• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Epicski dead all content to disappear

cdskier

If it is true that Huddler is ending the support/contract for the forum platform itself, then there may not be much anyone at Vail could do at this point even if they wanted to. They would have had to start looking into options to migrate to another forum at least a month or two ago. The one success story I pointed out earlier states it took them 2 months to reverse engineer the Huddler database and successfully migrate the data to another forum solution.

The short notice is to EpicSki users, not to the people that run it. The Site Manager himself said in the RIP Epicski thread over there that "I've been working behind the scenes for months quite tirelessly trying to find a workable solution but I didn't find one" so obviously he was aware of this for a while. He should have given warning much earlier that this was a possibility so people could have time to copy data they wanted. At the very least people could have also worked to reach out to Vail contacts to push for them to step in. I see no point in him having hid this for months unless he was worried about Vail firing him or something like that.

cdskier

The tinfoil hate crowd would say it is because they don't want me preserving the content. I just don't have enough time to roll my scripts to archive the articles I want. With a full time job and three days notice there just isn't time to solve this problem. The text data is easy. Getting the images with them and reposting it all to another server is another problem altogether.

I have been trying all day to find a workable solution to automatically downloading the images from the EpicSki articles. Nothing has worked. I really thought the WordPress site with an appropriate plugin would do the job, but for whatever reason it has failed. It could be that the image sources are linked in a way that redirects through a CDN. I'm running out of ideas. Three days notice in the middleo of the week ultimately may not be enough to come up with a functional solution.

Have you tried any of the dozens of website ripper programs out there? I'm not familiar with what you're trying to copy, but they usually work quite well to at least let you save a local copy of the page(s) (including images). Once you have a local copy, you can work on figuring out how to put them on a new server later on when you have more time.

yeggous

Have you tried any of the dozens of website ripper programs out there? I'm not familiar with what you're trying to copy, but they usually work quite well to at least let you save a local copy of the page(s) (including images). Once you have a local copy, you can work on figuring out how to put them on a new server later on when you have more time.

I thought about it. A command line call to wget would work well in that regard. But ultimately that level of effort is hard to justify to grab now outdated information which would have to be reformatted. I am trying to channel this as motivation to build out a new set of mountain-by-mountain skier guides for the Northeast. I already have the infrastructure in place and just need to traffic and regulars to help me build them.

While the fall of EpicSki is a disappointment, perhaps this is the catalyst to building a resource that is the go-to guide for Eastern skiers. All of the other resources out there are other decidedly western in focus, or no longer actively maintained.

TheArchitect

I have an account on PugSki though I may have posted once. I lurk frequently though and from what I can tell the community is nice over there. Hard to compare to AZ, especially as it is based over a larger geographic area and I don't participate

I've been on Pugski since December and it's a great forum and community. i'm hoping that the influx of EpicSki members doesn't change the character of PugSki. People are respectful to one another.

SkiFanE

Useless to go invite people if they cannot use the site from their phones/tablets, etc which most people have constant access to these days and already three times this week there was issues with this site.
Like someone else mentioned - use your phone browser. I'm not an app person, have just a few. Everything can be accessed from browser - why deal with app headache? So maybe the app isn't as important as you say, since you don't need it.

Jully

I've been on Pugski since December and it's a great forum and community. i'm hoping that the influx of EpicSki members doesn't change the character of PugSki. People are respectful to one another.

Agreed on the respect piece. That's what I like about the attitude here too. Other mountain specific forums here in the east lack that.

Tin

It's all a dick measuring contest no matter where you go.

Last edited:

Brad J

I think PugSki will serve as a half decent substitute. The gear sections I really like. I hope you can get all or at least a good many of those unofficial guides onto your site though, a lot of those are quite wonderful pieces.

The founders of Pugski are totally committed to provide a premium site for skiers and have a good following both on the east coast and the west.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
There are quite a few people on the closing thread at Vail who are saying they will never visit a Vail Resort because of this. One was even actively changing plans to go to Whistler because of this.

Are you saying they were going to go to Vail and now they're going to Whistler...cuz that has me rolling! They must really keep up with the industry then! :lol: :blink:

Of course Highway Star shows his face for the first time since the World Cup on here and on K-Zone so that internet "fighters" can "defend" a ski forum that Vail execs barely know exists. Vail is a multi-billion dollar company...emailing corporate is gonna stop the shut down...that's funny. Let them get back to signing multi-million dollar contracts, please.

Epicski was a very valuable resource. Life goes on.

eatskisleep

I last posted there in 2007. Just skimmed through all my old posts. Site will be missed! Hopefully someone can archive it or Vail can backup everything and make a transfer to something like VBulletin.

Jully

Are you saying they were going to go to Vail and now they're going to Whistler...cuz that has me rolling! They must really keep up with the industry then! :lol: :blink:

Of course Highway Star shows his face for the first time since the World Cup on here and on K-Zone so that internet "fighters" can "defend" a ski forum that Vail execs barely know exists. Vail is a multi-billion dollar company...emailing corporate is gonna stop the shut down...that's funny. Let them get back to signing multi-million dollar contracts, please.

Epicski was a very valuable resource. Life goes on.

No; you're reading that sentence incorrectly.

Yeah, what BG said. I meant they were going to visit Whistler and now are saying they will not. My bad for poor wording!

Domeskier

Yeah, what BG said. I meant they were going to visit Whistler and now are saying they will not. My bad for poor wording!

The overwhelming majority of Vail's visitors probably have even less of a clue what Epicski is than Vail's management does. If they want a boycott that has any effect, they should jump on twitter an accuse Vail of refusing to let transgendered skiers go to the bathroom or whatever gets people angry these days.

Jcb890

The overwhelming majority of Vail's visitors probably have even less of a clue what Epicski is than Vail's management does. If they want a boycott that has any effect, they should jump on twitter an accuse Vail of refusing to let transgendered skiers go to the bathroom or whatever gets people angry these days.
F'n TRIGGERED!!! :lol:

hrstrat57

Looks like Mountain News (Vail propaganda wing) just deleted all the negative visitor posts to their FB page 15 m ago

these guys r ridiculous!!