• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

EVs - New Hampshire gets it right

eatskisleep

Why would it be?

18 wheelers weigh are typically dominated by the weight of the cargo they’re hauling. They rarely run empty of cargos.
They won’t be able to carry full loads anymore due to the high weight of batteries. There was a WSJ write up about it. Cost of moving freight will increase drastically. More inflation. Yay!

abc

They won’t be able to carry full loads anymore due to the high weight of batteries. There was a WSJ write up about it. Cost of moving freight will increase drastically. More inflation. Yay!
Electrification will cost more, for now, when fossil fuel are cheap. That’s why we are not embracing renewable energy.

French fries is cheaper than salad. That’s why low income people are more overweight than the medium income population.

Epic pass is cheaper than Ikon pass which is still cheaper than many passes of individual mountains.

Money is the biggest motivator for many people. Until the pricing of fuel changes, EV will continue to have difficulty catching on for the masses.

letitsnow1

Ev trucks will work for local delivery but not for otr with current technology. They need better range and faster and more available charging. Have you seen how many trucks park at truck stops, every rest area on the interstate would need 100s of chargers it's not practical with current ev technology

BodeMiller1

There are free charging stations in Vermont. Spoke with a few folks driving full electrics and they have no issues with charging and the cold weather, butt they keep the car in a heated garage. So, it's important to prorate the cost of heating the garage when calculating cost per mile.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I know they aren't under heavy load like an 18 Wheeler, but electric Amazon delivery vehicles are everywhere around me. I would think that if this wasn't a good option for freight, one of the world's most profitable companies wouldn't use the strategy. Obviously these are for short range deliveries and not long haul.

1dog

BenedictGomez

Ev trucks will work for local delivery but not for otr with current technology. They need better range and faster and more available charging. Have you seen how many trucks park at truck stops, every rest area on the interstate would need 100s of chargers it's not practical with current ev technology

Another reason why battery swapping should have been the initial winning technology, not immovable batteries. Better yet, battery swapping also with a very small internal battery capable of 30 or 40 miles.

letitsnow1

Another reason why battery swapping should have been the initial winning technology, not immovable batteries. Better yet, battery swapping also with a very small internal battery capable of 30 or 40 miles.
There doing the battery swapping thing successfully in China, it only take a few minutes to get a new fully charged battery. It's allowing evs to really take off over there

Edd

Saw one of those fucking ugly Tesla trucks today plugged in at sugarbush. Who the hell would buy that ugly weird angled vehicle?
Not me, but this vid from a travel couple I watch (Kara and Nate, they’re the best) has some recent info about it that I found interesting. Worth a watch.

Smellytele

Im from NY and I wouldn't want one, kinda a$$hole of you to say everybody in a city of over 8 million people are the same.
He never said city so maybe he meant the whole state but when someone from New York City sees New York that can’t comprehend there is a whole state with that name.😀

Harvey

Website
nyskiblog.com
From what I've seen with my hybrid, I'm thinking EVs probably don't make sense for life in the mountains. Especially without a heated garage.

I'm selling my hybrid when we move to the adk.

Does storing an ev below freezing reduce the lifespan of a battery? We are looking at an electric UTV, the Ranger Kinetic.

Last edited: