• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Damage report?

gladerider

So, how did the slopes fare with all the rain?
Deciding between Killington and Stratton this saturday.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Killington got 3 inches of glue-snow the same night Stratton got rained on. 120+ trails at K with naturals and trees vs whatever Stratton has for boilerplate.

It's not really a decision... ;)

Kleetus

I find it hard to believe K got no rain. Looked like Sugarbush and Stowe got rain but could be wrong. Find it hard to believe K could escape rain and places further north couldn't.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

yeggous

Wildcat is unbelievable today. Best carving conditions in a couple years.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

Tin

Killington got 3 inches of glue-snow the same night Stratton got rained on. 120+ trails at K with naturals and trees vs whatever Stratton has for boilerplate.

It's not really a decision... ;)

Not sure Stratton got much rain. Magic got 2-4" of sleet and cement snow and it is 1000' lower. Stratton is awful when it comes.to grooming though.

That said, at Berkshire East which got a lot of rain but it is skiing fantastic. If it is decent here, decent at most places.

slatham

This weeks storm was did much less damage - if any at all - than expected. Seems that all elevations had some frozen, with a fair amount of base building snow above say 2,000' in SoVt (1-3"). Further north did better with Sugarbush reporting NO rain at the summit and 3" of glop. Regardless of form, whatever fell was very wet so it has surely set up with the cold.

But it is Stowe that seems to have won, at least in VT. They had little if any rain and have received snow squalls all week = 6" at base and 11" at summit over past 48 hours, with 3-6" last night alone.

gladerider

looks like i am headed to Stratton tomorrow.
i take a bus from NYC and the killington bus was sold out by yesterday. oh well. haven't been to Stratton in a couple of years so i am looking forward to it.

checking around, lake placid seems to have done well also.

bdfreetuna

I find it hard to believe K got no rain. Looked like Sugarbush and Stowe got rain but could be wrong. Find it hard to believe K could escape rain and places further north couldn't.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Was at Pico today and no indication that they've had any rain recently. If there was any, it wasn't a factor.

gladerider

stratton wasn't too bad. many trails were skiied out. stayed on the sides mostly. did shredwood a several times. ducked the rope on sunbowl liftline to get me some fresh. i was able to feel the crust under a couple inches of pow. got a friendly warning from one of the patrols but he was cool. it was fun to get out finally.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

gladerider

a question for the flatton regulars, when did they get the new gondolas? haven't been there for a few years. the new gondolas were legit. they were squeezing 8 but was really big enuf for 6 adults.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

xlr8r

New gondolas were put in 2 years ago. the people who have to sit next to the door don't have much legroom due to the hinges, but its a big improvement from the old cabins.

BenedictGomez

Next weekend looks grim.

Yeah, looks like a decent sum of rain with warm temps from Wednesday through Friday, followed by rapidly dropping temperatures and no new snow. Recipe for ice skating? I hope not.

I'll probably make a "go/no go" decision on my usual 3-day MLK trip on Thursday night, but looking at the CMC and the GFS tonight doesnt give me much hope.