• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Environmental Damage at Cannon Mountain Ski Area

threecy

Website
www.franklinsites.com
ugh. That is no good!. I couldn't see that in the pics.

You can see some of it in this photo if you look closely, but the past three times I've been up there, the lighting wasn't good enough to capture it with my camera without crawling into it (and I don't feel like getting Tetanus shot).

lifttrash-2011-0603b.jpg

Cannonball

While this was first reported during HB2 State Senate hearings this spring, photos are now being published online of environmental damage related to the Mittersill expansion project.

That website is AWESOME!! I especially like the Cannon Mountain History section. Most histories of Cannon dwell on silly trivia like CCC workers hand cutting some of the earliest ski trails in America. Or designers like the Duke. Or Olympic Gold Medalist Bode Miller's days on the Mountain. But this sites only includes IMPORTANT Cannon History such as when Sunapee was privately leased.

Propaganda and credibility don't mix.

UVSHTSTRM

You can see some of it in this photo if you look closely, but the past three times I've been up there, the lighting wasn't good enough to capture it with my camera without crawling into it (and I don't feel like getting Tetanus shot).

lifttrash-2011-0603b.jpg

I guess normally this wouldn't bother me as stated before, but the more I think about it, I do find it odd that this was allowed within a state park of all things and done/monitored by the state. I am surprised anybody thought this was a good idea, but I guess if it is not breaking the law people will do the most cost effective/easiest thing.

bobbutts

I guess normally this wouldn't bother me as stated before, but the more I think about it, I do find it odd that this was allowed within a state park of all things and done/monitored by the state. I am surprised anybody thought this was a good idea, but I guess if it is not breaking the law people will do the most cost effective/easiest thing.

This is obvious.. The only reason people disagree is because threecy posted it and the board staff encourages trolling him.

Puck it

This is obvious.. The only reason people disagree is because threecy posted it and the board staff encourages trolling him.

He does have an axe to grind against the state for some reason. It sounds like he feels he was wronged by the state and this is his way to get back at the state.

I do feel that they should have not covered the debris though. It would not be good to fall on the stuff in loose snow.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Holy ax to grind.

That page you linked to (i.e. "published") is your own creation, right threecy?

I think I am officially 100% in favor of everything that threecy is against and against everything that threecy is for. This is just unreal. I don't even have any specific reason at this point. I was even somewhat neutral on the leasing issue before threecy solidified my view point that Cannon should not be leased. F-N-A. There is something to fear with a lease after all... and that is that folks with threecy's preferences and beliefs will be the ones writing the lease. Gah!

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
FWIW, the WMNF never saw any reason to clean up Mittersill when they owned the land. Are we really complaining about this? Mittersill was in disrepair and had essentially already been "dump and filled" naturally by nature in many areas.

GAH.

FACT: Threecy is primarily concerned about so called "environmental damage" only because he has an ax to grind and is grasping at straws for anything that could be potentially harmful to Cannon's image as a publicly run operation. His current tactic is posting pictures and screaming that the sky is falling without context. This is sensationalism. Worse, before being called out on it, he was quoting his own web site as a published source without full disclosure.

Freaking enough. I have always respected threecy in the past, tried to encourage other posters to at least consider his perspective and argue with good form rather than emotional rhetoric. I have ever reconsidered my own view points based on threecy's arguments.

But at this point, I cannot help but feel that threecy has discredited himself and his arguments as completely and solely politically biased by an extreme agenda and without credibility. I will be taking any further evidence against Cannon with extreme grain of salt. I will have to assume that any data put forth has been manipulated to further an agenda rather than what I thought was a search for accuracy and what is right.

deadheadskier

Staff member
It's the ax grinding that bothers me the most as well.

Designing and maintaining an anti-Cannon website, facebook page, flooding multiple public internet forums with every single negative (sometimes highly borderline) thing he can find about Cannon, all over $$$ that amounts to five one hundredths of one percent of the state budget????

That much time and devotion to not have tax payers allocate five one hundredths of one percent of the state budget for Cannon improvement projects next year. The potential profit for the state under a lease agreement would equal one one hundredth of one percent.

one one hundredth of one percent of the state budget

this is about politics, not money

AdironRider

It all goes back to Ossipee. He got burned by the state, now hes taken Cannon as his personal revenge.

threecy

Website
www.franklinsites.com
It all goes back to Ossipee. He got burned by the state, now hes taken Cannon as his personal revenge.

