• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Emerging signal for storminess for the end of January

Once this damn thaw is over on Tuesday, we could get a glancing blow of snow in ski country. While this little storm isn't very significant, it is marking a pattern change that we could very well cash in on nicely.

650x366_01121738_2ndhd.jpg

Cold air is beginning to refill in Canada and will begin to drip down into the US by midweek. It doesn't look like it will go anywhere for a while once it arrives. It sure won't be blockbuster stuff, more like a normal winter chill, but with it is the possibility of storms.

Right now, a big storm isn't on the radar... yet; however, there will be plenty of energy riding along this cold air jet. If one piece could break the flow and form a storm, we're in business, otherwise we may have some 1-3, 2-4 nickle and dime type stuff for a while. We have a long window of favorable weather ahead so I wouldn't be surprised if almost all of New England will have a solid snowcover come Feb.

BenedictGomez

Thank you for only showing scenario #2, scenario #1 is depressing and is favored by both 18Z GFS & NAM. I

The GFS is hardly the bible, and the NAM shouldnt be used this far out.

The Canadian model favors the light snow scenario, and the last Euro run I saw did too.

The real story here is how pathetic it is that we're getting "excited" over 1 to 4 inches of "potential" snow.

The Canadian model favors the light snow scenario, and the last Euro run I saw did too.

The real story here is how pathetic it is that we're getting "excited" over 1 to 4 inches of "potential" snow.

I for one am not "excited" over this possible event, but I am encouraged over the pattern change.

One time period to watch is next weekend. The largest piece of energy of the week will be breezing in overhead, could it cut off and form a storm? Some Euro ensembles think so.

gladerider

i like your info on euro. other models are consistently off and side with the euro anyway.
i take any natural at this point.

by the way, BG, are you still heading up to lake placid? i will. may be we can meet up for a few turns.

4aprice

Cold stormy late Dec/early Jan followed by January thaw, now supposed to go step down cold and stormy, who would have thunk it? The meat of the season is coming up.:thumbup:. As eastcoast as eastcoast gets.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Euler

Cold stormy late Dec/early Jan followed by January thaw, now supposed to go step down cold and stormy, who would have thunk it? The meat of the season is coming up.:thumbup:. As eastcoast as eastcoast gets.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

One of my students just said to me "Why is everyone complaining about the weather...this is Vermont and this happens every year in Vermont...I guess that's just part of being a New Englander...we complain about the weather."

MadMadWorld

One of my students just said to me "Why is everyone complaining about the weather...this is Vermont and this happens every year in Vermont...I guess that's just part of being a New Englander...we complain about the weather."

The child clearly does not understand my plight. You can't use logic with single minded people like me.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
It's not great news but it might get me to step down from the ledge at least momentarily
I was within inches of the ledge this morning. I stepped outside and it felt like freaking May. I had to run away from the people who were saying "it's just like spring". I ran inside and made sure my screen saver grounded me in reality. It's my party and I'll whine if I want to!

winterstorm.jpg

MadMadWorld

I don't know how to trust Mother Nature anymore. She has hurt me very badly. She better be coming home with a shit load of chocolate and flowers.......and snow.

lerops

I was within inches of the ledge this morning. I stepped outside and it felt like freaking May. I had to run away from the people who were saying "it's just like spring". I ran inside and made sure my screen saver grounded me in reality. It's my party and I'll whine if I want to!

winterstorm.jpg

Love that picture. Where and when is it from?