• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

i got bored and booked a 2 week ski trip

Zand

It's bizarre because I paid $75 a night in 2020 and $85 a night in 2021. I know things have gone up, but $300 is very excessive. It's a nice Super 8, but it's still a Super 8.

Guess I'll have to find a new place if I go there this year.

KustyTheKlown

the antler is still about $100/night. a little more. free to cancel til last minute, but requires payment now.

i stayed at the antler with friends and did the shuttle thing without a car years ago. it was fine with other people. i still would have preferred having a car, and definitely want a car when i am alone + multiple destinations

i'd love to stay in TGRs place. my bougey ass cousin stayed there recently and his pictures looked really nice. the continuum hotel

Domeskier

One of the "dinning room" I ate in had Michelin 4 star! If you're bored with a week of that, you have more exquisite taste than I do ;)
4 Michelin stars, huh? The chef must be putting 110% into his menu. : Obnoxious winky face:

abc

4 Michelin stars, huh? The chef must be putting 110% into his menu. : Obnoxious winky face:
Or the hotel put in less than 100% to their advertising brochure printer. ;) (I only threw out the brochure recently)

It was a group trip. I didn't pick it. But yes, that was the advertisement. I didn't find it significantly better than other restaurants I've eaten in the rest of the trip. But that's because the standard of food is significantly better on average in Europe than in the US.

Staying in a motel, the quality of food one can manage by eating out is very much in doubt. Never mind the extra cost. So, I'd much rather "got stuck" in the same hotel restaurant for a week in Europe over driving to different restaurants every day in Ogden. (Sun Valley & Jackson would be a slightly less lopsided contest)

abc

It's bizarre because I paid $75 a night in 2020 and $85 a night in 2021. I know things have gone up, but $300 is very excessive. It's a nice Super 8, but it's still a Super 8.
I've been traveling both 2021 and 2022. I noticed the price had gone crazy in 2022!

But the increase is uneven. Couple weeks ago, I had to be in Cape Cod for a kayak surfing outing. On first glance, the hotels were totally unaffordable ($300). So I started by throwing my camping gear into the back of the car. But after a bit of hunting, I found one from a high end chain (Marriot or Hilton, I forgot) for $100! That's perfectly acceptable (for Cape Cod). So out came the camping gear and in went the bike, because I stayed an extra days to do some biking.

thetrailboss

Staff member
friday feb 17 - weds march 1

fly into SLC.
rented a turo (2016 subaru legacy with snow tires) - $850
drive to jackson, ski 4-5 days, room at motel feb 18-22 - $395 option or $800 option
drive to sun valley, ski 3-4 days, room at motel feb 22-25 - $400
drive to ogden, ski 1-2 days each at powmow and Snowbasin, room at motel feb 25-mar 1 - $495
fly home from SLC

11 ski days, 3 states = $2140 + flight (~$550) = ~$2700

all skiing is ikon or indy, and i got the full ikon specifically to accommodate these destinations

the only way to stay in the cheapest places that let you reserve now pay later, and also have free cancellation, is to book it at the height of summer.

hopper and kayak both said to wait on flight. and flight is the only thing i need to commit to when i do choose to buy it.

no money down for anything except the turo, but I'll be happy to have that paid come february

View attachment 54663
I'd say that was a productive use of downtime! (y)

snoseek

I just priced out the same trip I took last year for 13 days and it's up almost 100 percent!

I think I'm gonna have to stay back here next winter I'm just not ok with dropping that kind of money at this time. If I do manage to find a 3 week or so window I'll maybe drive and couch surf but I don't want to kill my car as well.

I also don't think I'll be working with an epic or ikon pass so there's that

Last edited:

KustyTheKlown

not apples to apples but my total costs for my washington/idaho jaunt last year was $2000 vs this trip $2700. pretty similar if not exact same number of days/nights. skiing places like 49N and mission ridge and staying in weird towns like wenatchee and chewelah washington are probably the difference maker there. a bit cheaper to stay near 49N than jackson hole or sun valley. rental cars were still very cheap last ski season too before the chaos of the past few months.

snoseek

not apples to apples but my total costs for my washington/idaho jaunt last year was $2000 vs this trip $2700. pretty similar if not exact same number of days/nights. skiing places like 49N and mission ridge and staying in weird towns like wenatchee and chewelah washington are probably the difference maker there. a bit cheaper to stay near 49N than jackson hole or sun valley. rental cars were still very cheap last ski season too before the chaos of the past few months.
They gave me a nice and hybrid suv for 600 dollars last year. It was an upgrade but I can't even find a shitbox at that price. Also boston to grand junction flight was just over 300 dollars. We will never see prices like that again!

