• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Hunter 1/14/07

kcyanks1

Weather: Overcast and foggy am, misty; showers/drizzle after 2pm; poor to fair visibility
Conditions: Soft but wet, heavy snow; spring-like; secondary surface of frozen granular; thin cover in places but surprisingly good coverage overall.
Crowds: Overall light. There was often a mess of people at the top of the mountain, in part because people would be waiting around and fixing bindings, and in part because all the open trails started from the same place. I.e., if you took the Z chair you had to return to the top of the quad, because Claire's (most of the way down), Westway, and Annapurna were all closed. Since K-27 was closed, you also had to go back to the quad area from the F-chair. The trails themselves weren't bad, especially as I did a good number of runs on Wayout on Hunter West, and a few runs on the F-chair. Those trails were pretty empty. Belt Parkway and perhaps Hellgate had more traffic; Belt Parkway more than desired, but not terrible. Of course, that would be the trail that one would expect to have a crowd if any trail is to have one.

Depressingly only my first day this season, perhaps the latest first day since I first began skiing (though I had that trip to Chile in August, so I really can't complain). I decided yesterday afternoon to go for it today, despite the rain yesterday and rain in the forecast for today. I thought I was an idiot, but I ended up happy.

I probably skied about everything open on the main mountain and Hunter West (only one run there); I didn't go over to Hunter One. It was only my second trip to Hunter, so I don't have too much to compare it to as far as what Hunter is normally like.

Favorite trails of the day was Wayout (to lower Claire's Run) which was the only open trail on Hunter West. Over the course of the day it had a mogul field forming in a couple places -- first, the second hill on it after the first flat part, and then again as it merges with Claire's. The way top had the way beginnings of moguls by my last run on it, probably around 2:30 or 2:45.

Eisenhower Drive had moguls from the beginning. Bigger/deeper and less organized than the ones forming on Wayout. I ended up on it for my second run which didn't go especially well, but I did it a few more times after I had a chance to warm up some and it was a lot more fun :)

To complete the mogul report, Hellgate had some bumps on the first real pitch when you make the left after crossing under the chair. It was a short stretch though and the first couple weren't as soft as those on Wayout and Eisenhower. There might've been small bump stretches in other places, but I can't remember well enough where. One of the trails going down to the F-chair had some if I remember correctly.

As for the thin cover, Belt Parkway had a few thin places. Nothing that would bother any experienced skier (or perhaps most intermediates), but it's probably not a good thing for the only intermediate route and most crowded route from the top to not be in the best of conditions. Huega-Express, I think, had a couple thin stretches including one stretching most of the trial (assuming I'm thinking of the right trial), but again, nothing that would bother most skiers.

All in all, it was a fun day. Conditions weren't fantastic, but there was plenty of (fake) snow, and it was soft, even though it was very wet. Hopefully the rain stopped or turns to snow.

Greg

Staff member
Thanks. I had all but bagged plans for Hunter tomorrow and was gonna just ski the local haunt instead, but your bump reports have me re-thinking it. I'll make a gut-check in the morning.

kcyanks1

Well if you go hopefully I my review was fair and you don't get disappointed and blame me :) Note that when I described a stretch as "short", I did mean that. Eisenhower had a true but awkward mogul field though and Wayout had clear stretches as well. So I'd focus on those two runs.

Greg

Staff member
Well if you go hopefully I my review was fair and you don't get disappointed and blame me :) Note that when I described a stretch as "short", I did mean that. Eisenhower had a true but awkward mogul field though and Wayout had clear stretches as well. So I'd focus on those two runs.

No worries. I know where the bump lines on Hellgate and Minya set up (on the left turns) and I know they're short. Ike normally has nice bumps which is where I'd probably concentrate. Not familiar with where bumps form on Wayout. With that, my decision has been pretty much made to stay local and ski in the rain near home. :-? I can get clicked in shortly after 8 am and so even if I only go to noon, I can get a pretty good day in and still be productive around the house in the afternoon. So unless I see that a miracle happened and Hunter picks up some snow tonight, I'll be Sundown-bound tomorrow.

dmc

Wayout and Eastside were my favorite today... It was a pretty good day until the rain started falling cold arond 2:30..

kcyanks1

No worries. I know where the bump lines on Hellgate and Minya set up (on the left turns) and I know they're short. Ike normally has nice bumps which is where I'd probably concentrate. Not familiar with where bumps form on Wayout. With that, my decision has been pretty much made to stay local and ski in the rain near home. :-? I can get clicked in shortly after 8 am and so even if I only go to noon, I can get a pretty good day in and still be productive around the house in the afternoon. So unless I see that a miracle happened and Hunter picks up some snow tonight, I'll be Sundown-bound tomorrow.

