• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Higher Ground

rjc1976

I found out that the preview for Warren Miller's Higher Ground is available for those of you interested:

http://www.warrenmiller.com

Looks like Hunter Mountain is in this year's movie. I plan to go watch in October. Anyone else planning on seeing it? Watching the preview is getting me itching for snow!

bvibert

Staff member
Thanks for the links. Unfortunately I couldn't get the second one to load.. :( Maybe I need to update media player... :roll:

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
the lift ticket deals have been scaled back substantially (get one get one free at kmart for the boston show for example instead of a free ticket to kmart, also no free ticket to SR, free mid-week though :evil: ). all the new england shows except the boston show would be after opening day most likely which further adds to the frustration. really not sure if it's worth it with those deals, last year's offerings were much much better. probably gonna skip this one given what the last few WM have been like.

bvibert

Staff member
Brettski said:
Hunter Mountain in A Miller flick....

I'm there

No shows in Jersey and the only one listed in NYC is not even on the venues calendar....

Wouldn't it be ironic if Hunter is featured in a Warren Miller flick, but no one from NYC could see it? ;)

JimG.

Staff member
bvibert said:

Hunter has been in quite a few past WM flicks...but it's always at Hunter One showing beginners flailing around and falling.

I tell ya, we don't get no respect.

hammer

JimG. said:
bvibert said:

Hunter has been in quite a few past WM flicks...but it's always at Hunter One showing beginners flailing around and falling.

There was a clip on Storm showing a bunch of people falling down on what was being called "hard pack granular" (i.e. ice)...was that at Hunter?

JimG.

Staff member
hammer said:
JimG. said:
bvibert said:

There was a clip on Storm showing a bunch of people falling down on what was being called "hard pack granular" (i.e. ice)...was that at Hunter?

Not exactly sure, but every WM film with a beginner flailing/falling down sequence that I've seen was filmed at Hunter.

If I'm not mistaken, the film you refer to also has a segment from Hunter where a large black dog is trying to walk uphill on "frozen granular" and he keeps sliding backwards. Never does get up the hill.

Poor Rocky was an old dog; his owner was a roommate in my past group ski house days. Rocky was arthritic and had a bit of a flatulence problem. It was pitiful to watch him in that flick.

bvibert

Staff member
JimG. said:
If I'm not mistaken, the film you refer to also has a segment from Hunter where a large black dog is trying to walk uphill on "frozen granular" and he keeps sliding backwards. Never does get up the hill.

Poor Rocky was an old dog; his owner was a roommate in my past group ski house days. Rocky was arthritic and had a bit of a flatulence problem. It was pitiful to watch him in that flick.

That was at Hunter? Are you sure the dog never makes it? The scene I'm thinking about the Dog is the only one who figures out that how to get up the incline by going around the shiny stuff... :roll: ;)

dmc

JimG. said:
Not exactly sure, but every WM film with a beginner flailing/falling down sequence that I've seen was filmed at Hunter.

When I used to work in the bus lot at Hunter - the WM people would drive up from NYC for the day and we'd help them setup at the top of the beginner lift to film...

Lots of fun... You concentrate beginners in one are like they do at Hunter and you see some WACKY stuff..
I could write a book about the stuff I've seen beginners do...

I remember this guy who had a nose ring.. And hung his lift ticket on it... Funniest thing I've ever seen... We of course told him he was outta his mind and gave him another ticket to put on...

bvibert

Staff member
I always wondered where WM got all the those clips from the top of a beginners chair...

drewfidelic

After reviewing the DVD, definitely at Hunter. Here are some screen grabs:

storm1.jpg

storm2.jpg

storm3.jpg

storm4.jpg

storm5.jpg

________
Vaporite solo digital vaporizer

Last edited:

rjc1976

bvibert said:
Thanks for the links. Unfortunately I couldn't get the second one to load.. :( Maybe I need to update media player... :roll:

Make sure you're on the latest version of Windows
Media Player.

rjc1976

bvibert said:
Brettski said:

I'm there

No shows in Jersey and the only one listed in NYC is not even on the venues calendar....

Wouldn't it be ironic if Hunter is featured in a Warren Miller flick, but no one from NYC could see it? ;)

It seems that NYC never as any good venues. Last year I wanted to see Impact, but it seemed that I had to get up to Kingston or out by PA to see it. I have heard (though I have not confirmed) that the movie theater in Hunter will be playing Higher Ground one of the weekends in October. It's not listed on the Warren Miller website, but it's another option for NY folks.

thetrailboss

Staff member
dmc said:
JimG. said:

I remember this guy who had a nose ring.. And hung his lift ticket on it... Funniest thing I've ever seen... We of course told him he was outta his mind and gave him another ticket to put on...

That's funny :lol: :lol:

As for Warren Miller coming to Huntah, a step in the right direction. For some odd reason, and this has been subject to another thread in here, WM has avoided or cut out New England all together in the last few films. I like the older WM films where you could count on seeing Kmart, SB, or some other great resort mixed in with the others. I really looked forward to that :(

I recall discussing why this change...beswift said it was because of lighting in the mtns :roll: But we came to the conclusion that the massive fee that WM Entertainment charges venues was the real reason why there is no more New England footage :x :evil:

As for the ticket deals, that is too bad...I miss the free SB tickets. :evil:

BeanoNYC

rjc1976 said:
It seems that NYC never as any good venues. Last year I wanted to see Impact, but it seemed that I had to get up to Kingston or out by PA to see it. I have heard (though I have not confirmed) that the movie theater in Hunter will be playing Higher Ground one of the weekends in October. It's not listed on the Warren Miller website, but it's another option for NY folks.

It's playing in NYC. Upper west side November 20th.

http://www.warrenmiller.com/wmiller/higherground/schedule/east.html#NY