• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

First time to Killington

mikestaple

Going up Monday and will avoid the super cold of this weekend. And the good lord would never let it pour rain all day in mid February on a ski mountain right?!?!? RIGHT?!?!?

So with teenagers what is there to do in Rutland when pre mature snow really starts to come down? And all of us like to ski blacks. Any recent Intel on how those are skiing (Superstar, Black man etc).

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone

steamboat1

For blacks Superstar, Cascade & Double Dipper were all excellent when I last skied there Thurs. Outer Limits could use a winch cat since it still has ice from the rain event last week. Superstar, Cascade & Double Dipper have all been resurfaced & then some since the rain event, OL has not. They've done a great job recovering from the rain event & overall the mountain was in excellent shape. One bit of advice though is to get out there early because it will get scraped off later.

As for what to do in Rutland I can't really say since I don't have young kids. There is a bowling alley on Rt. 7 & a movie theater downtown. Ben & Jerry's is close to an hour & a 1/2 away & not really worth it even if it were in Rutland IMHO.

joshua segal

Website
skikabbalah.com

As for what to do in Rutland I can't really say since I don't have young kids. There is a bowling alley on Rt. 7 & a movie theater downtown. Ben & Jerry's is close to an hour & a 1/2 away & not really worth it even if it were in Rutland IMHO.
Is the Ben and Jerry's complex open in the winter?

There is a nice collection of outlet stores in Manchester, VT.

steamboat1

Is the Ben and Jerry's complex open in the winter?

There is a nice collection of outlet stores in Manchester, VT.

Yes the indoor tour is open at B & J's in winter.

As for outlet stores Queensbury, NY has a better collection & is about equidistant from Rutland as Manchester. There's also a Six Flags indoor water park in Queensbury, never been myself.

edit: One thing I'd recommend to do on a weather day in the area is take a tour of the fish hatchery in Chittiden (sp?). The Ranger will give you a nice tour & explain everything. Only downside is can be hard to find. I always get lost in Chittiden & I know the area. You'd turn in to find it right by the Sugar & Spice breakfast place.

Last edited:

jaybird

Day trip to Jay Peak water park with dinner stop in Burlington.
Rutland is not likely to deliver the choices you'd prefer.
Woodstock and Hanover may be worth a visit.

skifree

the walmart in Rutland is always a mind blowing experience.

steamboat1

Some good restaurants in Rutland/Mendon. In Rutland I'd recommend either Root's or Southside Grille. In Mendon you have Red Clover Inn, Vermont Inn or Countrymans Pleasure. Long Trail Inn at the top of Sherburne Pass is also good.

No need to go to Jay for a waterpark. Like I said there's an indoor waterpark in Queensbury only an hour away.

KustyTheKlown

some of you have zero sense of geography

ben & jerry's in waterbury, not exactly close to killington, and its going to rain or be icing on tuesday!

same with jay, that's well over 2 hours away from killington/rutland.

dlague

Day trip from Killington to Jay Peak via Burlington? That is way out of the way! Even day tripping to Jay Peak from Killington is 5 hours RT.

Woodstock has some nice places to eat!

ScottySkis

I sleep in my car in their parking lot bunch of times when I had a season pass over 10 year ago don't remember anything different their then any other Walmart.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Smellytele

Some good restaurants in Rutland/Mendon. In Rutland I'd recommend either Root's or Southside Grille. In Mendon you have Red Clover Inn, Vermont Inn or Countrymans Pleasure. Long Trail Inn at the top of Sherburne Pass is also good.

No need to go to Jay for a waterpark. Like I said there's an indoor waterpark in Queensbury only an hour away.
I believe there may be an indoor water park in White River/ Hartland right off 89 across from the VA hospital.

VTKilarney

I believe there may be an indoor water park in White River/ Hartland right off 89 across from the VA hospital.

It's an aquatic center with a very small recreational component. It's more about swimming lessons and competitions. But it can be fine for a couple of hours. Just keep your expectations in check.

bdfreetuna

Don't miss out on the Needle's Eye area. Dreammaker Headwall is my favorite. Vertigo Headwall has a nice pitch too. It's less crowded over there.

