• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Fishing 2023

JimG.

Staff member
8/3-Rye Lake

Steve and I enjoyed some great weather and a south wind. Although it was not a hot day the water has warmed up enough to drive smallmouths deep where you need to use live bait and a depth and temp gauge to find the thermocline and fish at that depth. Just too much stuff to drag along so we fished for largemouths today. Turned out to be a good day with plenty of action. We both caught some OK bass but I had a bad day keeping fish on the hook and wound up losing about 3/4 of my fish and all my biggest ones.

I was using the Yamasenko and I always try to hook my fish as soon as I detect a hit; I'm used to hyper-aggressive smallmouths gulping the worm and I hate swallowed hooks. But I needed to slow down and let the more laid back largemouths have the bait. I boated 4 of my last 5 hookups, mostly small. As we headed in, I hooked my nicest bass of the day at the boat spot. The only smallmouth we saw all day. Great fight with several good jumps. Got it right to my hand and as I reached to lip it, the fish shook the hook and was gone.

That's fishing.

JimG.

Staff member
8/13-Rye Lake

Another beautiful August summer day! Got out with Steve and my youngest son James. The dog days of summer are upon us, but the fishing is still holding up really well. We caught a bunch of nice bass, but we had to work for them today. Mostly largemouths, the one smallie I hooked was quite nice. Put up a great fight but unfortunately swallowed the hook and came aboard bleeding. My first kept fish this season made a delicious dinner for the family tonight.
2331.jpg
2332.jpg
2333.jpg
2334.jpg

Rye Lake has been fishing gold all season.

JimG.

Staff member
8/18-Rye Lake

Got out for a few hours with Steve. My first fish boated was a decent largemouth. And that turned out to be the trophy fish for the day. We hooked quite a few small bass but nothing approaching keeper size the rest of the day.

Last edited:

JimG.

Staff member
8/20-Bog Brook Reservoir

Got out early, on the water at 6:30am. Fished with my youngest son James. We boated at least 2 dozen small bass, again nothing bigger than 6". Quite a few palm sized sunnys as well. First time since early spring that fish refused the Yamasenko. The brown trout colored ULS04 Rapala was the big fish producer today. The Croton reservoir group is totally full at 102%.

At about 10:30 we went to the point across from our boat spot and we jigged 1oz. Krocodiles and Kastmasters down deep looking for bigger fish. We got several good hits and I hooked something decent that I of course lost before getting a look. Live bait would have worked today. We were happy just to interact with the fish down deep and proving they were there. James heads back to college this weekend.

2337.jpg2336.jpg2335.jpg

Last edited:

JimG.

Staff member
9/13-Rye Lake

Got out with Steve for a good day of bass fishing. Neither of us had fished for the past 3 weeks and we were a little concerned when we arrived in the midst of downpours. But we hung out and ate lunch and the storms passed. Before we knew it the sun was out! Nice when it rains when you arrive and then stops for the rest of the day.

It was a typical late summer day at Rye Lake, we each caught a few decent sized smallmouths that were 16-17". Quantity over quality for most of the day. Then I hooked and landed the big largemouth I always seem to catch late in summer:

2338.jpg

Fish put up a great fight!

I'll get out a few more times but skiing approaches rapidly! Right now I'm watching to see what Hurricane Lee does to the east coast of New England. We have a week-long trip to Nantucket scheduled 9/26-10/1. Pretty stoked about that.

ThatGuy

Went to Garnet Lake and Mill Creek today. Got ~10 Pickerel, some Perch and a few Brookies. Most productive day of the season.
IMG_0203.jpegIMG_0200.jpegIMG_0208.jpegIMG_0199.jpegIMG_0188.jpegIMG_9695.jpegIMG_9696.jpegIMG_9694.jpeg

ThatGuy

Camped two days at the Bog River Flow. One of my favorite spots in the Adirondacks for both views and fishing and this trip didn’t disappoint. Hooked into around 30 bass, most were in the 10-14” range but also got a few monsters including the largest of the year. Caught him and another in one cast on the same lure, that was a first for me! I’ll upload that video when my dad sends it. Also bushwacked up a ridgeline for some crazy views.
IMG_1096.jpegIMG_2658.jpegIMG_2672.jpegIMG_2638.jpegIMG_2661.jpegIMG_1107.jpegIMG_1118.jpegIMG_1126.jpegIMG_2686.jpeg
IMG_1134.jpeg