• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Good Backpacking in Southern VT.

gustmouse

Hello,
I’m looking for a good overnighter or two night backpack in Southern Vermont.
I like views, who doesn’t, I also like to camp off the trail, I know the routine a couple of hundred feet from a trail or water.
Really not into tent platforms or designated camping sites. But will do it if it’s the only way. Also need water since I like to drink it.
I’ve done long dry trails and in a couple of words “They bite” I never have backpacked in Vermont, mostly New Hampshire and...
I plan on going Memorial Day weekend. I live in Central CT, I know it “sucks”, but hey! I don’t want to spend all weekend on the road burning $3 a gallon gas, so I figured S Vermont might be fun and only a couple of hours away. So let me know of a good hike, a loop is most ideal, but any good backpack is good. But nothing to far north. If I have to travel too far, I might as well go to the Whites!

Thanks

knuckledragger

Sounds like you want to go to Stratton Pond/ Lye Brook area. Plenty of restrictions around Stratton Pond but head North into Lye brook wilderness. wilderness regs pervail. oportunity for a couple of loops back out. I' d personally head out over Stratton Mtn. myself.

gustmouse

Sounds good, I'm waiting for some maps I ordered. When I receive them, I'll definitely look at that area. I really like the pemi in the whites, plenty of loops and wilderness type backpacking.

Thanks

kingdom-tele

look for goddard shelter on the long trail, or maybe its goddard mtn too, been a few years since i was there, either way its north up the long trail off rt 9 in vt, you can loop from the parking lot to the shelter and back to the lot, if memory serves correct, and it probably won't it was a solid half day hike to get into, had some time to head to the summit tower nearby and enjoy the views south to mt greylock

Mike P.

The Stratton Loop is one of the best loops in Southern VT. If you were able to spot cars or don't mind going out the same way you went in, then Glastonbury (I don't really think it's spelled like the town in CT) or the area around Baker Peak are good choices too.

I've heard good things about the Wapack & Mid-State trail in MA too. Actually Memorial Day I am Pemi Bound.

gustmouse

Thanks guys
Looks like I have some options now on a backpacking in southern VT
I did download a map of the southern GMNF and looked at the areas.
I'm still waiting on a more detailed trail map to arrive and will make a final pick when I review that map. I just ordered a MSR rocket stove too add to my backpacking gear.
So I give it a try in the Greens in a few weeks! I hope to hike the pemi over the fourth
It a nice long weekend this year and it been a couple of years since I've hiked that area.