• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

flying to Denver with skis

mishka

I want to get out West for the first time this season. Will be flying to Denver with my skis. I read some airlines better than others.
Overall would appreciate advice on logistics such as airfare, hotel and car rental

Southwest - two bags for free. 50 lbs per bag. Just went to Utah into SLC with them. No questions asked with a ski bag with two big pairs of skis in there and a huge North Face bag that was 47 lbs.

Domeskier

Do you guys use hard plastic cases for your skis when you fly? If not, are you worried about damage to your bindings?

I've got a padded ski bag - seems to work fine. I flown with it half a dozen times and no damage.

jaytrem

You can also get a credit card associated with a few airlines that will give you your first bag free. They'll typically give you a load of miles too, along with waiving the annual fee for the first year. My strategy is to get the card just before a trip, then cancel right after next years trip. At that point they'll refund the annual fee that they would have recently charged.

Want free hotels? Get yourself a Marriott credit card. My wife just signed up for that one today. We'll get at least 6 free night out of it. Other chains have similar deals.

Rolling credits cards is easy money once you get the hang of it. As long as you don't do it too often it won't negatively effect your credit. I'm up to about 3 cards a year and 3 for my wife. Both credit scores are still excellent. The funny thing is the more I abuse the credit card companies the more and better deals they send me. Of course if you have credit card money spending issues it's probably best to avoid them.

For rental cars I always book super early even if I'm just considering a trip. Worst case I cancel them. Best case I got in at the lowest price. For example I booked a SUV for Bozemen in Feb 2013 for Feb 2014, 9 days from Alamo for $262 total. It stayed low for a whole, but as the trip got closer the price would have been triple.

Can you share some more trip details? I sure you can get plenty of good advice around hear. Also, what tye of lodging do you prefer? Motel 6? Slopeside? What type of ski areas are you looking to ski? Vail types? Loveland types?

mishka

I got hard plastic case. Don't feel comfortable with a bag. one pair skis with bindings easily fit in a case 2 pairs I need to take clamps of (demo) not sure if I can put binding in a case separately because if somebody open the case for inspection somewhere along the way binding could get lost

How about other airlines it substantial difference in prices almost a double compared to JetBlue for example. What fees other airlines charge for bags?

jaytrem

How about other airlines it substantial difference in prices almost a double compared to JetBlue for example. What fees other airlines charge for bags?

I think most are $25 for the 1st bag. 2nd bag seems to vary more last I checked. Usually $25 to $35, but it's been a while since I checked.

soulseller

I've flown out west with United, JetBlue, and Southwest depending on who is cheapest. I think most if not all airlines consider ski and boot bag as 1 total bag.

Same goes with rental car, search for cheapest (check with AAA if you have membership), all rental agencies in CO have 4WD cars in my experience. Keep in mind it is a 2h minimum drive to the closest places (Loveland and WinterPark I think) and traffic getting out of Denver can be rough.

I use a cheap bag with padding in the binding area, i've never had a problem.

mishka

Can you share some more trip details? I sure you can get plenty of good advice around hear. Also, what tye of lodging do you prefer? Motel 6? Slopeside? What type of ski areas are you looking to ski? Vail types? Loveland types?

unfortunately I cannot plan to far ahead maybe couple weeks out for now I'm thinking January 5--9. Definitely Motel 6 type hotel and Loveland / Winter Park

jaytrem

unfortunately I cannot plan to far ahead maybe couple weeks out for now I'm thinking January 5--9. Definitely Motel 6 type hotel and Loveland / Winter Park

Sending you a PM.

soulseller

I stayed at the Super 8 in Georgetown one night, it was not terribly memorable but it did the job and its only 15 minutes to Loveland.

I didn't like Loveland that much, I was only there for 1 day but the top half was completely wind scoured. Winter Park was easily 10x better plus its a great drive through the Berthoud pass. Check WP for lodging options, we got a slope side room for short money.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Go Southwest. No problems when flying skis with them.

United: meh.

Jet Blue: double meh. They can't figure out if they are a discount airline or a legacy carrier.

American: no way.

DoublePlanker

I stuff the ski bag with clothes so the skis can't get damaged. I also carry on the boots and the ski clothes just in case luggage is lost I can just rent skis.

I have also skipped bringing the skis and rented for the week. Then I go for a ski more suited for Western conditions. After the last time I did that, I purchased a Western ski.

mishka

I stuff the ski bag with clothes so the skis can't get damaged. I also carry on the boots and the ski clothes just in case luggage is lost I can just rent skis.

I have also skipped bringing the skis and rented for the week. Then I go for a ski more suited for Western conditions. After the last time I did that, I purchased a Western ski.

not much to stuff into plastic case. Not to bring my skis out of the question because they are important part of this trip.

gmcunni

i've had good luck with jet blue. padded bag, stuffed ski bag with extras (cloths + stuff) to minimize # of bags.

Skis and Snowboards
Ski and snowboard equipment are not accepted on flights to/from the Dominican Republic.
There is no additional charge for ski and snowboard equipment; however, one item of equipment will count as one of your checked bags. Skis and snowboards are exempt from the standard size requirements (62") but should still follow weight and other equipment guidelines.
One item of ski equipment is considered:

• One pair of skis, with one pair of ski boots and one pair of ski poles. (Please note: ski boots, if packed separately from skiing equipment, must be in a ski boot bag to be considered part of the one piece of checked baggage) or
  • One snowboard, with one pair of snowboard boots. (Please note: snowboard boots, if packed separately from snowboarding equipment, must be in a snow boot bag to be considered part of the one piece of checked baggage). Also note, customers will be charged an excess baggage fee if the snowboard exceeds our checked baggage weight requirements.
The equipment must be checked in at the ticket counter. All ski or snowboard equipment must be in a sturdy container for protection since we do not provide ski boxes.

mishka

i've had good luck with jet blue. padded bag, stuffed ski bag with extras (cloths + stuff) to minimize # of bags.

"There is no additional charge for ski and snowboard equipment; however, one item of equipment will count as one of your checked bags."

I'm confused here so do they charge for skis are not?

Hawkshot99

"There is no additional charge for ski and snowboard equipment; however, one item of equipment will count as one of your checked bags."

I'm confused here so do they charge for skis are not?

They will count a ski bag as your checked bag without a "oversize" fee. However that means you can't have a suitcase checked. Well you can, but will pay extra for it.