• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

How about something different

thebigo

The sad thing is that the protesters are going to inevitably put health care workers at risk. Something they do not need right now.

icecoast1

What does that have to do with the real world regulation of social distancing?

I literally have not been allowed to attend my small church for months now (literally) because my state says it is "unsafe" & illegal to gather & I could be arrested for it, even in that very small number.

But if you want to "gather" in the many thousands in tight groups in giant cities, it's perfectly okay & you wont be arrested. It's total horse**** & should be a case study in logical fallacy.

Your first mistake was trying to apply logic to these people. If we hadn't been through what we have in the past few months, I would say the reaction from some on this from the general population to those in the media in how they're reporting is stunning and down right hypocritical, but after witnessing the country's reaction the past couple of months nothing surprises me anymore

Cornhead

What does that have to do with the real world regulation of social distancing?

Nothing, but frankly I'm more concerned with the federal government trampling over people's first amendment rights for the sake of Trump's phony photo op, than I am your state temporarily denying access to your church. Maybe Trump can send in the national armed forces to "liberate" your church.[emoji849]

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using AlpineZone mobile app

Nothing, but frankly I'm more concerned with the federal government trampling over people's first amendment rights for the sake of Trump's phony photo op, than I am your state temporarily denying access to your church. Maybe Trump can send in the national armed forces to "liberate" your church.[emoji849]

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using AlpineZone mobile app
First amendment for me but not for thee!

Sent from my VS988 using AlpineZone mobile app

BenedictGomez

Nothing, but frankly I'm more concerned with the federal government trampling over people's first amendment rights for the sake of Trump's phony photo op, than I am your state temporarily denying access to your church. Maybe Trump can send in the national armed forces to "liberate" your church.

Well that's pretty ******* up then.

For starters, both rights are sacrosanct to true freedom.

But your interpretation of current reality is about as wrong as is humanly possible.

Metaphysical reality #1) People LITERALLY cannot attend church, even in small numbers.
Metaphysical reality #2) Nobody's being "prevented from protesting", even in massive numbers.

What Trump somehow has to do with this in your mind I have no idea, other than the fact he's clearly mentally broken some people in this country. I'm pretty sure COVID19 doesn't care though.

jimmywilson69

can you guys pick another thread to ruin this was supposed to be "Something Different"

Stop picking whatever thread has traffic and bloating it with your bullshit.

Smellytele

Too funny! Unfortunately all revolves around a few things right now - covid19, George Floyd’s deaths and its aftermath, hating Trump and defending Trump. Everything else does not matter to most people right now.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

BenedictGomez

can you guys pick another thread to ruin this was supposed to be "Something Different"

Agreed. While having your neighborhood terrorized by rioters, fearing bricks being lobbed at your car on your daily drive home, and being legally banned from attending church are all clearly, "something different", they're not in the spirit of the thread.

thebigo

For something positive in a world of George Floyd and Coronavirus, got an email from my kids freestyle coaches yesterday. They are proceeding with setting up slopestyle and bump comps for next year, also attempting a camp at the jump pool in lake placid late summer.

kingslug

After Friday I'm off for a week. Going to build 2 bookcases. Nothing fancy. Have to get good at this before I start buying expensive wood..which has gotten ...expensive..really expensive. The only way to afford the good stuff is to buy it un milled and mill it yourself. Planer and joiner needed...which are expensive..I picked an expensive hobby..to go along with my other expensive hobby called skiing.
Yes its 4AM and I can't sleep. My job has become nuts lately. Dealing with Con Ed is mind boggling.

kingslug

Built a new vice for the bench..3 inches of butcher block..fun to drill through but works great..took 2 days to do it but worth it..

Attachments

• 20200602_184446.jpg
    20200602_184446.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 81

Dickc

Built a new vice for the bench..3 inches of butcher block..fun to drill through but works great..took 2 days to do it but worth it..

Looking at this reminds me that I need a bigger basement! I would love to have that much unfettered room!

BenedictGomez

After Friday I'm off for a week. Going to build 2 bookcases. Nothing fancy. Have to get good at this before I start buying expensive wood..which has gotten ...expensive..really expensive. The only way to afford the good stuff is to buy it un milled and mill it yourself. Planer and joiner needed...which are expensive..I picked an expensive hobby..to go along with my other expensive hobby called skiing.

Planers are very expensive compared to most tools. It seems odd; I speculate it's because the market for them is relatively limited compared to a drill or an impact wrench or a jigsaw, etc...., so they probably have to be expensive. And I dont find many decent used deals on them, though I've been looking.

Jointers, however, for whatever reason seem to come up pretty often on Craigslist & elsewhere for really cheap used prices, IMO. I dont have the room for one though, but when I do I'm going to buy one of the old ones build like a Tiger tank.

MEtoVTSkier

..I picked an expensive hobby..to go along with my other expensive hobby called skiing.

I don't think that there are too many cheap affordable hobbies out there. I've slowly gotten into re-loading ammunition, picking up a few items here and there as I see a sale or good price on items. Starting to think it would have just been cheaper to buy a new boat instead haha. You can dump a pile of money in recreational shooting.

mister moose

Planers are very expensive compared to most tools. It seems odd; I speculate it's because the market for them is relatively limited compared to a drill or an impact wrench or a jigsaw, etc...., so they probably have to be expensive. And I dont find many decent used deals on them, though I've been looking.

Jointers, however, for whatever reason seem to come up pretty often on Craigslist & elsewhere for really cheap used prices, IMO. I dont have the room for one though, but when I do I'm going to buy one of the old ones build like a Tiger tank.
Planers are expensive if you compare them to hand power tools. Compare them to a table saw or bandsaw and and it's the same league. Consider you need 4 corner post bearings, a 10,000 rpm cutterhead that has to be perfectly true to the surface, and a threaded chain driven elevation mechanism that remains true, with pressure rollers that deliver the feed rate. That's a big ask for a couple hundred bucks.

Be advised my inexpensive used joiner deal (8 inch, 600lbs) involved unloading with a skid steer onto a dolly and then a chain fall to hoist the tables and cutter head assembly. Sweet machine though. Flatten something? You got it. 90 degree edge? You got it. Take off a 32nd on almost any surface? You got it.

My latest used machine score - A porter Cable biscuit joiner for $40. That's another nifty tool.