I wouldn't waste too much time on Superstar area right now, Ovation is basically bare and that's the best trail there. Superstar itself is a boring crowded annoying trail... see below for further advice regarding that area.

Check out Double Dipper in the Canyon area and make sure to get into Big Dipper Woods. It might be closed but it has just as much snow as the main trail right next to it. Duck a rope. East Fall is another fun one in the Canyon area.

If Powerline is open off the North Ridge lift, ski that. Fun narrow bump run.

Not sure if the South Ridge will be open at all, but if it is, ski Jug down to Bear Mountain or Needle's Eye area. I wouldn't waste time on Bear right now unless you really want to try Outer Limits, which is a nice relatively steep bump trail but not the best the mountain has to offer.

After doing that get your butt over to Ramshead and end the day there ripping blue squares as fast as you can until your legs are dead. I would basically skip Snowdon because it gets crowded and the trails are mediocre on that mountain; Ramshead is more fun for blues and if you follow my plan you've skied all the best stuff that's currently open.

Now there may be some woods like the Throne and a few others up on Snowdon, a low angle one called Squeeze Play, that might be good to go with caution. Use your discretion; they'll be closed but if that's how you like to end the day, go for it. Just watch out for water bars and make sure you got a clear view. DO NOT try to ski woods like Julio, Jaunita or any of the double black woods right now. You can probably get away with skiing the woods next to Skylark off Superstar lift if you're really searching for doable woods.

Also to skiers right off Superstar are several opportunities to duck into the unmarked Superstar Woods. See how much snow there is. Beware there is a brook that runs through there, so you may have to exit at some point horizontally. I'm not sure how much snowmaking blowover will be in there by the time you arrive. But it's never "open" or "closed".

K1 lodge is the place to be for drinks. Summit lodge for lunch. Don't waste too much time lodging around it's a big mountain with a lot of traversing. But you can do this in 1 day if you stay focused :)

Last edited:

steamboat1

don't miss out on the needle's eye area. Dreammaker headwall is my favorite. Vertigo headwall has a nice pitch too. It's less crowded over there.

I wouldn't waste too much time on superstar area right now, ovation is basically bare and that's the best trail there. Superstar itself is a boring crowded annoying trail... See below for further advice regarding that area.

Check out double dipper in the canyon area and make sure to get into big dipper woods. It might be closed but it has just as much snow as the main trail right next to it. Duck a rope. East fall is another fun one in the canyon area.

If powerline is open off the north ridge lift, ski that. Fun narrow bump run.

Not sure if the south ridge will be open at all, but if it is, ski jug down to bear mountain or needle's eye area. I wouldn't waste time on bear right now unless you really want to try outer limits, which is a nice relatively steep bump trail but not the best the mountain has to offer.

After doing that get your butt over to ramshead and end the day there ripping blue squares as fast as you can until your legs are dead. I would basically skip snowdon because it gets crowded and the trails are mediocre on that mountain; ramshead is more fun for blues and if you follow my plan you've skied all the best stuff that's currently open.

Now there may be some woods like the throne and a few others up on snowdon, a low angle one called squeeze play, that might be good to go with caution. Use your discretion; they'll be closed but if that's how you like to end the day, go for it. Just watch out for water bars and make sure you got a clear view. Do not try to ski woods like julio, jaunita or any of the double black woods right now. You can probably get away with skiing the woods next to skylark off superstar lift if you're really searching for doable woods.

Also to skiers right off superstar are several opportunities to duck into the unmarked superstar woods. See how much snow there is. Beware there is a brook that runs through there, so you may have to exit at some point horizontally. I'm not sure how much snowmaking blowover will be in there by the time you arrive. But it's never "open" or "closed".

K1 lodge is the place to be for drinks. Summit lodge for lunch. Don't waste too much time lodging around it's a big mountain with a lot of traversing. But you can do this in 1 day if you stay focused :)

lmao