• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Future of the original Crotched Mountain...

canobie#1

Could we see this place open again?
With all the success that Peaks Resort has with the west side, is it possible for them to expand more? Seeing the original mountain return would be awesome!

canobie#1

I don't thinks there is any lifts left but the trails just need to be cleaned.

deadheadskier

Staff member
My initial thought is that I'm not sure they'd get the ROI reopening Crotched East. If they were going to expand, I think the more realistic option would be to gradually work their way towards the East if the business levels make sense. Developing the terrain between the two areas was on the drawing board at one point. I'd be surprised to see any additional terrain development to the current product they offer. If the access was easier/quicker from Manchester/93 then it might make business sense, but Crotched is kind of a pain in the neck to get to from the 93 corridor.

That said, it does look like there's some decent terrain to develop a terrain pod to the East; might even add a bit of vert.

zyejhx.jpg

The question of reopening Crotched East was posed in the 2006 Alpinezone ski area challenge and it was left open as a possibility.

http://www.alpinezone.com/skiing/ch...chris-bradford-of-crotched-mountain-ski-area/

New England Ski History . com claims there are no current plans for it.

http://newenglandskihistory.com/NewHampshire/crotchedmtneast.php

Nelsap doesn't make mention of the East Side coming back either.

http://www.nelsap.org/nh/crotched.html

http://www.nelsap.org/crotched/crotchedrebirth.html

As a young kid, I skied Crotched East a couple of times with my parents, but we didn't venture over to the West Side. The East side was the more popular and developed side during the mid-80s when we visited. We were all novices at the time and I think my father feared that my mom and I would struggle with the long traverse to and from Crotched West.

I'm actually going to head over to Crotched tomorrow to pick up my Granite Pass and get a few runs in. I don't think I'll be able to swing up to the old East Side tomorrow, but at some point this season I'll do so and post some pictures of the current condition of the area.

canobie#1

It looks like the highest point is in between the two mountains. Maybe they could start in the middle peak and head left.

Tin

I was there for opening day yesterday and it was the busiest I have seen it. They do a great job with snowmaking, the quick lift, and all the unmarked tree skiing make this place pretty amazing for southern NH. The biggest issue I see in expanding is its' location. It is not close to much and the lodging close by books up quick (The Crotched Mt Resort has some weekends already booked until March and they just opened yesterday).

canobie#1

Many people see this as a day place. I don't think lack of lodging would slow down the business if the expand. Maybe some more condos?

St. Bear

Website
twitter.com
Speaking as someone who does a lot of skiing all over NH, the #1 limiting factor is location. The time it takes to get to Crotched from the Manchester area, I could be on the mountain at Ragged, Gunstock, or Waterville, pulling into the lot at Loon, and almost to Cannon.

canobie#1

People get attracted to crotched because of its location, it's closer to boston and nasty add Massachusetts. Lol

4aprice

I used to ski Crotched when both areas were open.(early 1980's) Would love to see the old east side reopened. Blitz was a great trail. As someone mentioned neither ski area went to the true summit. There was a power line between the two that used to look quite skiable and I believe that went to the true summit. Look back fondly on the days of the $35 season pass (via the college I attended). Got some great memories including one where we unloaded the main chair (east side & at night) only to have the power blow. They made us stay there for a considerable amount of time in the cold (we had the obligatory college treats with us) then finally distributed flairs to us to ski down the perimeter trail. Many took off a blazed down in the dark. Remember the east side lodge being pretty funky too.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

WinnChill

Lot of good memories for me too. I skied there a ton in the 80's with the school ski club. I kept wiping out on that huge drop-off on Blitz run. I've been back there off and on in recent years with my son and really enjoy the improvements they have made (esp the HS Quad). I would love to see the old East side come back alive.

deadheadskier

Staff member
It would appear that a major limiting factor for expansion at Crotched would be their lack of water capacity to expand snowmaking to more areas. I'll explain more in my trip report from today.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Speaking as someone who does a lot of skiing all over NH, the #1 limiting factor is location. The time it takes to get to Crotched from the Manchester area, I could be on the mountain at Ragged, Gunstock, or Waterville, pulling into the lot at Loon, and almost to Cannon.

I'm not going to deny that the road there sucks. I think it seems longer than it really is though. I wasn't paying attention on the way there this morning, but I did time on it on my way home. It took me 45 minutes to get from the parking lot to the 101 highway start in Bedford. This was pretty slow traveling as well as I got stuck behind some old lady barely traveling the speed limit all the way from Francestown Center to just outside of Manchester. If there were a couple of passing lanes along the way it would make a big difference. Doubt we'll ever see that kind of road expansion though.

Newpylong

People get attracted to crotched because of its location, it's closer to boston and nasty add Massachusetts. Lol

Location is issue but very few people in MA know where or what Crotched Mountain is. Their draw is local and New Hampshire, plain and simple.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Location is issue but very few people in MA know where or what Crotched Mountain is. Their draw is local and New Hampshire, plain and simple.

What about Central Mass? They're competing with Wachusett and Nashoba for sure.

And I'd be interested to hear, generally, if they are getting a good ROI on Crotched. I remember when they came in and did all that work that some thought they were nuts. I remember the first time I saw them at the Boston Ski Show their marketing folks were pretty mum. The next year it all changed...and they've done a great job.

thetrailboss

Staff member
It would appear that a major limiting factor for expansion at Crotched would be their lack of water capacity to expand snowmaking to more areas. I'll explain more in my trip report from today.

Really? I thought that they had adequate snowmaking infrastructure, water included.

SIKSKIER

Some of my first "big" mt skiing when I was still in the single digits.Skied Onset the first few years it was open with its unique bubble chair.This is now the new Crotched.I remember being freaked out my first time at Onset while waiting in the line for the bubble chair.Some guy falls off the chair after loading but gets hung up by one boot/ski and was hanging upside down for 1/2 hour by one leg.

Quietman

I raced in high school on the east side trails and they were fun to ski. Blitz with its drop offs and other narrow winding trails like Dipsy.

But, the vertical drop on the chair was only 600'+/- and the current business levels don't support expansion.

I just hope that enough snow falls to get the glades open this year!

canobie#1

^So I guess pat's peak cascade basin expansion doesn't count?

Is crotched east really that small?