• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Favorite Hot Sauce

SKidds

Another nod to Frank's Red Hot. I pretty much only use hot sauce when I'm making Buffalo wings, and for that there is nothing better than Franks.

Tangent time.....for those who make their own wings at home. How do you make your sauce, and what is your secret ingredient, if any? My brother THINKS he makes good Buffalo wing. Pish! While he might make a tasty wing (on occasion), they sure aren't Buffalo wings. He dredges the wings in flour (a traditional Buffalo no-no), he uses all sorts of things in his sauces (multiple, exotic hot sauces, BBQ sauce, another decided non-Buffalo move), and he doesn't cook the wings near enough. Buffalo wing sauce doesn't need to be anything more than butter and Franks, in the right proportions. My secret ingredient? A dash of Good Season Italian dressing mix cooked in with the butter before the Franks goes in. Not too much mind you, gives just the slightest hint of herbs to give a little extra flavor without altering the authentic Buffalo taste. Oh, and the wings must be cooked in a deep fryer until good and crispy on the outside without getting dried out on the inside. If I don't say so myself (and I don't need to because others have), but I make the best Buffalo wings around. Wen't to college in the Buffalo/Rochester area, so's I knows!

Grassi21

Another nod to Frank's Red Hot. I pretty much only use hot sauce when I'm making Buffalo wings, and for that there is nothing better than Franks.

Tangent time.....for those who make their own wings at home. How do you make your sauce, and what is your secret ingredient, if any? My brother THINKS he makes good Buffalo wing. Pish! While he might make a tasty wing (on occasion), they sure aren't Buffalo wings. He dredges the wings in flour (a traditional Buffalo no-no), he uses all sorts of things in his sauces (multiple, exotic hot sauces, BBQ sauce, another decided non-Buffalo move), and he doesn't cook the wings near enough. Buffalo wing sauce doesn't need to be anything more than butter and Franks, in the right proportions. My secret ingredient? A dash of Good Season Italian dressing mix cooked in with the butter before the Franks goes in. Not too much mind you, gives just the slightest hint of herbs to give a little extra flavor without altering the authentic Buffalo taste. Oh, and the wings must be cooked in a deep fryer until good and crispy on the outside without getting dried out on the inside. If I don't say so myself (and I don't need to because others have), but I make the best Buffalo wings around. Wen't to college in the Buffalo/Rochester area, so's I knows!

Good points. Dredging them in flour is unnecessary IMHO. I totally agree on the crispy outside w/out drying them out. Franks and butter is what wings taste like to me. I have experimented with some Asian style wings, but they are a whole other beast that the traditional ones.

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
I did smoked wings on the Orion a few times. I'm going to try Texas Pete and butter.

I gotta tell ya, I'm pretty impressed with Texas Pete. Put some in my soup yesterday. Delicious!

frozencorn

Wings: Bake or fry. Toss in mixture of Franks and butter.

Nothing else needed.

Grassi21

Wings: Bake or fry. Toss in mixture of Franks and butter.

Nothing else needed.

I've done the baking route a few times. Works pretty good and you don't have to stand over a pot of hot oil and splatter yourself.

SKidds

I've done the baking thing out of desperation, but it is a second rate cooking method if you want really good wings. We purchased a small electric deep fryer. No standing over splattering pot required. I do plug it in out on the deck and cook my wings outside to avoid the nasty frying oil smell in the house.

frozencorn

If you bake and then broil, things come out a lot crispier. Granted, frying is ideal, but if you can't face the work, baking remains a viable option.

SKidds

You could go without butter, but why would you want to? The butter not only changes the consistency, but the flavor.

drjeff

You could go without butter, but why would you want to? The butter not only changes the consistency, but the flavor.

Just because wings and butter have been recently mentioned, let me add 2 others into the mix. Bacon. Beer. - afterall how could this not get better when Bacon and Beer are added into a thread where Butter and Wings have already been mentioned! :)

Philpug

There used to be a great hot sauce from" Mad River Glen, Eat it if you can" it was fantastic on potatoes and steak sandwiched. They no longer sell it and no one seamed to know where it was sourced from.