• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Hunter 2/10

holmes

Stayed for till about 9:30 and they didn't open hunter west so I booked out.

The snow was nice but the crowds were so out of hand it was not worth my time. I wonder what was wrong with the west side this morning? You would think the mountain would try to spread people out early.

No loss for me really as I have a pass, but I feel bad for the people who drove up fro the day only to deal with a Mob2013-02-10 09.30.03.jpg

This was at 9:30.

What do you mean. Westside opened at 9:25 today. B lift was down for a while early. Definitely a very busy day however.

dmc

I hear it's one of the busiest days of the year... I chose not to go out today.

Yesterday was empty...

holmes

What do you mean. Westside opened at 9:25 today. B lift was down for a while early. Definitely a very busy day however.

Then I must have missed it by 1/2 a minute. I was at the top of "F" lift then and the ropes were up and the ski patrollers were off by claires trail head yucking it up. I went down the blue run hoping that "Way out" was opened but it wasn't.

Like I said, no loss for me but the people making a day trip of it who can't handle the west side must have been tortured.

skiking4

I mean like what do you expect. Nemo had massive hype and barely anyone could go skiing on Saturday. Everyone pretty much wanted to go skiing Sunday.

I hit up Plattekill for the 1st time. Surprisingly, they had one of their busiest days maybe ever supposedly. Cars parked like 3/4 mile down the road (visibly around the bend from the top of the triple) and at least 5 min and mayb 10 min lift lines for that chair. Still, I loved it and was thankful I didn't decide to go to Hunter, which I originally planned to do.

ScottySkis

I mean like what do you expect. Nemo had massive hype and barely anyone could go skiing on Saturday. Everyone pretty much wanted to go skiing Sunday.

I hit up Plattekill for the 1st time. Surprisingly, they had one of their busiest days maybe ever supposedly. Cars parked like 3/4 mile down the road (visibly around the bend from the top of the triple) and at least 5 min and mayb 10 min lift lines for that chair. Still, I loved it and was thankful I didn't decide to go to Hunter, which I originally planned to do.
Nice to hear about Platty.:thumbup:

Unknown Phenom

Mountain was open until 4:30 today. West Side stayed open till 4.
I'm guessing over 6,000 tickets today.

Lines cleared up late and the powder was fine along the edges as always.

SKI-3PO

Double at Platty was ski on almost all day today. Nice to see them getting a crowd though.

drewfidelic

As far as lift lines, Hunter was as crowded as I've seen it, except on the west side, where the lines for the quad were manageable. And while Clairs and 35 were pretty crowded, I had a few runs down the front (27, Upper Crossover, Eisenhower) where I was the only person on the trail. It was a beautiful day, the snow was good, and it was busy early.
IMG_2756.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2733.jpg
    IMG_2733.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:

skiking4

At Platty, ripping about 7 wide GS pow turns down the bottom half of semi tracked to untracked Freefall was easily the best 600 or so vertical of the season. Kept going there and other places to lay my tracks the entire morning to create one of the best ski-wrecking mornings of the season, but also one of my biggest smiles of the season. Sucks they didn't have a solid base of the storm, the tree skiing looks great too with another storm.

dmc

funny how any trip report about hunter having lines automatically becomes a thread about how Plattekill had no lines..

yeah.. we get it... Less people ski there..
:)

dmc

Double at Platty was ski on almost all day today. Nice to see them getting a crowd though.

So was the west side quad at Hunter..
And the F chair later in the day...

catskillman

the mountain was mobbed all day from 10 to 4. They stayed open to 4:30, as it was so crowed. B lift not open until about 10 which was part of the problem, I have been skiing there for many many many years and I never saw anything like it. Every lift had insane line. West side was the least, but I think regualrs were leary going back there after the evacuttion on Friday.
A lot of those people will never going back because of the lines. I heard it was an all time high, which I definitly believe with 6500+ tickets sold, not to mention passholders and folks with other types of passes.

I wonder if Belleayre & Windham were just as crowded and if they had a guy in the lift line wearing only a Borat type bathing suit?

legalskier

I think regualrs were leary going back there after the evacuttion on Friday.

A lift evac on the west side? Yikes, what happened?

I wonder if Belleayre & Windham were just as crowded and if they had a guy in the lift line wearing only a Borat type bathing suit?

This was Belle at 11 a.m. Sat morning- sparse crowds all day (& nice on Sunday too)-

404941_10151330271092897_1561196590_n.jpg

I want to hit Hunter but I'll wait til after the holiday period.

SKI-3PO

As I'd expect - I get to Hunter much more than I get to Plattekill. This was a rare opportunity for me to get somewhere else I also like.

The point of my post was more relative to the line on the triple at Plattekill than anything happening at Hunter on a day I wasn't there. Sorry for (continuing) the hijack.

catskillman

Some idiot tried to poach 44... yeah.. that's what happens when you ski 8" of blower on rocks..

confused -- they evacuated the west side for some idiot Friday on 44???

I heard on Saturday that 2 guys poached 44 and got really messed up. They must not of ridden the lift up before skiing/riding it. Can't imagine.

another day..........

Let's clarify things,
1. Zephyr went down on Friday and they bussed the folks back to the main mountain. It opened back up later in the day.
2. Boarder went down hard poaching 44. Broke some bones and received a ticker from the police, no medivac.
3. Despite the crowds, everyone I rode the lift with had a great day Sunday including several management folks. Many resorts were off the chart crowded on Sunday.