• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Haystack Mountain, VT, 11/05/06

threecy

Website
www.franklinsites.com
Haystack Mountain, VT

Date Hiked: 11/05/06

Trails(s) Hiked: Haystack Mountain Trail

Total Distance: ~5 miles

Difficulty: Easy/Moderate

Conditions: Partly sunny, 2-3" of snow at the summit,

Special Required Equipment: None

I started this hike relatively late in the day considering the time of the year (because I was busy watching the Three Stooges that morning). Though the trailhead was bare, there was snow at probably 2,500' in elevation and 2-3" on the summit of Haystack Mountain. The trail is easy to follow if you look for the blue markers and the occasional "top" arrow, however I missed one when going around a blowdown near the summit - the footprints in the snow eventually disappeared and I turned around a few hundred feet later after hitting some big mud pits.

The view from the summit was good, but not as good as nearby Mt. Snow.

haystacksummit-2006-1105a.jpg

Looking northeast over Haystack Pond

threecy

Website
www.franklinsites.com
I haven't been by the ski area in a few months, but last I knew they're moving ahead...when they get aggressive in their plans, they'll be relocating lifts and potentially installing a chondola.