• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Hunter Mt Jam - 60% chance of rain Saturday

skiadikt

29964_400965193527_99136623527_4435893_1818937_n.jpg

caught some of levon's set (webcam-they did an amazing job). fun but what was with fagen singing shakedown. yikes ....

dmc

caught some of levon's set (webcam-they did an amazing job). fun but what was with fagen singing shakedown. yikes ....

Yeah..... He sang it worse then I do... But made up for it with King Harvest.

I was in the front row center for the second half of the set!

deadheadskier

Staff member
Wow. I guess things have really changed since my touring days. Never saw crap like that back in the day. Shame.

you did, they're just bigger assholes now than they were years ago. Probably didn't 'name' themselves as openly back then either.

the roots of these 'gangs' started with biker gangs that went to shows.

dmc

you did, they're just bigger assholes now than they were years ago. Probably didn't 'name' themselves as openly back then either.

I was walking out of the campground about 5am Sunday morning... And security made us empty our pockets!!! They let us slide saying they were looking for cash(!!!) from the big chiefs...

Black Phantom

I was walking out of the campground about 5am Sunday morning... And security made us empty our pockets!!! They let us slide saying they were looking for cash(!!!) from the big chiefs...

How does that happen? How much would have made you suspicious?

Do these kids wear flat brimmed hats?

JerseyJoey

We never saw gangs at the shows or in the scenes. I would have remembered something like that. You had people who were a little shaky I guess, but gangs of crooks and thugs, no way. I would've remembered that, and we toured for a lot of years.

Nitrous was sold by kids trying to get enough cash to get to the next show and the next city. Same as the kids selling t-shirts, weed, memorabilia, etc. It wasn't gangs. It was heads.

Black Phantom

We never saw gangs at the shows or in the scenes. I would have remembered something like that. You had people who were a little shaky I guess, but gangs of crooks and thugs, no way. I would've remembered that, and we toured for a lot of years.

Nitrous was sold by kids trying to get enough cash to get to the next show and the next city. Same as the kids selling t-shirts, weed, memorabilia, etc. It wasn't gangs. It was heads.

No doubt.

First time I ever saw any hint of "gangs" that these guys are talking about was at RFK in the early 90's. It was balloon city out of a box truck. No way these guys were Heads. Sketchy, yes. But not beating guys up, intimidation, etc.

I think the trouble in Orlando and the mass appeal of Phish brought much of this into the open.

deadheadskier

Staff member

like I said, they're just more in your face and violent now, but they were there back then when you toured. Like any other 'gang' most members start out as lost kids looking to be accepted somewhere. As with street gangs, there is a heirarchy of members.

people like Fast Eddie have been around for decades.

http://www.dead.net/fanphotos/fast-eddie

he by most accounts is the 'leader' of GDF

The weekend was amazing. Stayed up late Friday and Saturday. I was about 10 rows back for Levon, but I was so tired I had to walk out after the cake. Cleaned the condo, killed the keg and listened from my bed.

dmc

Well... When we saw the "Dead" at Albany the gangs were in the "lot"..

dmc

The weekend was amazing. Stayed up late Friday and Saturday. I was about 10 rows back for Levon, but I was so tired I had to walk out after the cake. Cleaned the condo, killed the keg and listened from my bed.

Bummer I missed you - we made it to the front row.. Candyman,Roth and JohnnyB

dmc

No doubt.

First time I ever saw any hint of "gangs" that these guys are talking about was at RFK in the early 90's. It was balloon city out of a box truck. No way these guys were Heads. Sketchy, yes. But not beating guys up, intimidation, etc.

I think the trouble in Orlando and the mass appeal of Phish brought much of this into the open.

I first started noticing this kinda activity at shows in Philly... I remember seeing a JGB show at the spectrum.. We were surrounded by sketchiness as soon as we pulled into the lot.. Same group of people running up to each car - I remember seeing this as we drove in and told everyone to stash anything valuable cause these guys were looking in the cars... There were cars with busted windows when we came back...

dmc

I'm not talkiing about The Dead. I'm talking about the Grateful Dead, but I think you already knew that.

I do - just pointing it out.. :)

Back then some random dude would whisper "shrooms shrooms" - now they say "what do you need"... it's one stop shopping apparently with the gangs.. They control everything..

JerseyJoey

I do - just pointing it out.. :)

Back then some random dude would whisper "shrooms shrooms" - now they say "what do you need"... it's one stop shopping apparently with the gangs.. They control everything..

I remember one time, way back when, some chica head was walking aorund the scene saying "boomers...boomers". I thought she lost her dog.

dmc

Picture of the weekend...

Poor wookie...
31822_1394116745492_1609406185_954512_5209576_n.jpg

maineskier69

The sketchiness you may witness in the scene these days are "usually" younger punks that were still in grade school when Jerry died and haven't a clue of what it is to be a Deadhead. The nitrous thing has gotten out of control. I saw a group with a tank in the plain open in front of The Verizon Center in Manchester after a Furthur show (talk about balls/stupidity).
At Hampton I have seen the same group of guys of "middle eastern decent" selling balloons around the lot on several occassions (they were definately not there for the music).

Times have changed...

dmc

The sketchiness you may witness in the scene these days are "usually" younger punks that were still in grade school when Jerry died and haven't a clue of what it is to be a Deadhead.

The younger punks(wooks) work for older guys who hold the $