• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Holiday trips? Where is everyone going?

C-Rex

New Years Day at Mt. Snow has been a tradition for me the past few seasons, mostly because it's a club day. I couldn't care less about celebrating so I go to bed early and get there when everyone else is sleeping off a hangover. Other than that, I only go if the conditions are worth dealing with the mass of vacationers.

canobie#1

Working in the industry I have learned to hate x-mas week.

Sent from my SGH-S959G using Tapatalk 2

Yeah you can really get screwed if the early season conditions suck.
I usually go to north Conway or Lincoln for the week. wildcat, black and cranmore. Or cannon, Burke, Waterville and ragged. Depends in conditions.

Smellytele

Yeah you can really get screwed if the early season conditions suck.
I usually go to north Conway or Lincoln for the week. wildcat, black and cranmore. Or cannon, Burke, Waterville and ragged. Depends in conditions.

If in the industry Xmas week does not suck because of conditions but the crowds and the type of people that tend to go that week thinking that it is a good time to try out there new gear.

xwhaler

You'll see me, and about a million other people, right?!

Are you guys projecting Pats to be a mob scene the entire X-Mas vacation week or just the Thurs 26-Jan 1?
I mentioned above I have a voucher and the day off the 24th while also not being able to do a long day trip due to daycare pickup at 3.

Pats seemed to fit the bill pretty nicely given my parameters. Last yr was at Ragged on the 24th and it was very quiet.

4aprice

Are you guys projecting Pats to be a mob scene the entire X-Mas vacation week or just the Thurs 26-Jan 1?
I mentioned above I have a voucher and the day off the 24th while also not being able to do a long day trip due to daycare pickup at 3.

Pats seemed to fit the bill pretty nicely given my parameters. Last yr was at Ragged on the 24th and it was very quiet.

I don't know what others have experienced but the Christmas Eves that I have skied on have never been crowded. Something about last minute shopping for lots. Here's to hoping Pre holiday December is good.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

JDMRoma

Heading out to Steamboat for Christmas…..staying at One Steamboat Place……its gonna suck but someone has to do it :)
They are getting some serious snow right now, 60 inches in October and still snowing now !! Whoohooo Bringing the Powda skis with me this year….didnt have them last year !! Im friggen excited for sure ! Thanksgiving weekend will be at Bretton woods most likely !!

Savemeasammy

To be fair, last season was my first at Pats, and I didn't even get there until the tail end of Xmas break around new year's. It didn't seem all that bad to me. I think the longest line I waited in at Pats was a little under 15 minutes. That was a Saturday after one of the storms.

JDMRoma

I don't know what others have experienced but the Christmas Eves that I have skied on have never been crowded. Something about last minute shopping for lots. Here's to hoping Pre holiday December is good.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Ive skied there on both Christmas eve day and New years eve day and never had any problems…not crowded at all !

dlague

Ive skied there on both Christmas eve day and New years eve day and never had any problems…not crowded at all !

An earlier post asked about it being a Mob scene - I do not think it will be that crazy! It will be busy! Pats has a great local following!

The Eve's are generally pretty quite! Even Christmas Day has been quite. After the 25th it will pick up. Pats Peak gets pretty serious about making snow once they open! Then again, it isn't that big either!

Note: Our mountain operations crew will be installing a high-capacity triple chairlift and unveiling at least four new trails in time for the 2013-2014 season.

BTW - Pats Peak reminds me of the We Ski game for the Wii console! If you never played you should then you will see what i am talking about! :thumbup:

Last edited:

Smellytele

To me it is never that bad. Day after Christmas won't be bad at all. The weekend in-between will be crowded and NYE/day will be fine

ScottySkis

I might louse my vacation time at end of the year if I louse it I thinking of going New years day to Burke or Gore or Platty if we have snow.

tnt

Heading out to Steamboat for Christmas…..staying at One Steamboat Place……its gonna suck but someone has to do it :)
They are getting some serious snow right now, 60 inches in October and still snowing now !! Whoohooo Bringing the Powda skis with me this year….didnt have them last year !! Im friggen excited for sure ! Thanksgiving weekend will be at Bretton woods most likely !!

This makes me jealous. We were trying to swing steamboat this year.

Have fun!

tarponhead

Last year my sons and I are all together for the ski season before I loose them to college. So we are going to Alta and Snowbird. Staying at the Peruvian. $ but screw it. Will be their first trip out west skiing.