• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Have you ever hit a deer?

madriverjack

I was driving to work this morning around 3:30 and hit a deer(first time). The deer just bolted off into the woods and did little damage to my truck(only going 35mph). How many of you have hit a deer?

dmc

I hit a moose on the way to Tucks a few years ago..
Destroyed my Subaru.. No injuries... Lucky.. thing was GIANT!

madriverjack

I know I was lucky and the deer took off. But what do you do if the animal is lying on the side of the road suffering? Do you call the police or animal control and have it put down?

ctenidae

Maybe I'm unlucky- I've hit 3 deer, a sheep, and I don't know how many possum/raccoons/foxes. Worst thing to hit, and I destroyed the front grill of an Olds Delta 88 with one, is an armadillo.

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
Driving north from Newburgh NY somewhere at night and a whole herd of deer came out of a field. Missed one but another hit my rear fender and went down. I stopped to find it but it must have gotten up and bolted.

ScottySkis

Driving north from Newburgh NY somewhere at night and a whole herd of deer came out of a field. Missed one but another hit my rear fender and went down. I stopped to find it but it must have gotten up and bolted.

Glad you got out of the Burgh. See any NYC police?

Hawkshot99

I know I was lucky and the deer took off. But what do you do if the animal is lying on the side of the road suffering? Do you call the police or animal control and have it put down?

I was riding in a truck with a friend years ago. A deer shot out of the woods and got the back end clipped breaking its rear legs. The dear dragged itself off into the woods. My friends got out of the truck and grabbed his big knife. He said "A redneck has to do, what a redneck has to do." He went off into the woods and finished the dear off so it didnt suffer, but said the meat was to bruised to keep.

JDMRoma

Yes hit one Deer, Brand New Car with under 500 miles on it.
I was in a line of traffic and it ran out in front of me, Hit it and up and over the car.
6K worth of damage to the front end and roof of the car, My 4 year old slept through the entire thing.
No injuries other than the Deer, I killed Bambi !

darent

hit a deer driving home , jumped out of some pine trees next to the road and damaged my headlight and hood. had a VW so it was cheap to fix myself

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Yes in CT my dad hit one when we were coming home from a trip to Germany on the Merrit Parkway in CT. I was like 12 years old.

My wife hit one on an off ramp on 495 in Marlboro MA about six years ago also.

Bene288

I've hit 3. 1 got away. It's the worst feeling seeing the thing suffer. The last one I hit I had to snap it's neck since I only had 1.5" knife. I never want to have to do that again.

mlctvt

I've been lucky so far no deer hits, lots of close calls though.
Almost everyone around here has hit at least one. One of the guys who work for me called one morning and said he'd be in late. A guy just in front of him on the way to work hit a huge buck so he stopped to help. The deer was dead so he threw the deer into the bed of his pickup and took it home to butcher. Only one rear quarter was damaged so he did get a lot of meat out of it. For years I kidded him about this calling him roadkill scavenger, asking him if he found anything else on the road to work that day, do you keep skunks too etc,