• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Din setting

skiNEwhere

What din setting do you guys have set on your bindings? And what level skier do you consider yourself?

I'm currently set on 8.5 but I feel like I could move up to a 10. I'm gonna be skiing a lot of bowls and steep terrain this season (or at least try to:p)

Hawkshot99

Currently I have both sets set at a 9. Using the din charts I am in the "type III" but I set the bindings by when they would basically never release, unless a super bad yard sale were I don't want them on my legs.

Greg

Staff member
I'm not even sure. I think they're set at 7.5, but I'm a lightweight at 165 lbs.

wa-loaf

I usually bump it up 1 or 2 points from the chart. I'll say 10 without going and checking.

Depends on the binding and the conditions. I was skiing with a former Marker big wig last season at a demo...set on 10, went into a small section of bumps for a little fun...three bumps into I walked right out of the heel on one ski...didnt' stuff the tip in or anything, just a little speed check and buh bye. The guy asked me what they were on, then told me he always cranks the heels 2 points higher than the toes...that there's " a lot of variability" in the heel settings. So the rest of the time I had the toes on 10 and heels on 12. Generally I'm set on 10...9 at trade shows just so the binding guys don't have to crank them harder. In pow or crud, I'll bring them up 2 points. I've always felt more secure in a Salomon than Marker. Any binding will function best when it is set close to the middle of its DIN range...so if you're at an 8, a 4-12 DIN binding is your best option...need them at 10...find something that goes to 14, etc. Turn them down all the way at the end of the season so the springs aren't compressed all summer...just don't forget to turn them up. I've always got a mini-driver with me on the hill...the ones made for snowboarders work just fine...#4 possi drive is the bit you want. I'm 210 and have skied for 31 of my 34 years...so I get down the hill okay.

tjf67

I dont know what mine are. I keep turning them half a turn until they stop prematurely ejecting me. Dont go to far or they wont come off when you want them to.

jack97

I was skiing with a former Marker big wig last season at a demo...set on 10, went into a small section of bumps for a little fun...three bumps into I walked right out of the heel on one ski...didnt' stuff the tip in or anything, just a little speed check and buh bye.

Got markers also, they released on me in the bumps. I hit a bump hard under foot... feet went forward and the skis went into the trough. I got look bindings mounted on my new skis this year, can't wait to try them out this season.

I have my bindings set at 6.5; heel and toe. Me, 145-150 lb at 5' 7"

lloyd braun

It actually may not be that tight if he has proportionally small feet. The smaller the foot, the higher the release tension you need.

Marc you are correct.

I ski a 285mm length bootsole.

The chart dins me out at 7 or 7.5. I was skiing 9 on the sollys but was "toeing out" a bunch so I crankend them up to a 10.