• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Hurricane Bill: Threat to NE?

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
Here's Saturday's current estimates for 'ya Root - not too much difference Sat to Sun for the Jersey Shore per the current thoughts

billwaves0819.jpg
Grandparents are coming up on Sat to sample my famous Orion Ribs. Mrs Root has a "girls" night out in Avalon and won't be home until late Sunday, so sunday looks likes it's my best shot. Currents look much better on Sat however.

drjeff

Latest east coast wave estimates for Sunday pulled off of weather.com...:-o

billwaves3_0819.jpg

The only "good thing" that I'm seeing about Bill and these waves and the general population is that Bill tends to be trending slightly closer to land, which means that the sh$tty weather (wind, heavy rain) will likely be over the coastal beach areas also, hence keeping some of the folks away from the massive power that these waves and riptides will bring. Sunny weather would be more likely to get extra stupid people near and/or in the water to experience it and hence likely lead to more un needed dangerous work for the Coast Guard and/or local police + fire departments

models_storm3.jpg

Last edited:

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Gonna be some darn good boogie-boarding..

I'm sure the lifeguards won't let anybody in the water..it's a good thing alot of Jersey Shore towns dredged sand from the ocean to expand dunes and beaches cause this could be a humdinger..

I'm gonna buy more toilet paper and Milk..I'm 90 miles inland but you can never be too safe..

80% of all rescues are due to under currents, according to a national rescue report I saw last night. I'll be at the NJS starting Tuesday to see what remains of the dunes....

hammer

south seaside park. U down there or know of it?
I grew up on the mainland near LBI...spent a number of evenings in my teenage years on the boardwalk in Seaside Heights.

I never made it over to Island Beach State Park, but I heard a lot of good things about it...and it's right down the road from where you will be. Enjoy.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
I grew up on the mainland near LBI...spent a number of evenings in my teenage years on the boardwalk in Seaside Heights.

I never made it over to Island Beach State Park, but I heard a lot of good things about it...and it's right down the road from where you will be. Enjoy.

LBI, party city, I hear. :-o I go to visit relatives, I'm not a beach or boardwalk guy. First time on the boardwalk, I saw more losers in one night than I had my entire life before then. Granted most of the folks are nice, the others it attract requires the heigths to what, quadruple their police force during the summer. ick....

After visiting for 25 years, I finally biked the length of IBSP last year. Interesting, but too hot for me. Went to Pine Barrens when I bored of the water and biked through the "woods" around there. Saw some 4-legged critters. But most important thing I learned - Pine Barrens is where all Mylar helium-filled party balloons go to die. I thought they were kidding me, but I must have spied two dozen of them on my ride.

Not allowed on a bike or sailboat right now (big bummer), still a little wobbly and I can't risk another whack to the noggin. Have to keep it safe till ski season.
Looks like I'll be practicing making frozen drinks a lot :D

deadheadskier

Staff member
Waves were in the 6 - 12 range today at Hampton. Primary Beach was closed to swimming. North Beach has no life guards and I went body boarding today.

Bad timing on the tides unfortunately for it to be really off the hook. The big big swells broke too far off shore for body/boogie boarders to enjoy, but the regular surfers were killing it. I bet tomorrow morning post low tide will still be great.

WJenness

Waves were in the 6 - 12 range today at Hampton. Primary Beach was closed to swimming. North Beach has no life guards and I went body boarding today.

Bad timing on the tides unfortunately for it to be really off the hook. The big big swells broke too far off shore for body/boogie boarders to enjoy, but the regular surfers were killing it. I bet tomorrow morning post low tide will still be great.

I stayed at a friend's house on the beach in Seabrook on Sat. night... The waves sounded really impressive during the early morning hours... unfortunately, I had to be somewhere to run a fencing tournament during the day on Sunday, so I didn't get to check out the waves for long in the morning.

-w

bigbog

I was on Nantucket when Floyd hit. It is fun taking the SUV out after that on the dirt roads. I had water come over the hood in one puddle.
Aggressive treads with nice float(over land)...as long as you watch for flood stages and potential hazards, I love driving around to see what's going on following... Pack the chainsaw...you never know who might need help..and when..

Last edited: