• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Help me design next skis

mishka

I'm in the process to make design of my next pair of ski. Going from what's available or what's on sale or what everybody else talking about to full custom where anything is this possible is overwhelming sometimes.

What do you guys think about skis in mid 80's underfoot for every day ski except ice and powder over 6". Of course at least decent in bumps. What I'm interested in terms of dimension, shape, flex pattern, tip/tail shape and length

deadheadskier

Staff member
Out of curiosity, what company are you working with? Skilogik? I know there are several others. I think it would be really cool to design my own skis, I just don't trust my engineering skills over the pros. :lol: I'd be pissed if I dropped big coin on designing my own custom skis and they ended up sucking.

Cannonball

If I remember your previous posts correctly, you have all the tools and are able to make these yourself. Have you ever built a pair? Or would this be your first? What materials are you thinking?

mishka

Out of curiosity, what company are you working with?
No company....... I am the builder.:-o

I think it would be really cool to design my own skis, I just don't trust my engineering skills over the pros. :lol: I'd be pissed if I dropped big coin on designing my own custom skis and they ended up sucking.
Is it really cool also is overwhelming for now. Don't worry. If first don't work out I'll make another one better.

We can design skis I will build them. We test them make adjustments and built again. With good design it's quicker to make another pair. For example stiffer or softer or add carbon fiber. Because several steps can be skipped don't need new mold don't need new templates.

mishka

If I remember your previous posts correctly, you have all the tools and are able to make these yourself. Have you ever built a pair? Or would this be your first? What materials are you thinking?
yes I have all tools. No not yet. Yes this is the first one. All the same material you would expect to see in custom skis. 3x fiberglass, wood core, sidewall, vibration dampening system, centered basis.

Cannonball

I think it's a very cool idea and will be a fun process. But here's how I see it: There are so many great mass production skis out right now that perform so well and are relatively inexpensive. So a custom/homemade ski most likely will a) not perform as well, b) end up being more expensive overall. That leaves your with aesthetics and the pride of making your own ski. So I wouldn't get too hung up on dimensions, I'd just steal the dimensions from a top-performing ski (ex: Prophet 90's). Maybe tweak things a little bit to customize them just the sake of making them "custom". Then focus on materials and designs that mean something to you personally.

I'm making some furniture right now. I know it's going to end up taking me a long-ass time, some aspects of it won't be as perfect as a professionally built piece, and it's going to cost me just as much if not more. But I'm using cedar from my own yard and other elements that make it unique and personal. So it's worth it.

Puck it

I would say come up with an innovation. Be it, a tweak the the rocker idea or the sidecut. This would be the fun part.

Experimentation. This is what I would do if I had the equipment.

deadheadskier

Staff member
yes I have all tools. No not yet. Yes this is the first one. All the same material you would expect to see in custom skis. 3x fiberglass, wood core, sidewall, vibration dampening system, centered basis.

What specific tools does one need to make skis? I honestly haven't a clue. Did you purchase the tools for the express purpose of building skis or are they cross utilized for other purposes?

If there's a skill that I really wish I had it's carpentry/engineering skills. My brother is a master carpenter and builds amazing things. Me? I feel like I accomplished something if I hang a curtain rod straight. :lol:

Puck it

What specific tools does one need to make skis? I honestly haven't a clue. Did you purchase the tools for the express purpose of building skis or are they cross utilized for other purposes?

If there's a skill that I really wish I had it's carpentry/engineering skills. My brother is a master carpenter and builds amazing things. Me? I feel like I accomplished something if I hang a curtain rod straight. :lol:

And make an awesome Foie Gros!!!!!

mishka

I think it's a very cool idea and will be a fun process. But here's how I see it: There are so many great mass production skis out right now that perform so well and are relatively inexpensive. So a custom/homemade ski most likely will a) not perform as well, b) end up being more expensive overall. That leaves your with aesthetics and the pride of making your own ski..
a)disagree... can't prove it for now b) actual cost to make mass production skis between $50--$100. Custom or homemade better name would be handmade is not about make it cheaper.

I'm making some furniture right now. I know it's going to end up taking me a long-ass time, some aspects of it won't be as perfect as a professionally built piece, and it's going to cost me just as much if not more. But I'm using cedar from my own yard and other elements that make it unique and personal. So it's worth it.
YES IT WORSE IT

I'd just steal the dimensions from a top-performing ski (ex: Prophet 90's).
if take this model as a base what would you tweak?

mishka

I would say come up with an innovation. Be it, a tweak the the rocker idea or the sidecut. This would be the fun part.

Experimentation. This is what I would do if I had the equipment.

don't know about innovation.
Experimentation is another story, take time. Here we working on the first experiment. I have equipment.... what you have in mind?

mishka

I purchased tools specifically for this project. Most of it carpentry and woodworking tools like routers, tablesaw, bandsaws, jigsaw, belt sanders. Also I build specific to ski building equipment like press, wood core profiler. to make life easier in the future I picked up Montana base Sander/grinder

mishka

Overall LengthRunning LengthNose LengthTail LengthNose WidthTail WidthWaist WidthSidecut RadiusSidecut BiasNose HeightTail HeightCamber
1790143025011012211387.317m051238

86_zpsa927b46c.png

this what I have so far

Cannonball

Overall LengthRunning LengthNose LengthTail LengthNose WidthTail WidthWaist WidthSidecut RadiusSidecut BiasNose HeightTail HeightCamber
1790143025011012211387.317m051238

86_zpsa927b46c.png

this what I have so far

Cool. Shape/size wise that is pretty close to an Armada El Rey. Haven't skied those and don't know much about them, but I guess I'd suggest reading some reviews about how people like that design and/or what they'd change.

El Rey: 178cm 123/87/113 mm, turn radius 19m,
Flex Pattern - Tip: 7 Waist: 8 Tail: 7.5

mishka

Cool. Shape/size wise that is pretty close to an Armada El Rey. Haven't skied those and don't know much about them, but I guess I'd suggest reading some reviews about how people like that design and/or what they'd change.

El Rey: 178cm 123/87/113 mm, turn radius 19m,
Flex Pattern - Tip: 7 Waist: 8 Tail: 7.5

if to compere with Armada designs mine looks similar to Alpha 1

mishka

I thought it would be exciting project together create AZ skis.
I didn't set up the shop to make one pair of skis so it doesn't really matter how well first one come out or second for that matter.

I'm sure everybody have opinion what good New England skis should be

mishka

time to update this thread.

making skis in summer heat ,.............priceless

Fresh out of the press

all cleaned up