• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

i got bored and booked a 2 week ski trip

KustyTheKlown

It’s nice to have a kitchen but an Airbnb for one in jackson and sun valley would be cost prohibitive and also require money down I don’t want to spend now

jimk

I stayed a bunch of nights at the Rodeway Inn in gunnison last year for like 60 bucks a night. I'm too tired to give a fuck about being somewhere nice. Dinner at the safeway, shower and pass out. Traveling alone is awesome!
Along the same line, and not sure if already mentioned, but I stayed in Motel 6 Jackson WY in 2020 just before the pandemic for about $80 per night for a week. Good deal and the interiors are fairly recently remodeled. Rooms are small though.
When I travel alone or with son it can be places like Motel 6. When wife is along it gets pricier.:giggle:

I'd prefer driving my own subaru to a Motel 6 type place over trucking around in a fancy RV, but that's just me.

Last edited:

cdskier

It’s nice to have a kitchen but an Airbnb for one in jackson and sun valley would be cost prohibitive and also require money down I don’t want to spend now

For fun I just looked up AirBnBs in JH and Sun Valley on the dates you mentioned...Sun Valley actually seems to have a decent number of options available for maybe a couple hundred bucks total more than the price you mentioned. JH on the other hand is nuts (unless you want a 350 sq ft basement apartment under a dentist's office downtown...in which case it is about the same price as your higher end JH option, but doesn't have much cancellation flexibility and would require money down now).

Zand

The cost discussion got me to go back and see how much all my west trips cost. This is just hotels, flight, and car. Food I generally do have a cafeteria lunch at the mountain and then usually fast food to keep dinner cheap. I didn't include it in my trip costs but I figure it's probably $40 per day for me. Also didn't include gas in my costs which was at most $100 but usually 1 tank or less for the SLC trips.

Colorado 2018 (Winter Park/Copper): $1229 for 5 days of skiing. I think the most surprising thing about looking back to that trip is I only spent $300 for an SUV with 4WD for 5 days. Those times have changed fast. Stayed at the Winter Park Lodge right across the street and Hotel Frisco. A little pricier than my usual Super 8s and that junk, but still not bad considering location.

Utah 2019 (Solitude/Snowbird/DV/Alta): $716 for 4 days of skiing. Super 8 in Midvale was (and still is) super cheap (although it's become somewhat of a drug den and a shithole since 2019). I've paid more just to stay in Maine for 4 days than I did for flights, car, and hotels for that whole trip.

Utah/Jackson 2019 (Brighton/Alta/JHMR/Snowbird): $1179 for 6 days of skiing

Jackson 2020 (Snow King/JHMR): $1101 for 6 days of skiing

Jackson 2021 (Snow King/JHMR): $804 for 5 days of skiing (will be tough to ever do it that cheaply again)

Utah 2021 (Snowbird/Alta/Solitude): $1074 for 5 days of skiing plus 1 day at Lagoon.

I'm not sure what I want to do yet this year. Flights look like they will be considerably more this winter (surely not $202 round trip from Bradley to Jackson like 2021), not to mention car rentals are still way up. I'm not sure if I want to do a 2 week trip (and then maybe a quick 4 day hitter) or a couple 1 week trips. With Ikon and Indy I have so much to choose from and I'm not sure where to even start. I kind of want to base a trip off @KustyTheKlown 's Indy trip last winter but I feel like the smaller towns and extensive travel would make things way more expensive. Guess I have 5 months to figure it out.

Zand

For fun I just looked up AirBnBs in JH and Sun Valley on the dates you mentioned...Sun Valley actually seems to have a decent number of options available for maybe a couple hundred bucks total more than the price you mentioned. JH on the other hand is nuts (unless you want a 350 sq ft basement apartment under a dentist's office downtown...in which case it is about the same price as your higher end JH option, but doesn't have much cancellation flexibility and would require money down now).
In some towns I feel like AirBnBs would be worth it, but in Jackson the Super 8 is usually $79 per night and is actually decently nice and located in a good spot to both grab dinner in town and get right on Rt 22 to the mountain. I get that some motels are really slumming it, but this one isn't at all.

abc

eating in the same dining room for 2 weeks sounds miserably boring.
One of the "dinning room" I ate in had Michelin 4 star! If you're bored with a week of that, you have more exquisite taste than I do ;)

Moreover, most European ski resorts are many times larger than typical US mountains. So the need to move around is really just a time & money waster.

