• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

First signs that ski season is near

BushMogulMaster

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
This was a somewhat convincing sign for me last week:

attachment.php

Attachments

• 20160826-topcam.jpg
    20160826-topcam.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 288

Quietman

The cooler air tonight is very welcome after the hottest August on record in the Boston area since data started being recorded in the 1880's. This summer has been great for the electric companies, and people who like 85+ temps. I hate the heat and tonight was my 1st hike up South Pack in a long time as the dryer air and cool winds were great and really enjoyed sitting on top of the fire tower for a while. We really need this trend of drought and high temps to break soon. The deja vu to last year is really starting to scare me!

deadheadskier

Staff member
Didn't notice if someone posted this already: I saw an ad for the Hermitage on a taxi in Boston last week.

You know where you see ads for the Hermitage all over the place in Boston? On solar powered trash cans. I'm assuming this has something to do with the Hermitage's owner making his millions in waste removal, but it's still a little bit strange. Its hard to imagine someone walking down the street, disposing their Dunkin Donuts coffee cup, seeing the advertisement and thinking, "Hey, I've always wanted to own a million dollar slopeside home at a private ski resort." I guess it works though because I've noticed the ads many times walking around Back Bay. Perhaps I only notice though because I'm already aware of the Hermitage.

machski

You know where you see ads for the Hermitage all over the place in Boston? On solar powered trash cans. I'm assuming this has something to do with the Hermitage's owner making his millions in waste removal, but it's still a little bit strange. Its hard to imagine someone walking down the street, disposing their Dunkin Donuts coffee cup, seeing the advertisement and thinking, "Hey, I've always wanted to own a million dollar slopeside home at a private ski resort." I guess it works though because I've noticed the ads many times walking around Back Bay. Perhaps I only notice though because I'm already aware of the Hermitage.

They are targeted at those disposing their Starbucks cups 😉

Los

The deja vu to last year is really starting to scare me!

Yep. Still hoping for a miracle, but I'm bracing myself for an early season as miserable as last year's.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

slatham

Saw multiple flocks of geese/ducks flying south when I was surfing this week on Long Island.

As far as omens foretelling a similar winter to last - the biggest one is nowhere near last year, which is a minor La Nina this year vs. a very strong El Nino last year. Not saying it has to be colder than normal, and it might in fact end up warmer than normal, but it will NOT end up like last years debacle.

drjeff

Hit my preferred local ski shop at Mount Snow this morning with the temps in the 40's and got the kids set up with 4 pairs of race skis, 2 pairs of race boots, a pair of race gloves and 2 pairs of race poles - got the stoke going feeling the cool air and holding a bunch of ski gear!