• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

HGTV Dream House- Stowe, Vt

Rushski

I'm w/Billski as I was also surprised there is no true dedicated ski storage. The mudroom has all these cabinets that were wway too short for skis. And in the "car barn" it looks like there are some custom boards on the wall but again no true ski storage. Guess it could be easily added, but they didn't think of everyting...

After all these posts I'd probably take the money and get something in the half mill range on a lake in NH, close to decent skiing and pocket the rest.

jrmagic

Taking the cash = much better deal. Then you can buy a cheaper "dream home" in Stowe ;)

That really depends. If you can sell it before 2011 ends you would msot likely do better than the 600K or so they are giving as the cash value. of course if you don;t find a buyer youa re screwed.

Rushski

Going back to the dorm, that's OK for the young but not great for adults. And that shower setup isn't good for anyone unless you're shooting flicks or are of an alternative lifestyle (not that there's anything wrong with that).

Know a couple who bought a house with an open, three shower setup and they refered to it as the rape shower. Long since have redone that area of their house.

BeanoNYC

That really depends. If you can sell it before 2011 ends you would msot likely do better than the 600K or so they are giving as the cash value. of course if you don;t find a buyer youa re screwed.

I would think that the home would go quicker than usual. Someone with the money would probably love to have a "famous" house. "Hey Buffy did you hear that Charles and Elizabeth bought the HGTV Stowe Dream House? Yeah, some poor sap from Long Island named Beano won it. We pay more in taxes than he makes in a year."

KD7000

Nice place, but I see no place to store the quiver!
I noticed that too, when I watched the show. It seems like a really odd thing to be lacking, given the purpose of the house. I wonder if there's a closet hidden somewhere with skis in mind?

There are some cabinets in the mudroom, but they don't look very tall. And they certainly aren't going to hold the long xc skis that any Stowe resident is going to own. :)

I suppose you could punch out the tops of those cabinets/ lockers in the mud room.
http://www.hgtv.com/dream_home/hgtv-dream-home-2011-mudroom-pictures/pictures/index.html

gmcunni

I noticed that too, when I watched the show. It seems like a really odd thing to be lacking, given the purpose of the house. I wonder if there's a closet hidden somewhere with skis in mind?

There are some cabinets in the mudroom, but they don't look very tall. And they certainly aren't going to hold the long xc skis that any Stowe resident is going to own. :)

I suppose you could punch out the tops of those cabinets/ lockers in the mud room.
http://www.hgtv.com/dream_home/hgtv-dream-home-2011-mudroom-pictures/pictures/index.html

or maybe the taller cabinets in the middle open the top and bottom doors to reveal a floor to ceiling space?

drjeff

I'm guessing that the architect/builder as they were designing the house was more than likely figuring that the future owners of this multi-million dollar house would more than likely be paying to store their skis at the mountain, and not at the house. Also, they did mention how the rafters in the garage could be easily used to make an upstairs storage area if the owner desired

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
I'm guessing that the architect/builder as they were designing the house was more than likely figuring that the future owners of this multi-million dollar house would more than likely be paying to store their skis at the mountain, and not at the house. Also, they did mention how the rafters in the garage could be easily used to make an upstairs storage area if the owner desired

365 days/year?
It's kind of funny. I am very good friends with architects who built a ski house. There is no ready accommodation for the skis there either. I think it's genetic, form and feature often triumph over utility.

drjeff

365 days/year?
It's kind of funny. I am very good friends with architects who built a ski house. There is no ready accommodation for the skis there either. I think it's genetic, form and feature often triumph over utility.

If you're buying a 2 million dollar ski house, when your done skiing for the season, you leave your skis with the folks you've been storing them all season long and then buy a new pair that the beginning of the following season for full MSRP, and then pay extra for the mounting! :lol:

gmcunni

or maybe they are catering to the snowboard crowd??

gmcunni

and while were being critical of my future new home, there is no closet space in the bunk room.. where are 8 people supposed to store their cloths/stuff?

djspookman

365 days/year?

As a home designer, we often design first and second homes in Ski country. We always design plenty of storage for winter gear, as it's just plain silly not to. One of of homes in Colorado got a "gear gallery" at the tune of 500SF for the 6 person family. Plenty of space..

As for those rafters in the "car barn" I doubt they're rated for any kind of attic/ loft load, but that's just me looking at the spacing of them and their lack of structure to accommodate the load requirements for said loft.

drjeff

and while were being critical of my future new home, there is no closet space in the bunk room.. where are 8 people supposed to store their cloths/stuff?

With the dorm style bunks and dorm style shower area, not much clothing will be needed! :lol:

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
If you're buying a 2 million dollar ski house, when your done skiing for the season, you leave your skis with the folks you've been storing them all season long and then buy a new pair that the beginning of the following season for full MSRP, and then pay extra for the mounting! :lol:

Yeah. It's just hard to relate to Travolta's lifestyle.. :-?

Glenn

Being an owner of a 2nd home in ski country, even in a facility with an on-site rental department with 240 units, and a nice place with a good rental track record, pretty much the only thing *might* be able to be sure of rental wise is Christmas and PRESIDENT'S DAY WEEKEND!!!!!!!!!!11111. Other than that a place could sit unrented for the balance of the ski season (that's my many an owner who doesn't plan on using their place much will look towards a seasonal renter.

Anyone that has a property in ski country with the hopes of either making more in rental income than it costs them in mortage/taxes/up keep (or atleast trying to break even) is realistically living in a fantasy world

Jeff,
I corrected the above for you. Now when you read it, make sure you point. :lol:

WWF-VT

More details from a prior post:

http://www.vermonttiger.com/content/2010/12/a-taxing-gift.html

"As a public service, Vermonttiger presents the numbers:

1. Vermont Purchase and Use Tax on a $50,000 vehicle at 6% = $3,000

2. Vermont Property Transfer Tax on a $1.5 million house at 1.25% = $18,750

3. Annual Property taxes on a $1.5 million house in Stowe = $24,350

4. U.S. Income Tax on $2.05 million (house + cash + car) at 2011 tax rates

a. assume Bush tax cuts do not expire as per Obama compromise plan = $678,000

b. assume Bush tax cuts expire = $772,000

5. Vermont income taxes = $187,400

The lucky winner of the house will pay about $1 million in taxes in 2011 on their good fortune. With the $500,000 cash that is part of the winning package, the winner will only have to come up with an additional half million bucks. Maybe they can rent out some of those extra beds to help pay the taxes."

gmcunni

contest ended today, winner (me) announced on March 19th.

My wife and i have entered twice a day every day since the contest started. AZ party @ my new house for some late season skiing up north.