KustyTheKlown

They gave me a nice and hybrid suv for 600 dollars last year. It was an upgrade but I can't even find a shitbox at that price. Also boston to grand junction flight was just over 300 dollars. We will never see prices like that again!

as i said earlier in the thread, just wait a bit on flights, things are going to change bigly there.

and for cars, i strongly recommend turo - i saved $600 vs enterprise/hertz/alamo. and i also foresee cars coming back to earth as chip production ramps back up. the rental agencies sold off their fleets during covid and then were fucked buying new cars bc of chips

these things rise and fall cyclically. we aren't in permanent high prices. there's already signs of relief throughout the economy

snoseek

as i said earlier in the thread, just wait a bit on flights, things are going to change bigly there.

and for cars, i strongly recommend turo - i saved $600 vs enterprise/hertz/alamo. and i also foresee cars coming back to earth as chip production ramps back up. the rental agencies sold off their fleets during covid and then were fucked buying new cars bc of chips

these things rise and fall cyclically. we aren't in permanent high prices. there's already signs of relief throughout the economy
I booked that trip like 6 weeks before I actually took it on a whim so maybe I'll have a look later on as winter gets closer.

jimk

I drove over from SLC to Aspen last Feb to ski a couple days with 50 of my Ski Talk . com friends. Many were griping about the cost increases, and Aspen was never cheap. They also were griping about flight delays from all directions. One guy told me on a chair lift ride, "the conditions are great, the skiers are fun, the terrain is beautiful, but $5000 for one ski week for a solo traveler is hard to swallow."

abc

complaining about your ski vacation costs at Aspen is pretty funny. 😍

what's next - their August rental in the Hamptons is too pricey?
Aspen isn't as "expensive" as many imagined. It's not cheap, but that has a lot to do with Aspen doesn't have any fleenest that can be had at 90% cost of a decent place. Aspen is such a great place to ski, a lot of ski bums ski there. Somehow they found affordable way to do it. It doesn't come anywhere close to $5000/week

Funny enough, I hear plenty of moaning about the Hamptons being "too pricy". But unlike Aspen, the beaches at the Hamptons aren't unique. So plenty of people, after a season in the Hamptons, settle on Amaganssett and Montauk,

2Planker

not a dick measuring contest, and the dollar is great vs the euro right now, but how long is that trip? for 11 ski days and 12 nights of lodging, i think i'm crushing the costs here. can you do europe for 11 skiing days for $2700pp? including all transport and lodging. skiing is on passes so is essentially free, but it comes out to about $20/day for my pass usage, so +$220 for skiing
10 days total, 7 ski days and 2 days in Paris/Rome after Chamonix
The EURO is 1:1 right now. Makes skiing europe 22/23 the best deals out there

KustyTheKlown

10 days total, 7 ski days and 2 days in Paris/Rome after Chamonix
The EURO is 1:1 right now. Makes skiing europe 22/23 the best deals out there

no doubt. its an awesome time to go to Europe. I'm not trying to go ski europe by myself tho, especially with their different approach to on-pise/off piste inbounds/out of bounds. as an adventure skier trying to get into fun stuff, i'd be much less confident skiing in the European style by myself, and def would not want to pony up for a private guide.

have fun! i studied abroad in rome so it was a lifetime ago on a very young man's budget. would love to go back.

Abominable

I'm sorry Krusty, but you really need to cancel this trip and start over. Apparently Sun Valley sucks, you will be on the wrong continent eating substandard food and you've overpaid for the entire thing.

Ha ha! Sounds like an awesome trip. Nice daydream on an 85 degree summer day.

abc

I'll maybe drive and couch surf but I don't want to kill my car as well.
Tell me about it!

Put mega-miles on my car last year. New tires and brakes needed. Boy that was quite an eye opener.

So I'm staying close to home this summer.