• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

how much is vermont getting in this dump?

JD

Website
hotmail.com
You like to tour JD, and despise resort skiing. We get it already...

Lol....it's just amazing and worth mentioning due to the fact that I skiied about 5 miles away from Sugarbush both days this w/e. Pardon my excitement for stellar ski conditions. It's like you having some of the best bump sessions of your life, and someone saying...the bumps really sucked today...when are we gonna get some bumps going...blows my mind people would pay for that and never be willing to work for something that is a)free, and b) in their back yard, and c)better then any run they could ever hope to find off a lift....it's about good skiing. I think the quality of BC vs. lift served this last month plus has been even more drastic then at other times....As the snow fall inch by inch, it gets skiied off. In the other world, it just blows in...I should really shut up about it, not becasue I think your sick of it, which you are, but because I might run into some of you on the skin track....but it's like a politaical debate...I used to think people didn't know the truth, but the reality is they don't want to know the truth...because then they would have to question everything...
and I share here because I think your interested...I'll shut up now.

SkiDork

JD - sounds great what you're getting... Unfortunately for us weekend warriors its sorta hard to scope out BC locations like you as a local can. Would be nice though.

JD

Website
hotmail.com
JD - sounds great what you're getting... Unfortunately for us weekend warriors its sorta hard to scope out BC locations like you as a local can. Would be nice though.

If you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right. At the areas we access from there are plenty of white plates. And yes, I have been w/o a job for the last few weeks, but I have worked full time as much as anybody. Our ski trips are about 8 hours door to door. It's the same drive to J, Bush, MRG, Stowe, Bolton. J spin serves it up on a platter in his TRs...Next time you make that drive, look at all the hills you drive past to get there....

JD

Website
hotmail.com
How do you know it's winter in VT?

All the license plates turn white.

Modification of an old Moab Joke....How do you know it's spring time in Moab, all the plates turn green. (colorado has green plates)

Greg

Staff member
Lol....it's just amazing and worth mentioning due to the fact that I skiied about 5 miles away from Sugarbush both days this w/e. Pardon my excitement for stellar ski conditions. It's like you having some of the best bump sessions of your life, and someone saying...the bumps really sucked today...when are we gonna get some bumps going...blows my mind people would pay for that and never be willing to work for something that is a)free, and b) in their back yard, and c)better then any run they could ever hope to find off a lift....it's about good skiing. I think the quality of BC vs. lift served this last month plus has been even more drastic then at other times....As the snow fall inch by inch, it gets skiied off. In the other world, it just blows in...I should really shut up about it, not becasue I think your sick of it, which you are, but because I might run into some of you on the skin track....but it's like a politaical debate...I used to think people didn't know the truth, but the reality is they don't want to know the truth...because then they would have to question everything...
and I share here because I think your interested...I'll shut up now.

Is that one sentence?

...and you like seeded bumps in CT. :)

No, I like to ski good bumps, whether they are seeded or not, and they certainly don't have to be in CT. The difference is I don't insist my terrain preference is any better than someone else's. In fact, I'm learning to appreciate other things like carving a lot more lately, particularly because I've discovered how bad I am at it.

I get the appeal of touring. I'm just not geographically positioned well for it. I've done my fair share of backpacking in the Whites and a little in the ADKs and Greens so I'm certainly not dissuaded by the "up" aspect. I would just have to commit a full day to tour, and only skiing a couple thousand vertical is not worth it to me. When I ski, I like to do a lot of the "down" so lift serviced works for me on a lot of levels. I'm also not insistent on untracked powder, probably because like carving, I suck at it.

The bottom line is for many of us, the lack of consistent resort snow this season is a bummer. For those of you that are positioned to consistently find the type of skiing you like, good on you.

JD

Website
hotmail.com
Is that one sentence?

No, I like to ski good bumps, whether they are seeded or not, and they certainly don't have to be in CT. The difference is I don't insist my terrain preference is any better than someone else's. In fact, I'm learning to appreciate other things like carving a lot more lately, particularly because I've discovered how bad I am at it.

