• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Free bag checks..... Why don't some people use them????

drjeff

So I've been in multiple base lodges this season (Mount Snow, Stratton, Gunstock just off the top of my head for starters) where there is easy access, free bag check service, often with prominently displayed signs around the lodge letting people know that this free service is available for them.

And yet I still see lots and lots of people choosing not to use them, and leave their bags unsupervised in the lodge?? Heck yesterday afternoon when I was taking my boots off about 1:30 down in the lower level of the Gunstock Base Lodge in the room where their free bag check is located, from the looks of it there were way more bags NOT in the free bag check room than were???

I just don't get why people won't use a free service (Ok maybe most people like myself end up throwing a buck or 2 in the often present tip jar at the end of the day so it ends not not exactly being "free") that is there and helps greatly reduce the risk that your bag, or items within your bag could be stolen while your out enjoying the slopes??

Anyone else notice this at other mountains and/or actively choose not to use a free bag check service that a mountain provides??

hammer

Guessing people are unaware, too cheap to bother with the "cost", or don't want to deal with waiting in line to get the bag.

Guilty as charged here mainly for the last reason above.

Aside from prescription glasses and a backup pair of googles, I usually don't keep anything in my bag that anyone would/should care to steal. Much bigger concern is skis and we faithfully lock them with a basic cable lock, mainly as a deterrent.

VTKilarney

I wouldn't use a bag check if I had to wait more than a couple of minutes to either drop off my bag or to retrieve it.

benski

I think sugarbush has the write idea on this one. Just have sufficient shelves in the lodge to put stuff on. I rarely see misplaced bags sitting in the lodge.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Los

Good question! Here's why I never use bag check, if I have a choice:
a) I usually don't have cash, so I couldn't tip even if I wanted to.
b) I find myself needing to access our bags at different times of the day. 'twould be a pain to have to get them out from bag check every time.
c) I DO leave valuables in the bags, but I make the assumption that there aren't thieves roaming around rifling through everyone's stuff. Having said that, I do realize there is some small chance that something will be stolen.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
" It's all about me!"

I'll never forget the time at the mid-Burke lodge where a super-huge bag was on the table, all the tables were taken, so I moved it to the adjacent floor by the heater. This big, football-esq twenty something came over. "Who moved my bag?" he shouted. "I did, we needed the seats". "Don't touch my bag! Don't ever touch my bag!" What a baby, I thought. reminded me of a two year old when someone took his toy. But I didn't say it...
He must have been the high school bully.

mbedle

Don't really see a need to check my bag. Usually only have a extra set of googles and gloves, my cloths and a pair of boots.

cdskier

I think sugarbush has the write idea on this one. Just have sufficient shelves in the lodge to put stuff on. I rarely see misplaced bags sitting in the lodge.

I was going to say I don't even know whether Sugarbush has one or not as I rarely even go in the base lodges. The reason I don't use any sort of bag check is because the only bag I have is my backpack that I ski with. It has very little in it though.

Scruffy

I skied Killington for years before the "free bag check", and there was always adequate places to hang or pigeon hole your bag. I'm mostly talking about the K1 lodge here. A number of years ago, after one of the change of ownerships, they instituted the no bags anywhere around the lodge ( except the 3rd floor ) and the "free bag check". Now, they do have a very limited number of pigeon holes for bags ( like maybe 20 slots), so if I get there early, I'd just as soon use those.

As for the free bag check: I'll use it, but it can be a pain if there is a line to drop off or pick up, especially if I just need to change out some clothes or something and you have people waiting on you. I don't mind tipping once, but two or three times a day get's to be more of a pain.

BenedictGomez

Odds of someone rifling through your bag is equal on either side of the bag check counter.

Fact Check: False.

I mean, come on now.

I make the assumption that there aren't thieves roaming around rifling through everyone's stuff.

Poor assumption. Lots of petty theft at ski resorts. The reason most people haven't experience it is the same reason a given minnow likely isn't the one eaten in the giant school of fish.

VTKilarney

Source of your fact checking? Or are you just making it up like I did?

BG is using basic logic and common sense. If we assume that one out of X number of people are thieves, bag checking drastically reduces the number of people who have access to your bag. Secondly, an employee will not remain an employee for long if there are complaints of theft. So it is statistically less likely that an employee is a thief compared to those who wander the lodge with no accountability whatsoever.

Los

Well, regardless, most of the places I ski aren't fancy enough to have a bag check. So it's usually not an option anyway.

BenedictGomez

Source of your fact checking? Or are you just making it up like I did?

Correct.

It's completely absurd to draw risk equivalence between several thousand random members of society, with 4 designated resort employees permitted to access baggage.

BG is using basic logic and common sense.

If we assume that one out of X number of people are thieves, bag checking drastically reduces the number of people who have access to your bag. Secondly, an employee will not remain an employee for long if there are complaints of theft. So it is statistically less likely that an employee is a thief compared to those who wander the lodge with no accountability whatsoever.

Or this longer version.

Los

Correct.

It's completely absurd to draw risk equivalence between several thousand random members of society, with 4 designated resort employees permitted to access baggage.

You seem really passionate about this. Do you have a relative or close friend who works as a bag checker?