• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Heartiage club looking for employss

snoseek

Taking rich peoples money is going to make things worse, they'll hide it or stop spending it . Either action doesn't help overall , too much cash chasing to few assets is not good. Stop paying people to stay home the jobs are out there.

The ski bums will have to share couches ....Just wondering what happens to menu prices when servers get paid $40.00 hr ? I just had a conversation with a restaurant owner friend a few days ago . He was complaining his chicken cost had tripled ... he pointed to his menu prices on the wall ,he has some decisions to make .
No restaurant is going to pay a server 40 an hour in my lifetime. Some can make that in tips. The entire industry as we know it shouldnt really exist the way it does. The margins are too thin because its a shocker when someone has to pay 18 dollars for a burger or 30 for a nice steak. you're buddy needs to up his prices along with the rest of the industry. its coming IMO and its long overdue. I hope to god its the applebeas and chilis that die but I suspect the mom and pops will take the hit.

But yeah chicken, beef, pork and random shit like fry oil is insane at the moment.

JimG.

Staff member
Big inflation is coming things are just heating up now. When lumber prices increase 300% since the start of this pandemic it's easy to see why housing prices are soaring. The greedy big business tycoons are just part of the problem. This is what happens when you spend 2 1/2 decades trying to squeeze as much cost out of products as possible. When the inevitable inflection point comes the rebound becomes uncontrollable.

raisingarizona

I don’t eat out unless I’m traveling.

the rich may hide their money but they aren’t paying there share and that’s a bunch of bs. Meanwhile working class folks that are barely getting by see over a third of their checks get taken away for income tax.

Dont even try to tell me that we shouldn’t be pissed off. We are getting f-d.

Either way people are getting squeezed to the brink. Our society is in decline and a full collapse is not so far off.

My kid just turned 14, it’s hard to fake hope for their generation. I feel bad for em.

Last edited:

raisingarizona

Taking rich peoples money is going to make things worse, they'll hide it or stop spending it . Either action doesn't help overall , too much cash chasing to few assets is not good. Stop paying people to stay home the jobs are out there.

The ski bums will have to share couches ....Just wondering what happens to menu prices when servers get paid $40.00 hr ? I just had a conversation with a restaurant owner friend a few days ago . He was complaining his chicken cost had tripled ... he pointed to his menu prices on the wall ,he has some decisions to make .
I doubt it’s servers being offered 40 an hour, most likely back of the house positions. But this is in Jackson where nothing is “normal”.

The ski bums can’t even get into anything where they could share couches. Monthly rentals are in the 15k plus territory. It’s that insane right now. I imagine that’s going to level out a little soon enough but it was really bad before covid so it’s not going to get that much better.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I agree but at what point do people say I really don't have to eat out . They're being squeezed as well ....vicious circle .
Inflation is coming yes ,hopefully it doesn't kill snowmaking efforts .

I think people probably should eat out considerably less, expect to pay more and the workers in the industry be treated and compensated more professionally.

In 2019 the average American spent 44% of their food dollars on eating out or takeout.

In 1985 that figure was 40%

In 1972 it was 33.6%

I'm sure if you go back further those percentages drop in further.

Having someone else cook and serve you should be considered a treat. A luxury really.

I bet if you were also to track food service wages to inflation, the workers today make considerably less than times of the past. The derogatory term "burger flipper" is a modern construct. We as a society have completely devalued the profession and experience.

Smellytele

I bet if you were also to track food service wages to inflation, the workers today make considerably less than times of the past.
Back end I agree but servers (and others who get tips) really get paid off the price of the food. They rely on customers and the price of the meals while the percentages (seem to) have gone up since 1972.

dblskifanatic

Funny the solution is always more taxes - everyone pays for that in the end in the form of inflation which impacts low income folks the most. Snug Harbor in MA there are several housing projects - drive through there! We did yesterday exploring the coastline. That is all I am saying.

raisingarizona

Yeah, no easy answers for any of this.

it does seem like the traditional, working man ski bum is dead unfortunately. That makes me a little sad but luckily I’m older now and already lived it.

Domeskier

the rich may hide their money but they aren’t paying there share and that’s a bunch of bs. Meanwhile working class folks that are barely getting by see over a third of their checks get taken away for income tax.

This is not true. The top 10% of earners pay 71% of all taxes. In fact, a recent study by the Congressional Budget Office on the effects of taxes and federal benefits on income show that, when you factor in social security and means-tested transfers, the bottom 60% of tax payers actually see their household incomes increased by anywhere from 10% to 126% after taxes and benefits. https://taxfoundation.org/biden-fiscal-policy/

This is not to say that income inequality is not a problem or that the bottom 60% of tax payers are not worse off today than they were 20 or 30 years ago. But this is not the result of their tax burdens. If anything, Federal tax policy mitigates these issues. The real problem is that the rich have successfully convinced a large percentage of the working poor that higher taxes are bad for them, so they vote against their own self-interest to protect the wealth of the top 1%.

FBGM

^ That doesn't apply in many jobs. What is the hourly pay to operate a 6 million dollar detachable? What was the pay for Gemini astronauts to orbit the earth in a 2.25 billion dollar rocket program? That said, I'd be shocked if a groomer with experience makes anything close to $15/hr, but I'll bet it's less than you'd make driving a D6 Dozer on a construction project.
Hi. I’ve done both ends of this spectrum.

