• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Epicski dead all content to disappear

yeggous

For real.

Wow. Thanks for the heads up. I've already started the wheels in motion to preserve my content from there. The unofficial guides to Wildcat and Attitash will live on:
http://www.***************************/articles.html/ski-area-guides/new-hampshire/

jimk

Tough thing about it is hardly any notice, just 2 or 3 days before they pull the plug. Over the last 10+ years I have used that site to host hundreds, perhaps thousands of photos and dozens of articles, including every photo I have posted here. After Friday - poof. Now I have to scramble to archive some of my better, older photos and articles from there that I may not have copies of on my PC.
With EpicSki's demise, Snowjournal barely resurrected last year, and some other ski forums running on fumes it makes you wonder? Is FaceBook a decent substitute for ski discussions, info/advice, and the sharing of stoke?

deadheadskier

Staff member
I prefer to keep Facebook mostly separate from my ski discussions. I would probably annoy my nonskiing​ friends and family on Facebook more than I already do if I discussed skiing on Facebook as often as I do here.

I enjoy the focused discussion of passionate skiers that a place like AZ provides. It's for the true nuts with skiing on the brain 365 days a year.

I never participated much in epicski, though I frequently read their content on gear. That is a huge database to sadly see go away.

Sent from my XT1565 using AlpineZone mobile app

benski

Tough thing about it is hardly any notice, just 2 or 3 days before they pull the plug. Over the last 10+ years I have used that site to host hundreds, perhaps thousands of photos and dozens of articles, including every photo I have posted here. After Friday - poof. Now I have to scramble to archive some of my better, older photos and articles from there that I may not have copies of on my PC.
With EpicSki's demise, Snowjournal barely resurrected last year, and some other ski forums running on fumes it makes you wonder? Is FaceBook a decent substitute for ski discussions, info/advice, and the sharing of stoke?

Terrible. nobody likes using Facebook comments. The font sucks. The notification suck. If you turn them off, you miss it. Its hard to find where the unread post begin. Sometimes posts shows up in notifications and your news feed. It takes like 5 times as long to skip a topic. Often you miss stuff becouse of the news feed algorithm. Also sharing threw third parties is unreliable. I think that option comes and goes every 2 weeks. There is a reason college students don't use it to do more than view pages, and share events.

benski

I enjoy the focused discussion of passionate skiers that a place like AZ provides. It's for the true nuts with skiing on the brain 365 days a year./URL]

Me too. I only started liking skiing stuff when I saw a girl I liked doing it. I think it could get you blocked by other people if your older, its more obvious to block a person than to block a page.

yeggous

If you need to offload content, bring it over the ***************************. I coincidentally just brought up the site on Friday and have been working to build it out. I wasn't planning to go live so soon, but the situation has changed. I am working frantically to pull off content from EpicSki with the author's permissions. Right now I am in the middle of pulling down the Unofficial Guides.

dlague

I prefer to keep Facebook mostly separate from my ski discussions. I would probably annoy my nonskiing​ friends and family on Facebook more than I already do if I discussed skiing on Facebook as often as I do here.

I enjoy the focused discussion of passionate skiers that a place like AZ provides. It's for the true nuts with skiing on the brain 365 days a year.

I never participated much in epicski, though I frequently read their content on gear. That is a huge database to sadly see go away.

Sent from my XT1565 using AlpineZone mobile app
Maybe we should start a group on FB.

Sent from my SM-G930P using AlpineZone mobile app

jimk

If you need to offload content, bring it over the ***************************. I coincidentally just brought up the site on Friday and have been working to build it out. I wasn't planning to go live so soon, but the situation has changed. I am working frantically to pull off content from EpicSki with the author's permissions. Right now I am in the middle of pulling down the Unofficial Guides.

Thanks for the offer. I'll look into your site. I am off work tomorrow and will start tackling this problem. I have first cousins that live in Chelmsford and all around the Lowell area.:-D

bdfreetuna

In most cases I prefer to keep worlds separate as well. Have admin'd a group maybe about this size on Facebook before when a vBulletin forum went down. It was a poor substitute.

Long live the forum. Hopefully we see a few new members around here with EpicSki down, which I regret, but I never had an account there.

yeggous

Thanks for the offer. I'll look into your site. I am off work tomorrow and will start tackling this problem. I have first cousins that live in Chelmsford and all around the Lowell area.:-D

When you bring it over, be careful of the images. I pasted some into new articles and they are still being pulled from EpicSki. I'm trying to figure out how to automatically pull them into my own network.

hrstrat57

I sure would like to see my Beginners tip bible and SMJ's Wachusett get togethers thread saved but I will not have time before Friday to accomplish figuring it out.

sad kinda

I too will never ski at or spend any money at Vail or any of it's acquisitions. Like I said this is the equivalent of burning down a library with hundreds of thousands of books inside-the amount of content in 18 years of posting is staggering!

Jully

Westerns are all going to PugSki. Half of them have already made the move.

I think PugSki will serve as a half decent substitute. The gear sections I really like. I hope you can get all or at least a good many of those unofficial guides onto your site though, a lot of those are quite wonderful pieces.