• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Early season snow reports

nhskier1969

When you look at early season snow reports from ski areas, what is information is most important to you?
Acres open, number of trails, total miles of skiing, current snow making trail map, etc..

Smellytele

To me it comes down to first not quantity but quality of the trails open. In other words is it greens or blues or blacks. The quantity, also price for said trails. Don’t care what trails they are making snow on if they won’t be open.

cdskier

When you look at early season snow reports from ski areas, what is information is most important to you?
Acres open, number of trails, total miles of skiing, current snow making trail map, etc..

All of these are a factor. There's no single piece of data that I'd say is "most important".

Ski2LiveLive2Ski

Number of distinct routes
Vertical of those routes
Level of challenge of those routes (don't see color coding assigned to them as that relevant)
Distance from home
Are they on Epic/Indy

drjeff

Number of trails is probably the least important thing, since we all know that just about every resort out there plays with what constitutes a trail

Acres and miles is what I tend to consider the most important stat early season, since there's less variability in how those are reported verses just trail count

abc

Condition!

That’s true all season long. I look for comments from people on how the surface skis like. Soft vs icy for example. But for early season, coverage is also important. Thin cover = staying home.

First hand report of experience is what I’m looking for. Again, that’s true all season. Basically, what’s NOT on the mountain’s official web site.

Trail count & trail open I can find those on the mountain’s web site.

Kingslug20

I track everything and figure it out..
It's funny when people just show up with no idea what it will be like..
Then complain about it..on FB...
Oy..

cdskier

I track everything and figure it out..
It's funny when people just show up with no idea what it will be like..
Then complain about it..on FB...
Oy..

LOL. Yes...amazing how many people show up without checking any reports ahead of time. I see that all the time.

Also love when people ask questions on FB of things like "how do I find out what trails are open at resort xyz?" I guess some people don't realize you can use the Internet for more than just social media!

Kingslug20

I've been asked a million times about how icy a place might be...well..it rained..then Temps went to 10 degrees...so.....

kendo

I always track the snowmaking notes in Stowes daily report. Helps to gauge when to lock in a ressie to justify a long drive for 2-3 days on the slopes. Nosedive, centerline/north, perry and possibly main st are usually the early openers that justify the first trip up.

zyk

First no walking. If I wanted to walk I'd just go hiking.
Second where on the mountain is snow being made. I've had some great days under the guns. Used to pick my early season days based on this information although it seems a bit harder to come by now.

abc

Not everyone “tracks everything” as you do.

If they live 200 miles south, and it rains, it doesn’t mean it rained up north. So 10 degree is just… 10 degree without the history.