• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Dogs During Ski Season?

40Berg

Just had a new addition to the family - a four-month-old Australian Sheppard/Lab Mix - and wanted to see how/if the dog owners out there were able to include man's best friend in their ski trips.

From what I see, there don't appear to be any "dog-friendly" mountains out there. But I have found hotels that cater to dog owners by providing day care (like the Paw House near Killington).

Has anyone had experiences - good or bad - bringing their dog with them on ski trips?

ScottySkis

My dad took his dogs to VT. small hill many years ago, they were dog friendly in the 1970s and my dad and mom would ride the chair lift and the two dogs followed them on the ground. I am not sure what happen because I was not born but as it has been told to me that a someone skiing ski over the paws of the dog and luckly their was a vet in town and she sewed my dads dog, so take them with you and just remember not to take them on the hill, so glad I was lucky to have those great 2 dogs in my life into I was six.

vdk03

Might just have to start doing more back country skiing if you want your dog up the mtn. Our dog loves chasing us down the mtn. Congrats on the new family member, sounds like a cool mix.

snoseek

Paws Inn near Sunday River is a pet lovers dream. Stay there and there is also a dog sitting service while you ski for a very fair rate. Also the rooms are super clean and Bailey makes the very best shirred egg you will ever eat.

Razor

Paws Inn near Sunday River is a pet lovers dream. Stay there and there is also a dog sitting service while you ski for a very fair rate. Also the rooms are super clean and Bailey makes the very best shirred egg you will ever eat.

+1 on Paws Inn. We have places all over New England to bring our pup. Near Killington we use Mendon Orchards, Econolodge, and some motels in Rutland. In New Hampshire, you can't go wrong at Parker's Motel in Lincoln for Cannon, Loon and Bretton Woods. The Golden Lion at Sugarbush is another one. Commodores Inn at Stowe is good. Chain motels in Brattleboro work for Mt. Snow and Stratton. Some places let you leave the dog in the room while you ski. Others don't allow that. We have a Sienna minivan with the middle seats removed, and our dog has no problem staying in it while we ski. We just let him out when we have lunch.

MadMadWorld

Just had a new addition to the family - a four-month-old Australian Sheppard/Lab Mix - and wanted to see how/if the dog owners out there were able to include man's best friend in their ski trips.

From what I see, there don't appear to be any "dog-friendly" mountains out there. But I have found hotels that cater to dog owners by providing day care (like the Paw House near Killington).

Has anyone had experiences - good or bad - bringing their dog with them on ski trips?

Paw House is great. We take our lab up there at least twice a year. Once in the winter and once in the summer. The owners are amazing people and the other dog owners are great too. If you go skiing, the inn employee will take your dog out but chances are other owners will go into the kennel throughout the day and let your dog out to play with theirs (there is always a chalkboard to let people know not to let yours out if you don't want). Chances are good that your dog will be more tired than you are by the end of the day. Rutland is very dog friendly and so are the outlets and lots of other great activities to do with your pooch!!

On a separate note, a Australian Shepherd/Lab mix will love the opportunity to go XC or BC skiing. I took my lab when I did the High Peaks a couple of winters ago. He loves being out in the snow and with me. The biggest thing to worry about is making sure you have enough water for the two of you and watch for ice building up around their paws. The payoff ended up being awesome for the both of us. I got to ski some amazing terrain and he had a blast flying down the hill looking like a porpoise in the snow as he tried to catch me.

Last edited:

Cannonball

Believe it or not, Claybrook at Sugarbush has dog-friendly rooms. And good ones. We've stayed slope side by the pool with our dog. She's 70lbs, so it's not just little dogs like some places.

Others we've had our dog at:
PowderHound at Sugarbush
Snowline at Jay
Parker Motel near Cannon
EastGate Motel in Littleton (Cannon, Burke, on way to Jay)
Oxen Yoke North Conway
Lot's of others I can't think of right now.

But as for dogs actually at the resort it seems like most places frown on it. I've been shooed off of a few lodge decks for having the dog sit with me over apres beer. A loss for them, because it pushes me to more XC and BC days when I'm feeling guilty about leaving the dog behind.

farlep99

Lots of people bring their dogs to Magic. Dogs can't hang inside the bar/restaurant but they're always hanging out on the deck. I asked about them not being allowed inside & was told it was a health-code thing in VT. I guess if there's food being prepared/served they're not allowed in or something like that. I'd definitely call Magic pet-friendly though. I don't have a dog but know many from the mountain. Not really sure what the area lodging allows with pets

40Berg

Thanks for the tips everyone. Looks like the Paws Inn is a great option, making Maine a serious contender for our week-long vacation this winter.

My wife and I have never done back country before, but this may be the spark to get it going. And we'll definitely look into Magic. I didn't even consider that we'd actually be able to bring the dog to the mountain; but after a little more research, I even saw some reviews saying dogs have been seen riding on lifts. We'll see.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
A word of advice: make sure your pup is up to date with his/her flea control regimine. We stayed at a dog-friendly hotel near Stowe 7.5 years ago when I was pregnant (so it was a no-ski vacation for me) and even though the accommodations were very nice, we found fleas in our bed. I want to say it was called Two Dog Inn or something like that--it's no longer in operation--but just be careful. Don't want to bring home any stowaways.

Not all hills are dog-friendly, so if you're planning on walking around the base with your pup, it's a good idea to ask first. And sometimes people will call the authorities if people leave their dogs in cars all day and they're barking away, so use caution. Some consider that animal cruelty.

RustyGroomer

Lots of people bring their dogs to Magic. Dogs can't hang inside the bar/restaurant but they're always hanging out on the deck. I asked about them not being allowed inside & was told it was a health-code thing in VT. I guess if there's food being prepared/served they're not allowed in or something like that. I'd definitely call Magic pet-friendly though. I don't have a dog but know many from the mountain. Not really sure what the area lodging allows with pets

Tonka!! He about 100lbs bigger now but I love seeing him @ Magic.

ClosingDay-11 007.jpg

40Berg

Thanks again for the tips everyone.

We just booked time at Paws Inn in Bethel. Planning a few days at Sunday River, a day at Mt. Abram and some XC/snowshoeing with the puppy on an off-day. Seems like a great place - I appreciate it.

MadMadWorld

Thanks again for the tips everyone.

We just booked time at Paws Inn in Bethel. Planning a few days at Sunday River, a day at Mt. Abram and some XC/snowshoeing with the puppy on an off-day. Seems like a great place - I appreciate it.

Sounds like a great trip for everyone! Enjoy it

MadMadWorld

There is a Red Roof Inn in Rutland if you want to ski Pico or Killington. Red Roofs are dog friendly but you would have to find day care in the area.
The Paw House is a B&B about a 1.5 mi from Killington. It's not just dog friendly, its dog focused. They will give your dog plenty of exercise when you are out and about.