going for a while. I'm praying for a March dump!!

2knees

That was some real heavy rain Saturday evening and overnight... Magic aint looking so magical but hopefully this storm will give us some more cover to keep things going for a while. I'm praying for a March dump!!

i read your post in the new member intros. sounds like you go way back at magic. any chance you know the Quirks or the Cathcarts? Both families were magic regulars prior to the first shutdown. the quirks had a house in the litte development thats off to the left of the access road.

anyway, hope they get some more snow. the pics i saw of the black magic comp were pretty scary. more grass then snow. i have a voucher to use (got stuck on the red lift a couple weeks back) so i'm keeping my fingers crossed.

mondeo

At KMart, Fiddle is in tough shape. Royal Flush is in tough shape. The usual thin spots like skier's right of Skyehawk headwall are gone. Needles Eye liftline and skier's right of Needles under the Gondola have some rocks. The snowmaking trails are all edge-to-edge.

I was shocked at how well the upper part of the lower section of Vertigo has held up. It was in better shape yesterday around noon than it was three weeks ago.

Skier's right on O.L. is getting a little dicey here and there, the top section under the lift is fairly difficult to access right now. Bare spots showing in a few of the troughs on middle Vertigo and lower Wildfire. Thankfully, it seems like the rain Saturday was cold enough that it didn't really affect anything.

jrmagic

i read your post in the new member intros. sounds like you go way back at magic. any chance you know the Quirks or the Cathcarts? Both families were magic regulars prior to the first shutdown. the quirks had a house in the litte development thats off to the left of the access road.

anyway, hope they get some more snow. the pics i saw of the black magic comp were pretty scary. more grass then snow. i have a voucher to use (got stuck on the red lift a couple weeks back) so i'm keeping my fingers crossed.

The Cathcart name sounds familiar but I cant say for sure. I ahve a few friends with places on that circle. Anyways, if they have been there since before the closure I'm sure I am on at leat hello terms by face in the lodge.

LOL Yeah I didnt even want to watch the carnage of the competition. Besides I was having way too much fun on Talisman and some of the glades. Matt is reporting that they have 7 inches on the ground as of now so hopefully with a cold spell we will be good. There is still lots of snow in the trees.

I saw the thread about you getting stuck and then I saw the one with the video's you guys shot. Good stuff. I love that line on skier's left at the top of magician you guys took. Hope you get back there to use it.

Geoff

I was shocked at how well the upper part of the lower section of Vertigo has held up. It was in better shape yesterday around noon than it was three weeks ago.

Skier's right on O.L. is getting a little dicey here and there, the top section under the lift is fairly difficult to access right now. Bare spots showing in a few of the troughs on middle Vertigo and lower Wildfire. Thankfully, it seems like the rain Saturday was cold enough that it didn't really affect anything.

It's really too bad Killington doesn't shoot a base onto things like Vertigo and Fiddle to cover the worst of the rock. I really miss not having Fiddle in the 2nd half of March since it's often the only thing that softens.

I doubt I'll ski Wildfire until after they finish with the Grand Prix on March 15th. A high speed quad feeding one trail just doesn't work.

Beetlenut

Matt is reporting that they have 7 inches on the ground as of now so hopefully with a cold spell we will be good. There is still lots of snow in the trees

Lets hope those 7 inches at least cover up what the rain did! The cool down will help, as well as staying closed thru Thursday. Pat, where did you see the pics of the Black magic comp? I looked on their web site and didn't find anything. I'm planning on using up some Magic vouchers I have this Saturday unless it flat out pours.

2knees

Lets hope those 7 inches at least cover up what the rain did! The cool down will help, as well as staying closed thru Thursday. Pat, where did you see the pics of the Black magic comp? I looked on their web site and didn't find anything. I'm planning on using up some Magic vouchers I have this Saturday unless it flat out pours.

i saw them on tgr, which i lurk on sometimes. i'll post a link to the thread. i'll go find it now.

be right back. :lol:

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=153281&page=11

you have to poke around but there are various pics in this thread.

Last edited:

ERJ-145CA

I ended up going to Mountain Creek today because Hidden Valley was closed, presumably to preserve what they got left for the weekend. Looking at HV from the gondola at MC all the trails were still white but I could see a couple of brown spots. Mountain Creek was mashed potatoes today but their coverage was still pretty good, but some bare spots here and there. They closed Granite today for "maintenance and rebuilding" and are closing Vernon at 5 PM today so they will only be skiing and riding South tonight.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Raining in Ashland right now. March is in like a lamb... a soggy wet one with a minor sunburn. Let's hope it goes out like a lion. March is generally one of the best months for big storms and deep bases. Current trend is not so good.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Raining in Ashland right now. March is in like a lamb... a soggy wet one with a minor sunburn. Let's hope it goes out like a lion. March is generally one of the best months for big storms and deep bases. Current trend is not so good.

In reality, January was the only month with a trend that was good....no thaws. It's New England, it happens every year, but it seems that this year both the early season cycles and the ones we've been in since the beginning of February have been particularly bad. I was shocked last weekend how shallow the base was at lower elevations in Stowe/Smuggs. Still six feet up top, but hovering around 12-18 inches near the valley floors.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
In reality, January was the only month with a trend that was good....no thaws. It's New England, it happens every year, but it seems that this year both the early season cycles and the ones we've been in since the beginning of February have been particularly bad. I was shocked last weekend how shallow the base was at lower elevations in Stowe/Smuggs. Still six feet up top, but hovering around 12-18 inches near the valley floors.
January had no thaws (pretty rare) but just like the rest of 2009, no consistently snowy storm patterns. They just are not rolling in like they had been up until Christmas. A few big dumps (I missed all of them, LOL). But the best New England skiing isn't because of the big ones. It is because of those small once per week refreshers will lots of up slope.

Meanwhile, central NH got nailed again for a second year in a row. I still can't believe how much snow we still have up here... especially after a warm weekend and two rain storms. I recall many winters when I lived in MA that I-93 was completely bare for months at a time. With March all but halfway over, I can't say this season is going into my memorable list and despite good early season base building, it has been a bitter cold winter with not enough snow to snow despite the general lack of thaws.