• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Death at Cannon

freeski

Always sad to hear. I guess a young guy from Mass went into the woods from Upper Ravine. His car was left in the parking lot (I always think this is how they'll know I'm in trouble). I bet they monitor if a car is left after a certain amount of time. Multiple agencies searched for him last night. Not sure when he was found. He was not wearing a helmet. I think that's at least 6 at Cannon in the last 10 years. Pretty sure that's the most in that time period in the Northeast.

bootladder

Not sure where the tragic incident occurred on Ravine, but I can attest that Mickey's Corner needs fencing on the downhill side.

I went down there and if none of my friends were there and I couldn't climb out on my own, I could have had the same fate.

the fix.jpg

SIKSKIER

It was on Mickey's corner.As far as a car being left in the parking lot,we had the mug club party in the bar Saturday night so there were cars there very late.The police came in looking for him.A few people skinned up early Sunday morning and finally found him off Upper Ravine.I went right to the top Sunday and they had it closed with a patrol guarding the entrance.He was still there while F&G investigated.A patrol friend was one of the ones to take him down.Mickeys corner was especially bad Saturday as was the whole mt early.

fcksummer

Website
fck-summer.tumblr.com
Very sad to hear.

Ravine was pretty scary Saturday morning. Most of the turns were 99% ice with a tiny strand of snow along the outside edge of the trail. It was like walking a tightrope getting down that trail.

They're really sugarcoating what happened in the AP report. Makes it sound like he voluntarily decided to leave the trail.
"New Hampshire officials say a skier who left a trail and went into a wooded area at Cannon Mountain was found dead Sunday morning."

freeski

When I hear "went off trail" I think: he fell and slid out of control into the woods. I hope he passed instantaneously. Being hurt and alone on the top of Cannon with the freezing wind would not be pleasant especially at night. Sorry for the gory thought, but that could happen. I spent the night just blow tree line on Mt Washington once in the Fall and it is a kind of lonely that is terrifying when cold. I hope he went peacefully. Thoughts to his friends and family.

Los

Very sad to hear.

Ravine was pretty scary Saturday morning. Most of the turns were 99% ice with a tiny strand of snow along the outside edge of the trail. It was like walking a tightrope getting down that trail.

They're really sugarcoating what happened in the AP report. Makes it sound like he voluntarily decided to leave the trail.
"New Hampshire officials say a skier who left a trail and went into a wooded area at Cannon Mountain was found dead Sunday morning."

wait - this guy slid off the trial INTO the woods? I read the original post last night and took it to mean that he voluntarily went tree skiing. I didn't question it because I think there's still a thin layer on the upper mountain (right?). But no, he SLID off upper ravine into the woods. Holy s--t. I can't believe there is nothing about this on Cannon's website. This is horrible. We didn't ski it until about 10 or so on saturday, but still... That's really scary. Can't believe more isn't being made out of this.

Cannonball

The details haven't been released yet, so it's probably not worth speculating on what happened this particular case. But it is fair to say that that corner is disproportionately dangerous. People die and get hurt skiing. It happens at all mountains and can happen on any type of trail. It's an unfortunate risk of the sport. But is there is another specific trail location in all of New England's in-bounds ski terrain that has resulted in so many deaths and serious injuries? I personally know several people who have been seriously injured there, many others who have been lucky to escape injury from a fall there, and am aware of several deaths there. In fact, that corner is named for a Ski Patroller who broke both legs and his back there.

In at least a few of the incidents that have resulted in death at that spot the conditions played a significant (or primary) role. I definitely believe in personal responsibility and accepting risks, but it seems like more could be done to decrease the danger at that spot. Yes? No? Thoughts?

freeski

When I'm skiing I always think "if I fall where is my momentum going to take me". You see people all the time not in full control going fast and if they catch an edge they're in the woods. Another thought, the mountains are fun with lots of people and it feels like the mall. But, when night comes and no ones there they are very dangerous places. When you're up on the mountain at the end of the day you need to be aware of the potential danger. When ski patrol sweeps the trails at the end of the day they can miss you.

