• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Help Choosing New Skis

bushpilot

Looking for a new pair of skis. Over the last few years I have used:

Cham 107s - absolutely loved these and seriously considering finding a new pair.

Atomic Theory 90s these were a little more responsive and quicker imo

Line Prophet 90s - heavy and slow yo respond. Started the season on these and after a few days went back to the chams. Broke on of them on one of the last days of the season and rode the lines until the end.

Nordica Dead Money 90s - these arenas on groomers and packed powder but the aren’t great in the deep powder.

Looking for an all mountain ski that can handle the trees, bumps, groomers and powder equally well. Bonus points for twin tips. Is 100 at the waist enough or should I go for something wider?

I have always picked up a pair at the ski swap for under 100 bucks. Willing to spend a bit for a good pair but want to make sure I choose wisely. Should I go to a demo shop with this info and take what they give me?

Jully

Any good ski rep at a shop will absolutely have some good insight, but the overwhelming response from anyone you ask will be to demo skis first.

As for twin tips, the Armada ARV 96 is an awesome ski. That fits all your criteria quite well. It has a nice price point too.

IMO, unless you're shipping out west you don't need anything wider than the ARV 96 unless you really care about performance in powder (and will sacrifice performance everywhere else).

JDMRoma

Nordica Soul Riders, Twin tip 97 underfoot. Rocker/Camber/Rocker fun playful ski

bushpilot

Any good ski rep at a shop will absolutely have some good insight, but the overwhelming response from anyone you ask will be to demo skis first.

As for twin tips, the Armada ARV 96 is an awesome ski. That fits all your criteria quite well. It has a nice price point too.

IMO, unless you're shipping out west you don't need anything wider than the ARV 96 unless you really care about performance in powder (and will sacrifice performance everywhere else).

I am out west and hoping to be hitting a lot of the ikon resorts next year for even more powder.

pauldotcom

4FRNT has some pretty good twin tip skis as does J skis (he owns both). They both offer a full money back option after using the ski 3 times - even with holes.

If you don't like them, send them back, full refund. I've been super tempted, but I wanted to transition to having tips in the back rather than staying with twins as most of their skis are twin.

dlague

I find that a ski preference is some what of and individual taste. If you can demo a variety of skis you might be able to dial into some that suits you.

Sent from my SM-G930V using AlpineZone mobile app

bushpilot

Demoed a pair of Atomic Backland 109s for two days at Mt Bachelor this weekend during a 56 inch dump. The skis were great and felt really springy. Small bumps on run outs gave you a few inches of air without even trying. Thinking about picking up a pair of these if I can find the right price.