• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Fishing 2023

JimG.

Staff member
9/26 to 10/1-Nantucket

My first time to Nantucket. What a beautiful place! We were out at 6am every day, fished until about 10:30, ate breakfast and relaxed until about 2pm and then fished until dusk.

2339.jpg
2340.jpg
2341.jpg
2343.jpg
2342.jpg

If you look carefully at the last shot you can see harbor and gray seals lounging on the point. There are 4 species of seals here and they are protected. More about the seals later.

JimG.

Staff member
The fishing was excellent. I have dabbled a few times with surf casting but nothing serious like this trip. It was awesome! We caught albacore, striped bass, bonito, and tons of blue fish. I managed to catch at least one of each which my buddy Rich N. (our host) made a big deal over as a Nantucket grand slam. I was less concerned with that and more focused on not getting sealed. Yes, the seals are stupid smart and enjoy stealing hooked fish. I would say that about half of my biggest fish got sealed which is somewhat average. A little frustrating but the fishing is so good you hook another fish and forget about the seals.

2344.jpg
2345.jpg
Rich N. with a nice striper and an albacore.
2346.jpg
2348.jpg
2347.jpg

Me with a striper and a nice albacore. If you look carefully just offshore in the last shot you can see a seal looking to steal fish. If they don't seal you fighting the fish they wait for you to release it and try to attack it then.

JimG.

Staff member
Finally, a pic each of our other fishermen.

Rich G. with a nice bonito.

2349.jpg

And Steve with another albacore.

2350.jpg

An amazing 6 days of fishing in one of the most beautiful places I've ever been.

JimG.

Staff member
We released all fish except 1 bonito that came ashore dead. No injuries to it, one of those fish that get hooked and have a seizure.
We cooked in every night but our last night on Sat. Great menu of BBQ steak and chicken. The bonito was filleted expertly by Rich N. and made some great sushi!

Abominable

We released all fish except 1 bonito that came ashore dead. No injuries to it, one of those fish that get hooked and have a seizure.
We cooked in every night but our last night on Sat. Great menu of BBQ steak and chicken. The bonito was filleted expertly by Rich N. and made some great sushi!

Wow Jim, I surf fished for many years (now more kayaking) and man what a great trip you got. Never had a slam from the surf like that - to get into albies and bones from the surf especially - great timing.

Those bonito (not the albies) are great eating and a pretty 'renewable' resource unlike the bass that have seen seriously drops in populations over the years.

I miss having a beach buggy and driving all over LI chasing fish. Well done!

newportland54

North-Central Maine (Hang my hat in Bangor)
Fantastic stuff Jim,
Nantucket is truly a special place..... I didn't get in ANY fishing for stripers up here along the Maine coast this last season and am salivating.
Temps up here have been pretty normal...although horrendously wet through the summer.

newportland54...(bigbog in the past)
Steve in Bangor

JimG.

Staff member
Thanks to both of you it was a special trip for me.

I benefitted from the experience and equipment my buddy Rich N. provides. He spends a month every year late Sept/early Oct fishing on Nantucket. Hoping he invites me again next year!

JimG.

Staff member
11/5-Pepacton reservoir/Mill creek

Last day of fishing this season. Went with Rich G. Got to Arena at 11am and fished until sundown. I expected to see no fish let alone hooking anything. But at the mouth of the creek there were rainbow trout feeding on mayflies. A few of the trout leapt clear out of the water eating the flies. Of course, I left my fly fishing gear at home; not sure I could have presented my fly the way these fish were feeding. I did get a few hits on a small floating plug but couldn't get the hook in anything. A few of those rainbows were good sized like 18". Rich caught 2 brown trout in the creek, one about 18". Pretty good day. Time to ski.242.jpg
241.jpg