2015 was my last year in ski area operations. A new, entry level groomer with no experience was at $12-$13. I’d assume that’s been bumped now to about $15. At the time out of my 27 groomers the highest paid was $23.

For the past years since I left ski crap, I’ve been in let’s call it “construction/equipment” business. Decent dozer or excavator operator is around $24 right now. Foreman $30ish.

FBGM

Also, technology is not that far off or possibly there to automate lifts and grooming. It’s already done for snowmaking. Full auto snowmaking can be ran with few employees. 80% less then a big air water ground gun system. Initial investment is high. Figure out the ROI and see if it’s worth it.

Yellow iron has automation already for grade control. You can dig trench in a hoe and not be very good. Data uploaded to machine tells boom and bucket where to stop and dig. Just need a monkey in it moving the sticks.

Grooming could go the same. But will be costly. Not saying all machines but all your flat and wide trails could some day just have automated machines on them. Will only need a real operator in a cat for mazes, clean up work, special projects, steeps. Technology is close to there. Real question is who’s the first manufacture and resort to try?

Smellytele

Also, technology is not that far off or possibly there to automate lifts and grooming. It’s already done for snowmaking. Full auto snowmaking can be ran with few employees. 80% less then a big air water ground gun system. Initial investment is high. Figure out the ROI and see if it’s worth it.

Yellow iron has automation already for grade control. You can dig trench in a hoe and not be very good. Data uploaded to machine tells boom and bucket where to stop and dig. Just need a monkey in it moving the sticks.

Grooming could go the same. But will be costly. Not saying all machines but all your flat and wide trails could some day just have automated machines on them. Will only need a real operator in a cat for mazes, clean up work, special projects, steeps. Technology is close to there. Real question is who’s the first manufacture and resort to try?
I know Prinoth has gps and use it to actually set the groomers off the ground by it so it auto adjusts to depth of the snow compared to where the ground is. Not sure how well it works but...

raisingarizona

This is not true. The top 10% of earners pay 71% of all taxes. In fact, a recent study by the Congressional Budget Office on the effects of taxes and federal benefits on income show that, when you factor in social security and means-tested transfers, the bottom 60% of tax payers actually see their household incomes increased by anywhere from 10% to 126% after taxes and benefits. https://taxfoundation.org/biden-fiscal-policy/

This is not to say that income inequality is not a problem or that the bottom 60% of tax payers are not worse off today than they were 20 or 30 years ago. But this is not the result of their tax burdens. If anything, Federal tax policy mitigates these issues. The real problem is that the rich have successfully convinced a large percentage of the working poor that higher taxes are bad for them, so they vote against their own self-interest to protect the wealth of the top 1%.
So someone that earns 5+ mill a year dishes out over a third of their income to the tax man? Doubt that.

my point is that while most tax money may come from the wealthy they don’t pay an equal share as working people. They get the breaks while people living check to check get squeezed. That’s not right and people are fed up.

Last edited:

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com

drjeff

So someone that earns 5+ mill a year dishes out over a third of their income to the tax man? Doubt that.
Someone making 5 million a year likely is making that income from multiple sources and not just wages/salary.

Blame those that created the tax code in the first place, not those who legally use it

raisingarizona

Someone making 5 million a year likely is making that income from multiple sources and not just wages/salary.

Blame those that created the tax code in the first place, not those who legally use it
I’m not blaming anyone. I’m just saying that it’s not right and they can afford to dish out the same percentage.

That shit needs to change but this two party system is broke and works for them, not the regular folks.

it’s going to bite us all in the ass soon enough. This country is already on the decline and it’s going to get much worse before anything actually gets better.

FBGM

I know Prinoth has gps and use it to actually set the groomers off the ground by it so it auto adjusts to depth of the snow compared to where the ground is. Not sure how well it works but...
PB has snowstat as well. That was just coming into play when I was headed out. I remember seeing beta of that in Germany at PB along with their electric shit and tier 4. Fuck. They was the days of tier 4 in Europe before stated knew anything. Now look at us. Robot grooming here we come. Need to get beta on this

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Hi. I’ve done both ends of this spectrum.

2015 was my last year in ski area operations. A new, entry level groomer with no experience was at $12-$13. I’d assume that’s been bumped now to about $15. At the time out of my 27 groomers the highest paid was $23.

For the past years since I left ski crap, I’ve been in let’s call it “construction/equipment” business. Decent dozer or excavator operator is around $24 right now. Foreman $30ish.

So to summarize...ski industry pays like crap and you can apply your skills outside of the ski industry and make more money.

This is earth-shattering news people. Where's CNN?

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Maybe we should backtrack to defining the problem- ski areas pay like crap and employees have to pay an arm and a leg to live near the mountain. These issues aren't solved by mountains paying better or by mountain communities putting up low-income housing. If a 1,000 room apartment complex was built in Aspen in the center of town with people paying $2,000 a month for a studio and it'd sell out within minutes of being available online.

There is no good solution. Rich and poor want to live within 20 minutes of world-class ski centers. And these are historically rural areas where it's hard to build due to topography or local regulations. I have no idea how you solve it but shitting on the 1%'ers that have pushed out locals and complaining about a lack of affordable housing is stupid when no mountain (to my knowledge) has solved these issues. And you know what...if Teton Village took away it's land restrictions and there were a dozen multi-story apartment complexes at the base of Jackson Hole people would be furious. And it'd probably have no real impact on cost of living.