As for lodging discount for long stays, it really depends on the type of lodging you're after. You've settled on motels, which typically don't give discount even if you stay a whole month. But if you go for a AirBnB or suite/apartment type of lodging, a weekly stay is more typical. You may find it much more in line as 7 nights of cheap motel. With more space and kitchen facility, you can make your own dinner and eat/drink in pajamas.

Pre-pandemic, I traveled in the same mode as you do. But now, since I'm working remote, I switched to long stay and found suite/apartment style lodging much more comfortable. It feels more like a vacation, rather than a whirlwind escape.

Last edited:

crank

When we go to JH we don't rent a car. We've stayed at the Antler Inn motel and at the 49er. Both owned by the same family, 49er a bit more upscale. Both run their own shuttles and town bus is convenient as well. We like not having to drive and being able to walk around town and go different places for dinner, drinks, music.

On the other hand, sometimes we indulge in pricey on mountain places with spas and crap.

And we have done the European thing a few times where you stay in a nice little hotel and they feed you a great dinner every evening. Skiing in the Alps can be very expensive and it can be downright cheap depending on where you go.

Different strokes for different folks - but different strokes for the same folks as well.

A good friend of mine rented a room at Jackson's Motel 6 for 6-8 weeks last couple of seasons. He already bought his pass for next season; I wonder if he made reservations yet?

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
If anyone* needs help flying in/out from SLC with a ride or anything let me know! I am 20 minutes from the airport right on the I-15 so it's nothing if anyone's plans get f'd up or whatever. Also anyone going to Alta should definitely reach out to me via PM***.

* meaning any member who's established on this site, and doesn't sound like a complete shmuck.

***offer valid with purchase of beer for ss20. One beer at the Peruvian bar for every stash revealed :ROFLMAO:

jimmywilson69

Lots of good info and discussion in here!

KK great trip, I'm jealous of your style.

I also am jealous of the European style trip too.

Stayed at antler Inn can't beat it. Did no car as well. Because of this I didn't hit Targhee, which I will do on a future visit. Antler shuttle was fine and the rooms okay too. Those rooms in the summer were crazy expensive per the sign in the back of the door.

KustyTheKlown

You are a new york city lawyer with no children and no wife. Nothing should be cost prohibitive.

I’m a jersey city ex lawyer in legal tech with six figure student loan debt and high rental expense. I already pony up $230/month to park my Nissan. No idea where I’d stash a $10k+ trailer

And the $230 is cheap. When I lived in bk i street parked for free and moved the car multiple times a week bc private parking was $650+

And while the govt may not think I have a wife, for all practical purposes I have a wife. 5 year gf, cohabitating for 4 years. She had a little alcohol induced meltdown recently about the lack of wifehood

On the Airbnb front id much rather spend $100 per night than $200 per night, even if that means living in a motel for a week. I could afford it but see no reason to double my biggest cost

Last edited:

KustyTheKlown

The cost discussion got me to go back and see how much all my west trips cost. This is just hotels, flight, and car. Food I generally do have a cafeteria lunch at the mountain and then usually fast food to keep dinner cheap. I didn't include it in my trip costs but I figure it's probably $40 per day for me. Also didn't include gas in my costs which was at most $100 but usually 1 tank or less for the SLC trips.

Colorado 2018 (Winter Park/Copper): $1229 for 5 days of skiing. I think the most surprising thing about looking back to that trip is I only spent $300 for an SUV with 4WD for 5 days. Those times have changed fast. Stayed at the Winter Park Lodge right across the street and Hotel Frisco. A little pricier than my usual Super 8s and that junk, but still not bad considering location.

