• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

How much to mount binding?

abc

I'm about to pull the trigger to get some new skis. Thinking I'll get them mounted locally, I called about the turn around time and price. I was told it'll cost me $75 dollar!

The last time I had bindings mounted, I had it done at Stowe (including setting DIN etc). It only cost me something like $30. But that was 4-5 years ago. Did price change that much recently? Or is it because I'm being gauged by the "flat land" shops?

goldsbar

This is sort of like asking people on the Internet what type of gas mileage they get. Epic ski had me believing just about every shop will do it for $20. My reality was much closer to $50. $75 is really high.

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
This is sort of like asking people on the Internet what type of gas mileage they get. Epic ski had me believing just about every shop will do it for $20. My reality was much closer to $50. $75 is really high.

On the other hand internet sales hurt the B&M stores , kinda like taking you bacon and eggs to a diner and asking them to cook them for you. I can see there side . Is that the same price for skis they sell also ?

Hawkshot99

On the other hand internet sales hurt the B&M stores , kinda like taking you bacon and eggs to a diner and asking them to cook them for you. I can see there side . Is that the same price for skis they sell also ?

Exactly. Plus the shop is now taking on all liability of any errors, either on a bad mount or injury.
If someone brings me a internet purchase for mounting, it is $59.95, free if purchased in store.

abc

Also depends, are they a flat ski, or a system? System is real easy. Flat ski, not so much. 75$ is outta line!
Flat ski.

The one that comes with system binding, I did it myself. Move the heel piece to the right slot, forward pressure, DIN. All it took was a screwdriver.

Scruffy

If you purchased the skis and bindings elsewhere, then I'd say, $75 is not out of line is is becoming the norm. If you purchased skis at the shop, the mount should be free or a nominal charge.

abc

At $75 a pop, I'm wondering if I''m better off just buy the binding in the same shop that I buy the skis and have them mount the binding for free! (brick and mortar shop but out of town, so technically buying over the 'net)

I can do the forward pressure and DIN if they're more or less the same process as in system bindings. I can even pay for a "binding check" in most shops which cost a lot less.

JDMRoma

If I buy skis online I try to get the bindings local and usually mount for free. I did that with my Icelantics last year

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Scruffy

At $75 a pop, I'm wondering if I''m better off just buy the binding in the same shop that I buy the skis and have them mount the binding for free! (brick and mortar shop but out of town, so technically buying over the 'net)

I can do the forward pressure and DIN if they're more or less the same process as in system bindings. I can even pay for a "binding check" in most shops which cost a lot less.

Some shops that sell via the "net" will do the mount to your BSL, but with a disclaimer that you need to take them to a shop for final adjustment and binding check.

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com

Your shop has drilling templates for the bindings they sell . It's a matter of lining up and clamping them in place using a hand drill . When you're using a paper template it takes more time and there's a chance of screwing up hole alignment .

hammer

Some shops that sell via the "net" will do the mount to your BSL, but with a disclaimer that you need to take them to a shop for final adjustment and binding check.
Levelnine did that for my skis, binding check cost about $20 at a local shop. Evo did not have that option so we had to have the bindings mounted locally. Cost was $50 but the skis were a lot cheaper online.

abc

Levelnine did that for my skis, binding check cost about $20 at a local shop. Evo did not have that option so we had to have the bindings mounted locally. Cost was $50 but the skis were a lot cheaper online.
Yep, last time it was from Evo. Got the binding mounted and adjusted for $30 at Stowe. The whole deal cost far less than doing it locally.

I recall looking into getting the binding locally and benefit from the mounting service but it turned out even there the saving was still greater doing the whole deal online and paying for the mounting at a more reasonable location.

I would love to support my local shop. But in reality, the cost differential is just too much.