• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Do you listen to tunes when you ski?

Ski Diva

Website
www.skidiva.com
Frankly, I get nervous when I see people doing this. There are a lot of audio clues you need to pay attention to when you're skiing -- like when a skier or snowboarder is coming up along side you -- and I'm not sure you can hear them when you're using headphones.

Also, I just don't get it. I mean, one of the best things about skiing is the lack of intrusive noise. So to me, it doesn't make sense. What do you think?

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
We had a thread about this a while back I think. I know we've discussed it before.

The only time I will listen to music is when I ski alone at Wachusett- I go faster than everyone there anyway, so I only have to worry about what's in front of me.

When I need to mentally focus, usually I don't want music.

Of course, I'll also listen on Bear Trap at Sneaux when they got the tunes going. That's pretty cool.

Greg

Staff member
I don't, but I can see the appeal. I think it might be fun to rock out to some tunes while skiing bumps. That's partly why Beartrap at Mount Snow is so cool. But mostly, I prefer being able to hear what's going on around me.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
I don't, but I can see the appeal. I think it might be fun to rock out to some tunes while skiing bumps. That's partly why Beartrap at Mount Snow is so cool. But mostly, I prefer being able to hear what's going on around me.

The combination of that and that it is southeast facing... and on sunny days softens up quite nicely, plus the double is rarely crowded even on the worst days. I really like that spot.

Grassi21

We had a thread about this a while back I think. I know we've discussed it before.

The only time I will listen to music is when I ski alone at Wachusett- I go faster than everyone there anyway, so I only have to worry about what's in front of me.

When I need to mentally focus, usually I don't want music.

Of course, I'll also listen on Bear Trap at Sneaux when they got the tunes going. That's pretty cool.

I love when they blast tunes at base areas and the like. I'm considering listening to some tunes this season since I will be doing a lot of solo days. But since I'm still honing my skills I will probably hold off until the end of the season when I have better technique. I agree that you need all of your senses when skiing.

Greg

Staff member
Actually, I think it might be SW facing...

SSW. It was one of the only trails at Mount Snow that you could easily see from Haystack.

SkiDog

I listen but certianly not loudly enough to not hear my surroundings...its truly more for long TREE runs and the lift....sometimes when im ripping down the wind is soo loud I cant hear the tunes anyway.

M

dmc

Also, I just don't get it. I mean, one of the best things about skiing is the lack of intrusive noise. So to me, it doesn't make sense. What do you think?

I think sometimes I want to listen to tunes... And sometimes I don't...
Sometimes I need to hear the scilence of the winter woods - sometimes I don't....
Sometimes i want to hear just the wind - sometimes I don't....
Sometimes I want to talk to strangers on chairs - sometimes I don't...

I always have tunes on during a powder day and I love tunes when I ski bumps... It's like a soundtrack from a ski movie... Starring.... well - Me....

One thing is - no tunes in situations that require communication above recreational riding/skiing stuff... Like when I have to pick my way down a rock band... Or in a BC area I'm not familiar with...

Otherwise... Rock out...

SkiDog

One thing is - no tunes in situations that require communication above recreational riding/skiing stuff... Like when I have to pick my way down a rock band... Or in a BC area I'm not familiar with...

Otherwise... Rock out...

Agreed here 100%...in "dangerous" situations or BC...no music....

M

Bkroon9175

I like music at the base lodges and it often seems appropriate in the parks but there is nothing better than being on a trail with no one around and all you hear is your skis and the wind........................................

Hawkshot99

You can hear just fine with them in as long as you dont crank them up. I ride my motorcycle all the time with them in, and can hear everything around no problem at 60+.

BeanoNYC

I have those Giro Tune Ups for my helmet. I usually put a Dead show on quite low. I can even have a conversation on the lift with the volume at that level. It's like a soundtrack to my day.

tirolerpeter

Tunes?

No. Like others who have posted here, I love the quiet and solitude; especially in the trees. It's why I love skiing mid-week, and also why I love skiing trees in the west. Not only is it quiet, you barely hear your skiis in powder either. I do not like feeling "disconnected" from my environment. But then, I confess, I never acquired the "Walk/Discman/Ipod" habit. It must be a generational thing.

AdironRider

Depends on my mood, but I personally love to listen to tunes when I ride. I always turn em off though when I stop for a break. When Im ripping all I hear is wind noise anyway so the tunes are a nice addition, but when I stop I love to sit in complete silence with only the sound of breathing/wind.

SnowRider

I have the HiFi Audio helmet. I have a button on my ear pads that cuts the music off. I use it for park runs, groomed runs and the chairlift. I DONT use it in the trees. It just doesnt appear safe to me.

SnowRider

JohnGD33

I am always listing to tunes. It does not matter if I am in the park, ripping bumps, or blazing cords. One good thing about music and skiing you never hear people telling you to slow down.