Utah 2019 (Solitude/Snowbird/DV/Alta): $716 for 4 days of skiing. Super 8 in Midvale was (and still is) super cheap (although it's become somewhat of a drug den and a shithole since 2019). I've paid more just to stay in Maine for 4 days than I did for flights, car, and hotels for that whole trip.

Utah/Jackson 2019 (Brighton/Alta/JHMR/Snowbird): $1179 for 6 days of skiing

Jackson 2020 (Snow King/JHMR): $1101 for 6 days of skiing

Jackson 2021 (Snow King/JHMR): $804 for 5 days of skiing (will be tough to ever do it that cheaply again)

Utah 2021 (Snowbird/Alta/Solitude): $1074 for 5 days of skiing plus 1 day at Lagoon.

I'm not sure what I want to do yet this year. Flights look like they will be considerably more this winter (surely not $202 round trip from Bradley to Jackson like 2021), not to mention car rentals are still way up. I'm not sure if I want to do a 2 week trip (and then maybe a quick 4 day hitter) or a couple 1 week trips. With Ikon and Indy I have so much to choose from and I'm not sure where to even start. I kind of want to base a trip off @KustyTheKlown 's Indy trip last winter but I feel like the smaller towns and extensive travel would make things way more expensive. Guess I have 5 months to figure it out.

Yea the rental from an actual company used to be like $50/day, but hertz and enterprise were looking for $1450 for my 12 day trip. That cost has skyrocketed. Fortunately the turo is $71/day and I get the peace of mind of a Subaru with snow tires

KustyTheKlown

the motel6 is now the 'jackson southtown motel' and is indeed my $400 option

super8 by Wyndham is the $800 option

Zand

the motel6 is now the 'jackson southtown motel' and is indeed my $400 option

super8 by Wyndham is the $800 option
Holy shit, I just went on hotels.com and, sure enough, the Super 8 is triple the price of when I was there last.

abc

Different strokes for different folks - but different strokes for the same folks as well.
I'm really the same stroke. I can never convince myself to pay the big premium for the luxury and convenience of on mountain lodging. But there've been a few occasions I "accidentally" found on mountain lodging (or a larger room/suite) price on par with the cost of cheap motel! I'd be silly not to take the upgrade. I've gravitated to longer stay the last 5 years precisely to take advantage of weekly rates in many of these kind of lodging. Of course, it needs to be for a mountain that has a lot of variety to ski a full week. But I also found the more I ski a mountain, the bigger it becomes. :)

Going to Europe, I seek out small family run lodging offering "half board" plan (breakfast & dinner included). Mostly because it's the most economic plan. But also, I'm quite happy to be fed home-made pasta with fresh ingredient and exotic cheese for a week! In fact, I'll probably "put up with it" for a lot longer! :)

KustyTheKlown

Holy shit, I just went on hotels.com and, sure enough, the Super 8 is triple the price of when I was there last.

the motel6 $100 a night when i am staying. its like $300 a night in the summer. i get it that jackson is a year round destination. still always surprises me when i see summer rates higher than winter in a ski town.

the super8 by Wyndham is $200/night in winter. tis my backup

Zand

its $100 a night when i am staying. its like $300 a night in the summer. i get it that jackson is a year round destination. still always surprises me when i see summer rates higher than winter in a ski town.
I've looked at quite a few weeks in Feb and Mar and its saying $300 per night for me.

abc

If anyone* needs help flying in/out from SLC with a ride or anything let me know! I am 20 minutes from the airport right on the I-15 so it's nothing if anyone's plans get f'd up or whatever. Also anyone going to Alta should definitely reach out to me via PM***.

* meaning any member who's established on this site, and doesn't sound like a complete shmuck.

***offer valid with purchase of beer for ss20. One beer at the Peruvian bar for every stash revealed :ROFLMAO:
You may single handedly increase the sale of IKON full pass by quite a few! :ROFLMAO:

KustyTheKlown

I've looked at quite a few weeks in Feb and Mar and its saying $300 per night for me.

ya i misread you. the super8 is more expensive now. the motel6 is cheap

i was able to book the super8 for $800 total for 4 nights tho, so not quite $300, but pricing is dynamic and changes constantly

Last edited: