• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Elk Mtn, PA? Any word?

tnt

Elk doesn't seem to have much in the way of online updates. With the cold weather and possible storm next week, anyone know if there is a chance they will open the weekend after thanksgiving?

ScottySkis

My first time skiing their was last year. There website very old. I pretty sure they open a week before Christmas is their plans, I could be wrong.

tnt

Looks like Blue Mt. is trying for a Black Friday opening with a few trails.

millerm277

Elk doesn't seem to have much in the way of online updates. With the cold weather and possible storm next week, anyone know if there is a chance they will open the weekend after thanksgiving?

Elk is well....not a snowmaking powerhouse in general. They don't usually push for any sort of early opening. If the webcam on their site isn't broken, it appears there's been zero snowmaking, and there's no chatter on PASR either about snowmaking.

I would not expect them open before mid-December personally, unless it's <20F from now till then.

Montage's (Sno) facebook shows them doing heavy snowmaking, if you're in the area, they look like they'll be open by then.

haha...they are notoriously tight lipped...the webcam has been a static picture since october...they usually end up opening early december...they need to get open reasonably soon as they have a 100 day guarantee for their passholders, and they are as tight-fisted with money as they are tight-lipped with info so they push hard to get open for those 100 days, otherwise they have to refund a pro-rated portion of the cost of the pass to each passholder

mbedle

Classic Elk.... One of the best places in PA and somehow is still stuck in the 80s. Maybe thats why I like it so much. Like everyone else said, would expect anything until mid December.

radskier

Drove by Blue yesterday afternoon and they were blowing snow. So keep your fingers crossed.

tnt

Drove by Blue yesterday afternoon and they were blowing snow. So keep your fingers crossed.

Live cams show a nice amount of snow on Main Street. Not a bit on the main part of the mountain.

But rain is coming....crap.

Old Geezer

Elk's website now shows "Snowmaking has begun...". So in the Elk pace of life (i.e., glacial) I guess than means they are catching up to their competitors to the south, JF/BB, Blue, Camelback.

mbedle

Blue is looking good for opening this friday. Hopefully this rain won't screw things up. The are really putting the effort in to getting top to bottom skiing soon.

jimmywilson69

Ski Roundtop near Harrisburg has had their fan gun assault going the last 2 1/2 days. If it werent going to rain today/tomorrow I believe they would've declared a Friday or Saturday opening already. I still think they are sitting pretty for that once it gets cold on the back side of this storm.

From their FB page

Great news, Elk Friends... Elk Mountain will open for the 2013-2014 season midweek next week. A decision will be made this weekend as to the exact day and that information will be posted here and on our website. Dig out your warm clothes and sharpen those skis. It's time to hit the slopes!

jimmywilson69

good for them except they are missing out on the "holiday" crowd. Seems short sited to me...

I would imagine most poconno and southern PA resorts will open Saturday