• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Hunter Mtn Expansion Details

kingslug

We went down it..lots of people on their asses..lots of kids..it was just a hard run at the time..no one died that day. Then we went down it about 4 or 5 more times..people were just having trouble with it. We liked it. I guess they were expecting a blue cruiser..

FBGM

I can't believe you guys are still debating this. If you don't know the facts about the 3 completely separate incidents then don't comment. Lets enjoy Hunter North!
From yesterday.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/C3N1m1aqoSXhHXzZ7

You mean the fact that it was built and designed by someone who has no business or experience in ski area construction? And has now led to deaths? And should be sued?

RichT

N Haledon, NJ/Jewett, NY/South Seaside Park, NJ
Nope Overlook is still a "Blue/Black" saw the sign Sunday.

Not true.

Hunter/Peak Resorts quickly changed their rating to Blue/Black (they put a black diamond inside the blue square with electrical tape).

Vail has now changed them to Black, and left some off the trail map.

For a refresher - read the article in this months Ski magazine. However, it only speaks to the deaths and the 2 broken legs on opening day, not the 50+ injuries during the season.

RichT

N Haledon, NJ/Jewett, NY/South Seaside Park, NJ
I want to see the rest of the video where that guy had to CC ski a few hundred feet, because the run-out doesn't have enough pitch for that snow depth.

I can't believe you guys are still debating this. If you don't know the facts about the 3 completely separate incidents then don't comment. Lets enjoy Hunter North!
From yesterday.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/C3N1m1aqoSXhHXzZ7

tnt1234

I want to see the rest of the video where that guy had to CC ski a few hundred feet, because the run-out doesn't have enough pitch for that snow depth.

Seems completely worth it to me.

Funky_Catskills

How did you get back from the north side? Hike up the road?

A cool little parking area with a ticket booth and a food truck - drive past the Hunter entrance and go a couple minutes outside of the Village - on the left.. A mile from my house...!!!! BOOM!!!

tnt1234

A cool little parking area with a ticket booth and a food truck - drive past the Hunter entrance and go a couple minutes outside of the Village - on the left.. A mile from my house...!!!! BOOM!!!

I'm just asking because when that video was shot, I don't think the north side lift was running.

Slidebrook87

I'm still quite confused about these incidents. When I skied the trails, they were like any other blue on the mountain. Can someone please explain to me why it could be seen as the mountain's fault?

drjeff

I'm still quite confused about these incidents. When I skied the trails, they were like any other blue on the mountain. Can someone please explain to me why it could be seen as the mountain's fault?

More to do with today's society and the perspective that when something goes wrong, it can never be the "fault" of the individual, but instead must be the fault of someone/something else.

Slidebrook87

More to do with today's society and the perspective that when something goes wrong, it can never be the "fault" of the individual, but instead must be the fault of someone/something else.

Exactly what I was thinking, but people were saying it was the mountain's fault. That's why I asked.

Funky_Catskills

Exactly what I was thinking, but people were saying it was the mountain's fault. That's why I asked.

There's a population of people that will stop at nothing to diss on Hunter..
They may've not been there for 20 years but they remember when they pissed themselves looking down Clairs in 1981... And how afraid they were - and how they couldn't "man up" and enjoy it..

kingslug

Clair's and Anna..never get tired of them. The West side is still one of my favorite places to ski on the E coast..secluded, steep. When its good you can spend a day back there..and you will feel it the next day.