• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Haleakala - Maui

gmcunni

Since it is my only ride of the season i figured i'd post it.

15 miles of downhill, no peddling!!! woohoo, my kind of ride.

IMG_4267.jpg

I'll be honest, i was expecting a little more challenge when i first thought about riding down a volcano. A volcano!! images of rugged terrain and jumping over lava flows came to mind.. but not to be. it turned out to be a gentle ride down a mountain road. still lots of fun and the views were incredible.

view from the top of the volcano. NO, we didn't ride in this area.
IMG_4296.jpg

Jake and me before the ride:
IMG_4329.jpg

Getting ready to push off.
IMG_4340.jpg

gmcunni

Here is the topfusion file (zipped). Crankfire wouldn't accept it, probably since they don't have any trails defined in Maui...

Last edited:

bvibert

Staff member
Nice pics! The full face helmets look funny with not other protective gear and the cruiser looking bikes.

2knees

I did that on my honeymoon! Did you have to be up and at the van at 3:00 am like we did? that sucked. and did you eat at that "mexican" food joint at the bottom of the volcano? that was an experience in and of itself.

The creepiest thing i remember is some of the hairpin turns not having guard rails. long way to fall on some of them.....

playoutside

I did this on a trip about 5 years ago. It was fun, definitely not challenging, but coasting for miles like I used to do as a kid. I recall getting up crazy early (3 or 4 AM) to be at the top for the sunrise. Damn was it cold up there, wild to see the terrain reveal itself from absolute darkness.

Also leaving for this trip in the middle of the night was weird since there were these ginormous frogs on the lawn at our resort. They were the size of dinner plates and looked like they weighed 5 lbs. CREEPY

gmcunni

I did that on my honeymoon! Did you have to be up and at the van at 3:00 am like we did? that sucked. and did you eat at that "mexican" food joint at the bottom of the volcano? that was an experience in and of itself.

The creepiest thing i remember is some of the hairpin turns not having guard rails. long way to fall on some of them.....

we skipped the sunrise tour. no freakin way i was getting up @ 2:30 AM