What happened in Ossipee and how did I get "burned" by the state? A friend of mine could perhaps claim that happened to him in the Ossipee Mountains saga a few years ago, but not me. What's more troubling is why you seem to want to take personal revenge on me, considering I don't even know who you are or what your issue is with me.

AdironRider

Lets see, you published maps for unauthorized trails cut by you and cronies, then put them up on your website. The list goes on. That "friend" is you. You also linked to a propaganda website as if it was legit, but it really was just you as well.

Thats my issue. You got burned, now want to screw over Cannon. Its the type of tactics a middle school bully takes.

Cannonball

I am not the only person involved with this project. I'm the only person posting on ski forums about it, though.

That's probably because it has nothing to do with skiing. It's strictly a political project and post.

FWIW, the WMNF never saw any reason to clean up Mittersill when they owned the land. Are we really complaining about this? Mittersill was in disrepair and had essentially already been "dump and filled" naturally by nature in many areas.

GAH.

FACT: Threecy is primarily concerned about so called "environmental damage" only because he has an ax to grind and is grasping at straws for anything that could be potentially harmful to Cannon's image as a publicly run operation. His current tactic is posting pictures and screaming that the sky is falling without context. This is sensationalism. Worse, before being called out on it, he was quoting his own web site as a published source without full disclosure.

Freaking enough. I have always respected threecy in the past, tried to encourage other posters to at least consider his perspective and argue with good form rather than emotional rhetoric. I have ever reconsidered my own view points based on threecy's arguments.

But at this point, I cannot help but feel that threecy has discredited himself and his arguments as completely and solely politically biased by an extreme agenda and without credibility. I will be taking any further evidence against Cannon with extreme grain of salt. I will have to assume that any data put forth has been manipulated to further an agenda rather than what I thought was a search for accuracy and what is right.

The nail has been officially hit on the head. Well put Riv. Blatant, biased propaganda destroys credibility in ways that nothing else can.

MadPadraic

Threecry, you've managed to lose one of your most level headed defenders (he's also a taxpayer btw, which seems to make him more important than residents who pay less taxes---right threecry)?

I suggest that for your next thread, you show pictures of Cannon's new bar, and tell us that Cannon is the main driving force behind taxpayer alcoholism. You could also point out that people spending money at cannon encourages tax collection of tax payer money, and that Cannon has been seen using using water to make snow (the horrors). Quick question, is it taxpayer water if it is already in the ground and taxpayers didn't have to buy it?

deadheadskier

Staff member
That's probably because it has nothing to do with skiing. It's strictly a political project and post.

It sure seems that way to me.

Let's put this whole thing further in perspective. As I mentioned, leasing Cannon would generate revenue equaling less than .01% revenue to the State's Budget. The State Budget for next year is 5.1B. Threecy rolls out the 500K Sunapee revenue guarantee. You can do the math.

Now, assuming the NH Legislature works 40 hours a week, 52 weeks a year (they don't); based upon the value to the taxpayer, they should spend no more than 12.5 MINUTES of their time discussing this issue in a given year. Not even half a lunch break.

That's how small this issue really is. .01% of the State Budget, 12.5 minutes a year of State Legislature's time.

This thread, the other Cannon thread, the website, the facebook page, is all one huge political stunt.

I don't know what your motivation is threecy, but it's not what's right for the State Budget and taxpayer. It sure as hell has nothing to do with what's best for the Cannon skier. I won't go far to say that it's ax grinding over the Ossipee saga. I don't know enough about your personal involvement in that to say that's what's got your gears turning so hard on this subject.

What I do see is an all out cyber onslaught on Cannon by you with zero regard for the feelings and opinions of those who recreate there.

Honestly? What gives? You aren't fooling anyone. Even the name of your website "Taxpayers for Cannon" is a joke. Should be "Taxpayers against Cannon" no?

The only thing that could remotely be called environmental damage would be that scrap pile which isn't as big of a deal as its being made out to be. I still had some respect for you but after this thread I agree with what everyone else is saying.

What are your motivations being pro-lease? Im not trying to attack you im just interested to know because it does seem like there is something more there than you thinking it would benefit the state and improve Cannon for its skiers. Is it a political philosophy? Do you have something against Cannons Management?

Glenn

Looks like some errosion to me. A little topsoil, hydroseeding and you're good to go. Maybe some water bars if you want to be extra sure.