Hellgate bumps were definitely on the left turn as you said. Wayout had the bumps on the two locations as I tried to describe in my first post. It was my favorite for most of the day, though I did enjoy Eisenhower the last couple times I was on it. Enjoy Sundown if you end up there. Hopefully the weather will cooperate. Even though it started raining today around 2pm, I'd say I lucked out based on what I was expecting going in ... I even had an umbrella walking to get the bus to get to Hunter!!

kcyanks1

Wayout and Eastside were my favorite today... It was a pretty good day until the rain started falling cold arond 2:30..

So maybe it was Eastside that had the bumps off the F-lift, and not Minya? I couldn't remember that. I figured someone from AZ might've been there. I thought about posting something in the gatherings, but I didn't actually decide to go until Sat. late afternoon, so I figured it would be tough to arrange something so quickly, especially since I planned to go to sleep early. Hope you had a good day!

krisskis

My 13 yr old son and i were there on friday <i am kingslugs sister in law> and i have to say we had a blast...conditions were nice and soft, not one spot of ice was to be found..a few brown spots were around but nothing that couldnt be avoided. Like DMC said, wayout and eastside were great. Hellgate and Huega were nice and carvable. It was raining in the morning when wqe got there but had stopped by 8:30am. Crowds were non existent. I was glad i decided to take the son out of school and get up there...only my first day on the snow :-( son was up there with KingSlug in Dec and he said the conditions were MUCH better than the last time he went. Was hoping KingSlug and my sister could get up there wiht us but he wasnt feeling well and they both had to work.
Hope to meet up with y'all one day up there!!
Pic of the west side going up the Z chair with wayout on the left..looking pretty bare...and another form the base at 8am while it was raining.

JimG.

Staff member
Skied Hunter on Sat and Sun...mist and fog on Sat; mist, rain, and fog on Sun. Snow was good, same terrain we've had most of the "season". Best part of the day was skiing with my 4 year old who now skis unassisted with the edgie wedgie. He's a skier now! Stops and turns to both sides with ease, rides the lift and only needs help getting on and off the chair, otherwise he's on his own.

Woke up to heavier rain and fog yesterday and something happened that hasn't happened on an available "ski" day in years...I looked outside, threw my hands up and went back to sleep. Fed up with the crappy weather and conditions, so I just stayed home.

This season now officially sucks.

JimG.

Staff member
But it looks like it's getting better.

Show me the cold/snow.

It's been allegedly "getting better" since the season started...and doing a crappy job in my book.

Not buying any forecasts at this point...when I see and feel snow and cold, I'll buy in.

ALLSKIING

Staff member
Show me the cold/snow.

It's been allegedly "getting better" since the season started...and doing a crappy job in my book.

Not buying any forecasts at this point...when I see and feel snow and cold, I'll buy in.
You can feel the cold now Jim...Its alot colder now then it was when I woke up this am.

JimG.

Staff member
You can feel the cold now Jim...Its alot colder now then it was when I woke up this am.

It's gonna have to do better than that Dave...I'm pissed.

Crappy weather made me miss a day of skiing; there's alot of making up to do!

Greg

Staff member
Crappy weather made me miss a day of skiing; there's alot of making up to do!

I skied in that crappy weather and it was fantastic. I looked for you all day, Jim. Almost called you while at lunch.

JimG.

Staff member
I skied in that crappy weather and it was fantastic. I looked for you all day, Jim. Almost called you while at lunch.

You skied 1 day in that crappy weather...I already had 2 days of crappy weather skiing under my belt from Sat and Sun. Yeah, the snow was decent (although I could easily go off on another rant about skiing nothing but Spring snow all year), but I got wet enough on Sat and Sun.

Wasn't about to swing at strike 3.

JimG.

Staff member
I agree 110%...although is is as cold as hell here today on LI...46 this morning and now down to 22 with bone chilling cold...and not a flake of snow to be seen anywhere in the forecast.

It was cold last night and this morning...13 at my house, 5 at the base of Hunter. That's more like it!

And, the forecast is calling for snow showers on Fri and Sat! My car might want to go skiing on Friday.

krisskis

It was cold last night and this morning...13 at my house, 5 at the base of Hunter. That's more like it!

And, the forecast is calling for snow showers on Fri and Sat! My car might want to go skiing on Friday.

I cant wait!! I may run up to Hunter on saturday but i am definately going up to Mt Snow on sunday with KingSlug.