• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Greek Peak Quad issues?

doublediamond

I'm seeing some rumors on the On The Snow app that the new quad may have some issues. For those that don't know, it is supposedly a "higher" speed fixed quad capable of 550 feet per minute (6 minutes to top) yet it only has run around 455 feet per minute (7.25 minutes) to date. They claim they will speed it up, but they're worried about "the learning curve" of the carpet loading which is BS as it's pretty easy.

---

From the On The Snow app:

Reported at 1 days ago > Why hasn't the visions "express" been running?

Reported at 23 hours ago > cable undone from lift rollers and almost on the ground. chairs on that part of cable off to

Reported at 22 hours ago > Which lift did that happen on?

---

And today's snow report shows the quad closed. Anyone know what happened?

Considering this lift like all modern lifts has lifting brackets on the tower heads, if they have to work on the sheaves (the "rollers" that that lay guy wrote), they would lift the cable up. There hasn't been any sag issues. It's a 2.5-inch diameter cable and I've ridden it almost fully loaded, so it can't be that the rope stretched too much and needs a new splice.

All-in-all, this doesn't sound good as it sounds like a derailment. Alcemene, the trail under the lift, is listed as open. But as any Greek Peak skier knows, they are very bad at updating their online reports.

Last edited:

Cornhead

Great, we waited all these years for a new lift, and troubles. I've heard various stories about the speed the lift will run. I've heard that it's being broken in, and will run faster after the break in period. I've also heard that it will run no faster than chair 1. I think the problem with recent stoppages, not the most recent apparent catastrophic failure, has to do with the unloading ramp. It's too short and steep, and requires an immediate turn either right, or left. I mean, who would have trouble loading a conveyor lift? You'd have to be a complete klutz, or an online forum owner! ;) WKBWC

Well, I'm headed to GP tomorrow, curious to see what's up. Lots of GP regulars over on HR, have to see what the beta is there.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

doublediamond

I mean, who would have trouble loading a conveyor lift? You'd have to be a complete klutz, or an online forum owner! ;) WKBWC

I've certainly witnessed people completely oblivious and not paying attention who don't proceed when the gate opens, and then do so like a second late panicking they'll miss their friends. So the chair comes and strikes them at a 45º angle and the lifties do an E-stop before that happens.

But probably 95% of the slowdowns are for sit-skiers or those who fall on the ramp.

I was planning on heading up tomorrow night or Saturday. I guess if the front is a mess, I'll just lap Chairs 4 & 5.