• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Electric Cars/Trucks and winter weather testing with results. What do you think? Who has taken one in Freezing cold long distance to a Ski mountain?

ThatGuy

No one said you have to…

But Bolton doesn’t suck, especially for sidecountry and skinning.

VTKilarney

I drive all sorts of vehicles through my work. I usually have a vehicle for 2-4 weeks and then swap into something different.

I absolutely love the Acadia. It's a great size and drives really nicely. And it's comfortable, too. The Denali version is pricey, but it's a beautiful vehicle. I have yet to drive a Toyota that I like. Everything about them is bland. Toyota has always been behind the curve when it comes to tech, which is an extra strike against them.

Right now my work car is a loaded VW Arteon. I really like it. It's not an Audi, for sure, but it has everything I care about and the price is a whole lot cheaper. I just wish that it had a windshield wiper on the "sport back".

I recently drove a Tesla Model 3 with the ludicrous speed option. Even though it is 0.2 seconds slower than the Corvette I have recently driven, it felt faster because of the instant torque. But I hated the lack of buttons and the interior is VERY cheap for that price point. The build quality is also cheap. And the stupid door handles and charging port door are just asking to get frozen over in the winter. The charging port door looks like it would break really easily. That said, I was shocked at how good it was in terms of speed and handling - all in a package that looks like it was made for runs to the grocery store. It will be interesting to see if Buick and other cars will equal the performance but with better interiors and build quality.

Mazda is very underrated. I don't understand why people buy Toyotas and Hondas instead of Mazdas.

Smellytele

I drive all sorts of vehicles through my work. I usually have a vehicle for 2-4 weeks and then swap into something different.

I absolutely love the Acadia. It's a great size and drives really nicely. And it's comfortable, too. The Denali version is pricey, but it's a beautiful vehicle. I have yet to drive a Toyota that I like. Everything about them is bland. Toyota has always been behind the curve when it comes to tech, which is an extra strike against them.

Right now my work car is a loaded VW Arteon. I really like it. It's not an Audi, for sure, but it has everything I care about and the price is a whole lot cheaper. I just wish that it had a windshield wiper on the "sport back".

I recently drove a Tesla Model 3 with the ludicrous speed option. Even though it is 0.2 seconds slower than the Corvette I have recently driven, it felt faster because of the instant torque. But I hated the lack of buttons and the interior is VERY cheap for that price point. The build quality is also cheap. And the stupid door handles and charging port door are just asking to get frozen over in the winter. The charging port door looks like it would break really easily. That said, I was shocked at how good it was in terms of speed and handling - all in a package that looks like it was made for runs to the grocery store. It will be interesting to see if Buick and other cars will equal the performance but with better interiors and build quality.

Mazda is very underrated. I don't understand why people buy Toyotas and Hondas instead of Mazdas.
Wife looked at the Mazda CX-5 and the crv. Crv had a bigger storage area for the dogs. Cx5 did drive better but the sloping back cut the space.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I'm excited to see the new CX-70 & CX-90. From a driving dynamics and fit and finish standpoint, I've long felt Mazda is the best non-luxury Asian brand.

1dog

My bride had a CX-5 - traded in an Acura RDX - disappointed in that after 3 great MDX leases- never had one issue and value was always higher than residual. RX disappointing MPG, same are MDX( but we have a Yukon so no need for room) CX-5 was just a nice with better MPG- same room. what I've learned in my old age is perception far outweighs facts, more than ever.

Given Honda reliability and relatively less marketed Mazda - I would wager similar quality and 1/10th the sales of CRV.

The KIA plug-in we got has ( so far) similar quality, too many buttons and signals and options on dash/steering wheel ( ' The vehicle ahead of you has moved on' - Screw you K-Car, I'm reading my text messages!) I'm sure it sends info to KIA to let them know I'm speeding, weaving, and generally breaking the law.

After all, I'm a 'Masshole'. ( What other state advertises its full of A-holes?) I'm embarrassed to drive to other states in NE and apologize for any reputation the few, the proud, the anal cavity folks have led anyone to believe we are all the same. . . .

Screen-Shot-2021-05-05-at-9.03.22-AM.png

kickstand

My bride had a CX-5 - traded in an Acura RDX - disappointed in that after 3 great MDX leases- never had one issue and value was always higher than residual. RX disappointing MPG, same are MDX( but we have a Yukon so no need for room) CX-5 was just a nice with better MPG- same room. what I've learned in my old age is perception far outweighs facts, more than ever.