I get the appeal of touring. I'm just not geographically positioned well for it. I've done my fair share of backpacking in the Whites and a little in the ADKs and Greens so I'm certainly not dissuaded by the "up" aspect. I would just have to commit a full day to tour, and only skiing a couple thousand vertical is not worth it to me. When I ski, I like to do a lot of the "down" so lift serviced works for me on a lot of levels. I'm also not insistent on untracked powder, probably because like carving, I suck at it.

The bottom line is for many of us, the lack of consistent resort snow this season is a bummer. For those of you that are positioned to consistently find the type of skiing you like, good on you.

Didn't know you were also the grammar police. You like MTBing. BC skiing is the same. Another conversation we had this w/e....you can't convince people to come BC skiing with promises of great snow, becasue they won't buy it. They have to get sick of the shit show at the resort and decide they want to ski and not deal with that....then when they get into the BC, they realize that they do ski better snow as well....You bump and carve all week night skiing, you make drives to VT...why not make those for untracked powder...you're carving because you suck at it, why not ski untracked powder to enjoy the learning curve as well....the rythem of the descents off a nice skin track is the same as a good MTB loop...you're putting up barriers for yourself as to why you can't....instead of finding ways that you can....works for me....I know one person I won't run into on the skin track...And I promise you won't see me snaking your line on Chute...unless you're at MRG the day before it opens...

Greg

Staff member
Didn't know you were also the grammar police. You like MTBing. BC skiing is the same. Another conversation we had this w/e....you can't convince people to come BC skiing with promises of great snow, becasue they won't buy it. They have to get sick of the shit show at the resort and decide they want to ski and not deal with that....then when they get into the BC, they realize that they do ski better snow as well....You bump and carve all week night skiing, you make drives to VT...why not make those for untracked powder...you're carving because you suck at it, why not ski untracked powder to enjoy the learning curve as well....the rythem of the descents off a nice skin track is the same as a good MTB loop...you're putting up barriers for yourself as to why you can't....instead of finding ways that you can....works for me....I know one person I won't run into on the skin track...And I promise you won't see me snaking your line on Chute...unless you're at MRG the day before it opens...

I get all that, and again I see the appeal of touring. Distance, and other responsibilities like family and work make it tough, but I'm okay with that. I'm sure I could get into it though and yeah, maybe I'm self-imposing a barrier, but I'm okay with that too. Also, not everyone loathes resort skiing. I kinda like the social aspect of it. Yeah, there are some assholes, but I can usually shrug most of that stuff off. Finally, I mountain bike for the same reason I ski a lot of local lift-serviced. It's convenient. The bottom line is I've found approaches that just work for me, and I don't feel in any way cheated, so no need to feel so sorry for me.

jrmagic

I get all that, and again I see the appeal of touring. Distance, and other responsibilities like family and work make it tough, but I'm okay with that. I'm sure I could get into it though and yeah, maybe I'm self-imposing a barrier, but I'm okay with that too. Also, not everyone loathes resort skiing. I kinda like the social aspect of it. Yeah, there are some assholes, but I can usually shrug most of that stuff off. Finally, I mountain bike for the same reason I ski a lot of local lift-serviced. It's convenient. The bottom line is I've found approaches that just work for me, and I don't feel in any way cheated, so no need to feel so sorry for me.

Well said Greg. Same here... I ski with friends and family and my kids. It makes BC tours a little difficult. I ahve done it and enjoy it but with our condo in Southern VT its dissapointing to seethe lack of snow at my home mountain. Others ahve been able to recover nicely because of their smowmaking and grooming. Mine has been almost barren of new snow and snowmaking has been confined to the greens. Its not looking too palatable to be up there for 9 days straight and listening to my 12 y/o complain that there is nothing "good" to ski. I'm not asking for a lot. ^ inches would be fantastic. Would I lvoe to see a foot or more of fresh? Sure I would. I'm happy that all the touring guys and gals are having a blast up north but that doesnt mean that we cant wish for a little more in our neck of the woods.