• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

How can I improve my skiing?

ThinkSnow

Puck it

From what I have just read of the standards, it looks to me like a skier with upper intermediate skills could become a Level 1 instructor if he/she has the book knowledge.

If upper immediate, I have seen some ski instructors that are not very good skiers.

hammer

If upper immediate, I have seen some ski instructors that are not very good skiers.
Don't want to get into a PSIA vs. others argument (will leave that for other message boards) but in my struggles to get past the terminal intermediate phase I have not used any techniques I was taught in my beginner lessons...if anything I've been trying to unlearn them. There may be some biomechanical reason to learn snowplow turns as a beginner but I still don't understand why.

I actually think learning and then being an instructor would be a good way to get out on the slopes and get the miles and vertical in. Like the OP, however, I also run into the situations where life gets in the way.

My plan is to get out when I can and hope for the little ah-ha moments that will eventually get me to ski better. Also want to keep in decent shape because it sucks to try to learn something like skiing when your legs are cramped from being weak and you're sucking wind.

MadMadWorld

Don't want to get into a PSIA vs. others argument (will leave that for other message boards) but in my struggles to get past the terminal intermediate phase I have not used any techniques I was taught in my beginner lessons...if anything I've been trying to unlearn them. There may be some biomechanical reason to learn snowplow turns as a beginner but I still don't understand why.

I actually think learning and then being an instructor would be a good way to get out on the slopes and get the miles and vertical in. Like the OP, however, I also run into the situations where life gets in the way.

My plan is to get out when I can and hope for the little ah-ha moments that will eventually get me to ski better. Also want to keep in decent shape because it sucks to try to learn something like skiing when your legs are cramped from being weak and you're sucking wind.

No idea what it costs now to take their instructor training course at Wachusett but I know lots of people just took it to become a better skier with no intention of becoming an instructor. One thing that really clicked after becoming an instructor was the "why" behind everything.

MadMadWorld

From what I have just read of the standards, it looks to me like a skier with upper intermediate skills could become a Level 1 instructor if he/she has the book knowledge.

Level 1 is just a written test and it's very easy to pass. It's a huge revenue stream for PSIA. Level 2 is tough. If you pass level 3 you are a damn good skier/rider.

KevinF

Level 1 is just a written test and it's very easy to pass. It's a huge revenue stream for PSIA. Level 2 is tough. If you pass level 3 you are a damn good skier/rider.

Really? I last instructed back in the mid-90s, but back then, L1 definitely had a skiing component to it. I think the only way to fail was if you ran over the examiner or something, but you did have to click into ski boots.

MadMadWorld

Really? I last instructed back in the mid-90s, but back then, L1 definitely had a skiing component to it. I think the only way to fail was if you ran over the examiner or something, but you did have to click into ski boots.

I should have prefaced my statement with the fact that I did my level 1 in the late 90s. But that is how I remember it.

jack97

IMO, commitment is the key, whether its a ski instructor clinic or just a clinic in general. The real hurdle is convincing the boss to get the free time. My hidden agenda approach is to convince wifey that the kids need to go to ski school to be a well rounded person. One she is convince of that then use that time for lessons or clinics.

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
IMO, commitment is the key, whether its a ski instructor clinic or just a clinic in general. The real hurdle is convincing the boss to get the free time. My hidden agenda approach is to convince wifey that the kids need to go to ski school to be a well rounded person. One she is convince of that then use that time for lessons or clinics.

If that fails....Bribery is your last resort