• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Does it always piss hot rain right before or on Christmas in eastern ski country or does if just seem that way?

abc

I have only been to Tremblant once. Didn’t explore the area surrounding it. So can’t say for sure.

But I have much better luck when traveling all over Quebec. It’s extremely rare that nobody can speak “some” English at least.

Functionally, I’ve never had issue getting food or other necessary items. If all else fails, there’s always google translate!

Conversation, on the other hand, can be problematic though.

urungus

Speak/Type what you want to say into google translate on your phone and show the French speaker the results

brandt_cant_watch

I was in Montreal in November and some miscreant slashed my tire. Hard not to throw all Quebecois under the bus but it certainly soured my opinion of them.
That being said, wish I was at Le Massif this weekend...

Smellytele

I was in Montreal in November and some miscreant slashed my tire. Hard not to throw all Quebecois under the bus but it certainly soured my opinion of them.
That being said, wish I was at Le Massif this weekend...
My brother used to go up above Quebec City snowmobiling until the time they stole his truck with his snowmobiles and trailer. Had to get transportation back to the US and then it was a hassle getting the insurance money as it was in a foreign country. Police said they wouldn't even look for them as it wasn't worth their time.

Edd

Google Translate is an excellent app for these situations. Going to Tremblant years ago we briefly got lost and stopped at an auto shop to ask directions. That was awkward, as the mechanics did not speak English. I had a paper map they could draw on, but Google Translate would have been handy that day.

brandt_cant_watch

My brother used to go up above Quebec City snowmobiling until the time they stole his truck with his snowmobiles and trailer. Had to get transportation back to the US and then it was a hassle getting the insurance money as it was in a foreign country. Police said they wouldn't even look for them as it wasn't worth their time.
^jfc that sucks...

My slashed tire happened the weekend of the snow tire requirement in Montreal. You can imagine the fun my SO and I had trying to get tires at Canadian Tire. I have to admit if you're gonna mess with someone's trip that is the best way to do it.

Killingtime

Been to Tremblant and St. Anne a few times. Never had a problem with language, or currency for that matter. Enjoyed both places although it was cold at St. Anne. Talking -26F cold.

VTKilarney

Been to Tremblant and St. Anne a few times. Never had a problem with language, or currency for that matter. Enjoyed both places although it was cold at St. Anne. Talking -26F cold.

Same. I have never had an issue with the language barrier - and I have been all over Quebec.

And just use your credit card. No need to use that funny money.

KustyTheKlown

Same. I have never had an issue with the language barrier - and I have been all over Quebec.

And just use your credit card. No need to use that funny money.

my chase freedom card got hammered with foreign transaction fees last time

i use a citibank card for gas because of particular gas related benefits, and there were no foreign transaction fees on my statement, so i am going to use that card for everything this weekend

KustyTheKlown

looks like the low tracked a bit further south than expected and noVT should actually do ok. NH and maine get a lot more rain. noVT appears to be back in snow based on radar and reports on the ground. good.

abc

Yep!

“Fortunately“, my pass is blacked out for the weekend.

I usually cross country ski during the holidays. But I’m bagging this one. May go up later with my skating skis. Ice + skate = bliss!