• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Gore Mountain - getting around

urungus

I will be heading to Gore Mountain for the first time this week. What are the “signature” trails that shouldn’t be missed? (Probably won’t be hitting any glades.) Also I took a look at the trail map and it looks pretty spread out, with lengthy traverses between the three peaks. Appreciate your suggestions on the best way (least amount of skating over flat traverses) to get from Gore Mountain to Burnt Ridge to Little Gore Mountain, and then back again. And also the best way to get from the top of the gondola to the top of Gore Mountain.

Warp Daddy

Gore is great . Lies , Rumor , Hawkeye , Chatiemac ,uUncas , Top Ridge, Twister Sagamore all not to be missed .

Gondi to Pine Knot directly to Slidebrook lift to the top of Gore . Anything off the top to high peaks lift are fun and can get you out of the windif its an issue Great cruisers Twister , showcase . Sagamore is fun go direct to BR Quad or hook in thru Twister n twisters lil sister .

its neat place but if you are going from to top of Gore to the base u will hit the flats so so it once . Stay up top or ski the lifts off Uncas or the Gondi which is the top of Bear Mtn .

on a crowded day ride the gondi then disburse into one of the other pods i like trails off Top Ridge quad and High peaks quad and the trails off the Gondi Once off. Th egondi any other pod will be ski on no wait ( wven on busy days . )

hey even the North side pod is fun in a windy situation its sheltered

have fun

Kleetus

Its a shame you wont be skiing glades, as that is the best of Gore's terrain. If you change your mind though and they are open ski:

Burnt Ridge Chair:
Barkeater
Abenaki
Boreas
Tahawus

High Peaks:
Dark Side

Straightbrook:
Straightbrook
Chatemiac
Double Barrell

If not skiing glades, best trails in my opinion are:

Lies
Upper Darby
Chateimac
Hawkeye(maybe)
Rumor(if its not a block of bolietplate)
Showcase
Sagamore
Lower Steilhang
Hullabaloo
Topridge
Echo (if its not closed for racing)
Quicksilver

Sent from my SM-G892A using AlpineZone mobile app

urungus

Thanks for the suggestions, looking forward to checking this place out ... looks like North Creek / Little Gore will be closed, so don’t need to worry about how to get over there.

mikec142

Gore skied great yesterday. Straightbrook Glades were awesome, but Chateimac to reach the glades was an icy bumpy mess. Hawkeye was great especially the middle section. Twister and Showcase were perfect for railing GS turns. Burnt Ridge was powdery goodness. Have fun.

Last edited:

legalskier

Imho Gore is the most under-rated area in the NE. What I like to do is take the gondi, then head down to the Top Ridge pod for some warm-up runs. Then head to the Straight Brook pod, starting with single diamond trails- you can scope out Rumor from below as you return to the SB Quad to see if it's open & the conditions. Then do the SB double blacks. From there I head to the High Peaks pod- lots of nice trails there. Usually it's lunchtime by then, so we stop at the mid-mountain Saddle Lodge for a bite. Then we bypass the North Side pod and its long, flat trails, instead ripping down Twister to the Burnt Ridge pod. The traverse to BR really isn't that bad. I've never skied the Ski Bowl so can't offer any info there.
Good luck- hope you write a TR about it.

My friend on Rumor-
Rumor.jpg

Killingtime

The traverse to Burnt Ridge is kind of a drag but Gore is a terrific mountain with a little bit of everything. Really bummed it’s not on the new Ikon Pass cause I had a blast there this year using the Max Pass. Will definitely go back next year even if I have to buy lift tickets. Little Gore was closed when I was there. It never felt crowded maybe because it is so spread out. Have fun, it’s a great place.

Harvey

Website
nyskiblog.com
Different opinion: Gore's traverses are awesome. It forces a little earning and keeps certain things fresh a long time.

Unfortunately I am sure the Ski Bowl is done.

Yesterday I was up for a few hours I thought the only trees with enough to ski were on the dark side, maybe Tahawas too.

urungus

Seconded. Dont skip the glades. Gore's glades are IMO the most underrated in the east, and the best in New York.

I’m going with someone who isn’t up for it, but in case I can change their mind, what glade would you recommend with the widest tree spacing and isn’t too steep?

BenedictGomez

I’m going with someone who isn’t up for it, but in case I can change their mind, what glade would you recommend with the widest tree spacing and isn’t too steep?

There's a lot of choices at Gore for glades, and others could better answer this question who are locals, but I'd probably suggest something like Chatterbox Glades in terms of something that's not terribly hard and also offers an "escape" onto an intermediate trail if they feel it's over their head.

Harvey

Website
nyskiblog.com
Tahawas, Otter Slide and maybe Chatterbox.

Tahawas is the best really (best snow usually too) but you will probably hear whining about the hike in. Or drop in from Burnt Ridge for a single run.

KustyTheKlown

you can always say 'hey buddy, i'm gonna ski this glade, meat you at ____ chair in 10 minutes"

don't go to a mostly/fully open gore and skip the trees. the trees are WHY people (at least the kind of people on this forum) bother going to gore at all.