• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

First Snowfalls, Upcoming weather and Storms of winter 2023-2024. Storm snow totals, Observations and Predictions?

KustyTheKlown

Snowing heavily at the river. Groomahs with snow on top ski great. Incredible how much obvious damage from the big storm

And its ski on and only chon is hold

Last edited:

Edd

Mostly rain at Gunstock overnight. Still going. I’d give this winter a D- so far.

Mainer

Tomorrow is going to be all time crowded at the resorts. Raining/sleeting in the MWV right now. Town is packed

MidnightJester

Storm #3 is winding down and Maine seems like it will get the best conditions and extra out of this storm. Whoever ventured out this Holiday weekend and is roughing it out today Bravery to you for the Crowds with a good Saturday and possible crappy(Frozen & Glazed) conditions(Sunday& Monday). Mondays first hand reports will set the Snow stage for most mountains unfortunately for a little while.
gerri-snowqpf-13jan24.jpg

PatternCenEastNxWk13Jan.jpg

Last edited:

snoseek

That midweek hope ain't looking so good so basically a hard freeze and a couple inches to cover it all up. Yeah ill ski it but seriously fuck all that.

Hillwalker95

We gave this weekend a miss given holiday crowds and dodgy forecast. Looks like better from mid next week though? Maybe next weekend better?

BodeMiller1

Yep, Cannon is closed because of wind. They made the call early 7:15 AM.

SugarLoaf only one lift, Skid Way, this morning. Back side not open, not closed. Back side faces South 🍁

JayPeak Water Park at is Sold Out for today.

Driving: packed ice and more packed ice. Where roads salted? Loose Granular.

Tonight, abandon all hope. If the ice don't get you the wind will.
😐🐰

BodeMiller1

Still snow at sr. All lifts
You should be commended for choice of mountain today.

This is the best time of the year for mountain operation night watching. The snowcats working their magic, like lightening bugs in a mason jar. No apparent ryme nor reason.

⌚❄️❄️❄️

Really good article in The New York Times on emoji law.😱 Thinking these are okay.😎

BenedictGomez

I cant believe how sustained this snowfall is. I went outside to shovel and came in at 4pm. At 8:30 I thought I'd go outside and see how much more it'd snowed, thinking probably like 3 or 4 inches. The ruler sunk to 11.25 inches......in just 4.5 hours. That's a 2.5 inch an hour rate with long duration. No wind at all. Amazing. There's another 1.5 inches out there now so it slowed to 3/4 inch per hour, but that's still a healthy rate.

KustyTheKlown

Yup, held out longer than I had hoped. Was pouring by then end of the day though. A lot of water injection, tomorrow will be fast. Heck, even local lines in the woods with out h skies great today!

I regret not poaching some oz stuff but I was wary due to unknown obstacles from the washout storms. Some areas were just so obviously fucked from that. Like drainages that got way bigger and filled with huge chunks of rock and debris, downed trees, blah blah. If it was killington or one of my more regular haunts I’d be less cautious. Just don’t know the terrain as well here in Maine.

I’m going to sugarloaf over saddleback today mainly bc I have more faith in the grooming and lift system at loaf

One day I’ll get to saddleback. Another long weekend around Easter maybe. Hard to get this far away in a regular weekend