Given Honda reliability and relatively less marketed Mazda - I would wager similar quality and 1/10th the sales of CRV.

The KIA plug-in we got has ( so far) similar quality, too many buttons and signals and options on dash/steering wheel ( ' The vehicle ahead of you has moved on' - Screw you K-Car, I'm reading my text messages!) I'm sure it sends info to KIA to let them know I'm speeding, weaving, and generally breaking the law.

After all, I'm a 'Masshole'. ( What other state advertises its full of A-holes?) I'm embarrassed to drive to other states in NE and apologize for any reputation the few, the proud, the anal cavity folks have led anyone to believe we are all the same. . . .

Screen-Shot-2021-05-05-at-9.03.22-AM.png
It took me 10 minutes to read this one post.......

MidnightJester

Is this the coldest or worst spell of winter we have had since EV's have become more mainstream??

Is it possible that electric cars, trucks and EV's cant be properly charged in single digit or minus -F weather. Uhhhh Ohhhhhh because frozen go pro and lithium phone batteries go very low to nearly zero if frozen even if they are nearly fully charged.

Just did a quick look at lithium ion batteries and below 32 degrees F and you damage or cant properly charge them. Hmmmmmmmm its OK if the battery can self-heat but what if it is already near depletion.

Interesting bit in the article is that he was instructed to go back to the charger when it warmed up or had heaters on. Huh??? What if it doesn't warm up for days or weeks? I cant believe they never tried charging in 10 degree weather or Zero degree F in building or testing. Testing or trying to charge when the battery is half or quarter charged is not testing. The ability to charge from nearly zero charge in long term zero degree temperatures should be the electric EV ability at minimum for a frozen environment or mountain.

Last edited:

1dog

Is this the coldest or worst spell of winter we have had since EV's have become more mainstream??

Is it possible that electric cars, trucks and EV's cant be properly charged in single digit or minus -F weather. Uhhhh Ohhhhhh because frozen go pro and lithium phone batteries go very low to nearly zero if frozen even if they are nearly fully charged.

Just did a quick look at lithium ion batteries and below 32 degrees F and you damage or cant properly charge them. Hmmmmmmmm its OK if the battery can self-heat but what if it is already near depletion.

Interesting bit in the article is that he was instructed to go back to the charger when it warmed up or had heaters on. Huh??? What if it doesn't warm up for days or weeks? I cant believe they never tried charging in 10 degree weather or Zero degree F in building or testing. Testing or trying to charge when the battery is half or quarter charged is not testing. The ability to charge from nearly zero charge in long term zero degree temperatures should be the electric EV ability at minimum for a frozen environment or mountain.
Monday 5 AM. Trip to Stratton in wifes fully charged plug in hybrid - uses electric motors only under 35-40 MPH - I live 1.5 miles from interstate- battery was 2/3 gone within 30 mins at 12 degrees. . . . essentially unused.

drjeff

This storm that affected so much of the country this past week, is the perfect example of why those, along with the various unelected in many cases regulatory agency officials pushing for fully electric vehicles in the next 10yrs or so, should get realistic and accept that an extended phase of gas/electric hybrid vehicles is the rational way to go over say the next 25yrs as the national power grid, charging station quantity, and technology to make a full charge close in time equivalent to putting say 20 gallons of gas in a tank in any temperatures, the norm and not the exception!

1dog

This storm that affected so much of the country this past week, is the perfect example of why those, along with the various unelected in many cases regulatory agency officials pushing for fully electric vehicles in the next 10yrs or so, should get realistic and accept that an extended phase of gas/electric hybrid vehicles is the rational way to go over say the next 25yrs as the national power grid, charging station quantity, and technology to make a full charge close in time equivalent to putting say 20 gallons of gas in a tank in any temperatures, the norm and not the exception!
Agree Dr Jeff, except 1st the need to address the rampant pollution in the manufacturing of batteries, fact that large portions of said power is generated by coal, hydro, nat.gas, as well as the lack of resources for lithium (mainly) and other ingredients. You are spot-on on the overly-regulatory nature of un-elected 'officials'. 600, count 'em, 600 federal agencies. . . . Nat gas way to go - 200+ years of it, half the carbon of other fossil fuels, cheap, small footprint:
image002-2.png