Los

You never hear of a ski area putting a skier death on its website.

I guess not... But it still seems weird that they wouldn't acknowledge it or pay tribute somehow... I could have sworn that Wildcat did something along those lines last year when someone died at their charity ski-a-thon event (or whatever it is/was)...

Los

The details haven't been released yet, so it's probably not worth speculating on what happened this particular case. But it is fair to say that that corner is disproportionately dangerous. People die and get hurt skiing. It happens at all mountains and can happen on any type of trail. It's an unfortunate risk of the sport. But is there is another specific trail location in all of New England's in-bounds ski terrain that has resulted in so many deaths and serious injuries? I personally know several people who have been seriously injured there, many others who have been lucky to escape injury from a fall there, and am aware of several deaths there. In fact, that corner is named for a Ski Patroller who broke both legs and his back there.

In at least a few of the incidents that have resulted in death at that spot the conditions played a significant (or primary) role. I definitely believe in personal responsibility and accepting risks, but it seems like more could be done to decrease the danger at that spot. Yes? No? Thoughts?

Sorry, is it possible to describe where on Upper Ravine "mickey's corner" is? I definitely want to be more aware of it....

deadheadskier

Staff member

First hand reports from Azers said that trail was total blue ice on Saturday morning. Either close the trail when conditions are particularly bad or if you're going to open it up for those who enjoy that type of snow and want to do their best Bode Miller impersonation, station a ski patrol member at that spot. If not that, at the very least make sure they're skiing the trail once an hour and looking off the edge of the trail to make sure someone has not crashed.

Cannon has a well deserved reputation for being an extremely icy mountain. Not everyone has the skills to deal with such surfaces. This can obviously result in some devastating accidents.

SIKSKIER

For 40 plus years I've skied that corner as fast as I can.Yes,it can get hairy and yes there has been more that a few incidents there.And yes CB,it was named for a good friend and longtime head of patrol Mickey Libby.That corner used to be much more narrow than today and is much safer than it was.Like many 90 degree corners though,it can bite you if your not on your game.I think the turn at the bottom of Skylite is much more dangerous because it comes in much steeper.That has had a few deaths as well.Mickeys corner at right and Skylite at the left.

Attachments

• mickeyscorner.jpg
    mickeyscorner.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 245

JDMRoma

I believe it's right above the s in hard scrabble ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1459179100.335553.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Los

For 40 plus years I've skied that corner as fast as I can.Yes,it can get hairy and yes there has been more that a few incidents there.And yes CB,it was named for a good friend and longtime head of patrol Mickey Libby.That corner used to be much more narrow than today and is much safer than it was.Like many 90 degree corners though,it can bite you if your not on your game.I think the turn at the bottom of Skylite is much more dangerous because it comes in much steeper.That has had a few deaths as well.Mickeys corner at right and Skylite at the left.

Thanks, much appreciated... Thanks too JDMRoma...

Puck it

Why not put some racing catch fences up there? Other mountains have. Skylight used to some fencing but has not had it for a few years.

fcksummer

Website
fck-summer.tumblr.com

Not an official report but this is what his dad had to say.

"Trevor Hennessey was skiing by himself Saturday, making the last run of the day at the ski area in Franconia, New Hampshire, when he took a corner into a patch of ice and went off the trail, hitting his head on a tree, said his father, Christopher Hennessey of Medfield."

http://www.telegram.com/article/20160327/NEWS/160329284

Cannonball

I was sort of lumping those 2 together as one "spot". But you are right, if you differentiate between the two the bottom of Skylight is even worse. I also agree that it used to be much worse.

As you point out, people (like you) who know it extremely well can get away with skiing it fast. And even when knowing it well it can be hairy. I worry about the people who don't know what to expect there and have no reason to expect greatly increased risk. I'd like to see the mountain put a little more effort into prevention there. Maybe some of the things DHS suggested.