• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

How Will the Fall Hiking Season Go?

How do YOU think the Fall Hiking Season will go?

• Very well. Will let me make up for lost time (spring rain). Beautiful colors too!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It doesn't matter what the weather is, I'll be out there.

• Hiking Boots are hung up. I'm working on the skis.

• You can hike in the fall?

• We talk about hiking in here?

• A wet fall will make the hiking season as bad as it as this spring.

• Total voters

thetrailboss

Staff member
So far, so good. Back to the one/two hikes a week routine that I am used to. TWO Four-thousand footers down as well! Cool nights and mornings. Looking forward to the colors as well!!

For me, I'm looking forward to some more good hikes including some good 4,000 footers and some others in the mix as well. How about for you?

Hoping the weather will hold out...we've had enough rain after this spring. :x :roll:

smitty77

Website
hotmix77.tripod.com
It's going to be great, it always is. It felt like fall Sunday morning - 44 degrees when the dog and I set out for a nice 9 mile stroll through the woods. I actually wore my pants hiking the whole time, and the temp only warmed up to 62 by the time we finished.

Smitty

TenPeaks

Fall is the best time of the year to hike. Cooler temperatures, no bugs, low river crossings, foliage and no mud or ice to deal with like in the spring.

cbcbd

TenPeaks said:
Fall is the best time of the year to hike. Cooler temperatures, no bugs, low river crossings, foliage and no mud or ice to deal with like in the spring.
I agree. The Fall reminds me of some of my best hikes I've had during this time, which makes me want to get out even more.

blacknblue

I guess I'll have to see how my pulled knee ligament heals. :( Pulled it two weeks ago while backpacking while doing the 'make-up hike' from last year when I compressed my patella in the same area. I think I'm cursed. :cry:
I'm hoping for a quick recovery, though, and even to get in one more good-sized hike around October 1.

Treeliner

(first post in the hiking forum)

Any idea when, generally, the best colors are of the season in, say, so. VT or north mass? I'd love to get out and do a nice hike this fall and take some photos, but I don't really have any idea when to do it.

cbcbd

blacknblue said:
I guess I'll have to see how my pulled knee ligament heals. :( Pulled it two weeks ago while backpacking while doing the 'make-up hike' from last year when I compressed my patella in the same area. I think I'm cursed. :cry:
I'm hoping for a quick recovery, though, and even to get in one more good-sized hike around October 1.
:(
Take it easy and hope you recover quickly.

Mike P.

Fall is the stat of hiking season (while I know when the start is I have not found the end of the season yet)

My Plans?

October: Franconia Ridge (good weather) Whiteface Passaconaway bad)
Monadnock
Wachusetts

November: Washington via Lion's Head (Winter warmup)
if bad weather (Cabot)
a 1/4 day hike day before Washington

December: Either Nye & Street or Sawteeth & Gothics, or Colvin & Blake or Dial & Nippletop

Unplanned, some walks on the Airline trail & maybe something else if business sends me near the trails.

MichaelJ

Website
www.saletnik.org
Welcome to the hiking side, Treeliner!

I'll be out there almost every weekend, just like all summer.

Last weekend was Goose Eye, this coming weekend on Franconia Ridge, after that somewhere else, there's a bushwhacking get-together I'm doing ... it just keeps going until I hit the chair lifts!