• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

i got bored and booked a 2 week ski trip

deadheadskier

Staff member
You city folk pay too much in taxes, we pay 3% combined income/property/sales

Where are you coming up with those figures neighbor?

I won't deny that NH is the most tax friendly state in the Northeast, but that 3% claim is curious even with 0% income and sales tax. Property tax rates are damn high in most towns in the state.

thebigo

Where are you coming up with those figures neighbor?

I won't deny that NH is the most tax friendly state in the Northeast, but that 3% claim is curious even with 0% income and sales tax. Property tax rates are damn high in most towns in the state.
Like most NH lake towns, Nottingham is heavily subsidized by part time residents and retirees. We built our house at the bottom of the market in 2010, many would have upgraded over the years but the small footprint and customization suit our needs. I do however agree, many large NH houses in high tax towns carry a huge property tax burden. Trying to time this next downturn for a homestead in either Hebron or Bridgewater.

snoseek

Like most NH lake towns, Nottingham is heavily subsidized by part time residents and retirees. We built our house at the bottom of the market in 2010, many would have upgraded over the years but the small footprint and customization suit our needs. I do however agree, many large NH houses in high tax towns carry a huge property tax burden. Trying to time this next downturn for a homestead in either Hebron or Bridgewater.
We've been hitting newfound lake to swim quite a bit this summer and that area sure is nice.

thebigo

We've been hitting newfound lake to swim quite a bit this summer and that area sure is nice.
Seriously. Never spent much time in the Newfound area until last winter, we did a seasonal rental in Bristol and fell in love with the area. Taxes are stupid cheap, could own a $400K house in Herbon, total NH taxes would be $2500 and plymouth has everything you need. I would move tomorrow but my wife doesnt want to leave her hospital and hard to uproot kids in grade school.

snoseek

Seriously. Never spent much time in the Newfound area until last winter, we did a seasonal rental in Bristol and fell in love with the area. Taxes are stupid cheap, could own a $400K house in Herbon, total NH taxes would be $2500 and plymouth has everything you need. I would move tomorrow but my wife doesnt want to leave her hospital and hard to uproot kids in grade school.
If you haven't checked out wellington state park I highly suggest it. Great beach and all kinds of trails. If you get in early there's some super nice spots to set up for the day. Water is pristine.

2Planker

You city folk pay too much in taxes, we pay 3% combined income/property/sales
Ummmmm. NH property taxes are pretty high in order to make up for the lack of sales and income tax.
Conway is pretty high for the MWV

bigbob

Ummmmm. NH property taxes are pretty high in order to make up for the lack of sales and income tax.
Conway is pretty high for the MWV
I live in Lee, low 5 figure bill and I have to haul my trash to the dump. No lakeside second homes to subsidize our gold plated school district! I am also looking to move north of the notches with lower tax bills when I retire in a few years. House prices up there have doubled in the last few years. Friends of mine are looking now.

2Planker

I live in Lee, low 5 figure bill and I have to haul my trash to the dump. No lakeside second homes to subsidize our gold plated school district! I am also looking to move north of the notches with lower tax bills when I retire in a few years. House prices up there have doubled in the last few years. Friends of mine are looking now.
Doubled ?? More like tripled.
On our street. What sold for 218K in '13 just went for 650K
Only mod was to add central air

jimk

I had a dumpy house across the street from me in Northern Virginia sell for $200,004 over asking in March 2022. I was skiing in Utah when this happened and didn't get any details from neighbors, but there must have been some kind of bidding war. However, since then it appears home values in my area have dropped about 5% in the last couple of months with the rise of interest rates. I think some cooling/return to sanity is due for real estate on a nationwide basis.

KustyTheKlown

i figured why come back on a Wednesday and go to work Thursday - Friday, so i yolo'd the time off request and am confirmed off from fri 2/17 thru fri 3/3.

need to extend the car rental, or just return it and be a SLC mass transit skier for the last couple days at alta bird.

stoked.

abc

i figured why come back on a Wednesday and go to work Thursday - Friday, so i yolo'd the time off request and am confirmed off from fri 2/17 thru fri 3/3.

need to extend the car rental, or just return it and be a SLC mass transit skier for the last couple days at alta bird.

stoked.
Flights on weekends cost more than Wednesdays

But otherwise a good plan

KustyTheKlown

will prob shoot for the thurs>fri red eye so i can ski 3/1 and 3/2 and be home for a full weekend with the missus

BenedictGomez

BenedictGomez

just look at what Vermont hotels are charging this summer. It's pure insanity. The Fairfied Inn in Williston on the night before my flight wants $389. For a Fairfield Inn!!!! Not even in Burlington!

I spent a week in Vermont this summer. Total cost for lodging? $0.00. Marrying a Vermonter is the real deal SOTC tip.

thebigo

Not according to the TSA, unless it's checked. Can confirm. Had a flat survival tool in my wallet confiscated at SLC a few years back, and that only technically has a "blade" in the loosest sense of the word, and that "blade" is about 1cm long!

I carry a pocket Swiss army knife on my keys, not the tiny one, blade is 2 - 3". TSA or event security have taken so many that it has become a joke in our house. Wife buys me a new one every holiday.

BenedictGomez

I carry a pocket Swiss army knife on my keys, not the tiny one, blade is 2 - 3". TSA or event security have taken so many that it has become a joke in our house. Wife buys me a new one every holiday.

Have you ever managed to get on the plane with it?