• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Hunter Mtn Expansion Details

when I use to record, my ski tracks regularly said I exceeded 70 at the bottom of Clairs

Cornhead

When you take into account the max speeds, as recorded with reliable radar guns, not phone based GPS apps, on the world cup circuit, on some long, seriously steep, fully iced down courses, on skis that are prepared by technicians with an unlimited wax budget and the athlete's wearing form fitting race suits and who have spent countless hours in the off season in wind tunnels to further home their tucks into the most aerodynamic positions possible rarely hits over 84 mph except for Wengen and Kitzbuhl generally, that a recreational skier, on the hill the size Greek, can hit 84, can certainly be taken with a grain of salt.....

A grain?!, Lol. I told him I didn't think Bode Miller in a race suit could hit 80 at Greek. "Oh no, I've checked it against my car speedometer, it's accurate." I thought you were an engineer? Must've been a chemical engineer.

It just seems boring to me, to each his own, I guess. He would ask our mutual friend on the chair when he saw me on the ungroomed side of a trail, "Why would anyone want to ski over there?" As far as danger goes, I would say he's in complete control 99.5% of the time. I have seen him bobble a little from something in the trail a couple times. Even if he hit 60, which is reasonable, hitting anything solid with your body at that speed would surely result in serious injury, or death. He's probably less at risk than someone who skis the edge of the trails at a good clip making turns. The trees are right there, and the chance of catching an edge is much greater than not turning at all, or only when necessary.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using AlpineZone mobile app

Last edited:

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
I believe FC's doing 40's and 50's ,but it's funny how certain areas are prone to errors . My newer phone does a better job of tracking ground trace but sometimes just gets bad signal I guess . A couple lazy circles at 47MPH and it cuts off twice IMG_1225.jpg

lerops

Well, sometimes the effect is opposite.

A couple of years ago I was skiing in Switzerland, wide open and empty trails, great conditions, etc. I recorded as usual. The max speed was just shy of 60mph. But it did not mean anything to me.

Fast forward, the next year I was watching the Olympics Women’s Downhill. They show max speed for the skiers, and one of the contenders had 62 mph, and I remembered what I recorded. I was terrified, a year after skiing that run. Since then, my max is around 40mph. I should not be skiing that fast.

So the app helped me with my calibration. Not everybody tries to beat their “best”. Because that was my worst, not best.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

deadheadskier

Staff member
He messaged me in the fall that he was leaving the forums. He didn't care for some of the arguments he was getting into.

Hopefully he's had a good season and changes his mind some day and returns.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

Funky_Catskills

Hunter North is looking good on the first day of spring.. Hoping it can stay open for a couple more weeks.. The sun exposure is going to be sweeeeeet... I think they have enough snow for a runout for a while... fingers crossed.. Going to suck when it closes - I haven't been to the main area since December... :)

drjeff

Hunter North is looking good on the first day of spring.. Hoping it can stay open for a couple more weeks.. The sun exposure is going to be sweeeeeet... I think they have enough snow for a runout for a while... fingers crossed.. Going to suck when it closes - I haven't been to the main area since December... :)

Wait, you haven't been to the main side since December. You regularly lap Hunter North. And you haven't died?? It must mean that you're either the luckiest person walking the face of the Earth, or you have a great deal of common sense and adjust your riding for the conditions on any given day..... ;-)

Glad you've been enjoying the investment that the mutual parent company of our respective home resorts put into Hunter! Let's hope that they continue to invest, and I am looking forward to getting my kids into some races in the Catskills next year and using my Peak Pass at Hunter to check out Hunter North for myself next season!

Funky_Catskills

Wait, you haven't been to the main side since December. You regularly lap Hunter North. And you haven't died?? It must mean that you're either the luckiest person walking the face of the Earth, or you have a great deal of common sense and adjust your riding for the conditions on any given day..... ;-)

Glad you've been enjoying the investment that the mutual parent company of our respective home resorts put into Hunter! Let's hope that they continue to invest, and I am looking forward to getting my kids into some races in the Catskills next year and using my Peak Pass at Hunter to check out Hunter North for myself next season!

The lot is always empty and 2 minutes from my place..
I can get in 5 or 6 runs during lunch and i don't have to deal with the front area parking.
It's really a nice area. I like trails that bend with pitch. The sun hits it really nicely at noon which is perfect. I bet the next couple weeks are going to be awesome!!! The runout has a couple whales that they can use to keep it open for a while..

it's really been a game changer for me and got me back into riding consistently..

urungus

He messaged me in the fall that he was leaving the forums. He didn't care for some of the arguments he was getting into.

Hopefully he's had a good season and changes his mind some day and returns.[/URL]

Hope tuna comes back, his posts on skiing on the cheap saved me $$$ and we need more peeps from Western Mass.

tnt1234

So you don't even ski the front face? I like that racer edge trail on the front. And there is another one next to it that is pretty good....